are nursing specific clothes/bras worth the investment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
baby #1 is due in october. i'm trying to figure out if nursing specific tanks/bras/shirts are worth the $$, or if it is more of a gimmick. if specific clothes are worth it: which ones and which ones to get in advance?

thanks
#2 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM

I do like the nursing bras I have....no, actually I don't, I'd prefer to go braless : but I do need something when out in public and they're pretty handy. I've got by just fine without nursing specific clothing and since I'm big breasted it's hard to find stuff that works well anyway. It just depends on your comfort level. I like nice stretchy shirts that I can just lift up.

oh I almost forgot this might be helpful http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html
#3 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 PM

I dunno...it depends on so much.

Before being pregnant, I was barely a 32 A, and now that I'm nursing, I'm a 38 D, so I definitely needed new bras. I tried using the bras I could find at La Senza, but honestly, it was so much better to buy something meant for nursing. That isn't to say I spent tons; I went to Wal-Mart and bought two nursing bras for 15$ each. As for nursing tops, I "invested" in a few from Motherhood Maternity, for about 20$ each, so the expense wasn't astronomical, but I really appreciate being able to access the boobs quickly when DD is impatient. It's also real helpful for nursing in public. Finally, I felt like everything I had in my closet was extremely tight on me (I was about 120 lbs and right now, I've still got 25 pounds to lose) and made me look frumpy. Buying a few choice pieces postpartum gave me the opportunity to treat myself and feel less flabby/shabby.

I think that it's really a question of personal preference. A lot of mamas on MDC have mentioned that they just buy a bunch of cheap tank tops, while others say they need to spend money because they can't find their size in stores.

HTH
#4 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 PM

I like nursing bras alot I found them easier than a regular bra. I had to wear a bra all the time, I needed nursing pads b/c I would start to leak if the baby just wimpered. You won't know if your body will do this until it's to late, and you don't have an extra shirt.

I bought some shirts too, but only a few. It really depends on if your going to be in public alot, and if you can do a blanket over the baby when you nurse..

I got most of my stuff from here, they are great!!!!
http://www.motherwear.com/index.cfm
#5 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 05:03 PM

my personal opinion....it depends.
Nursing bra has been invaluable.

Nursing tanks....not at all because I am large chested (36H@ 6mo PP) so they aren't supportive. But for those who can go with less support they are really useful

Nursing tops, etc w/out built in support. again not really. I just wore regular shirts and pulled them up to nurse....which meant my belly/side was exposed but I never really cared. I do like the nursing sleepwear though...easy access without having to rearrange clothing

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#6 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 PM

Do not spend alot of $$ for these items. I only got a few nursing gowns & a few nursing bras from walmart. I leaked alot while nursing until my baby was a few mos. old. I just kept a hand towel nearby if wearing a gown,then if I was wearing a bra, I used nursing pads. The nursing bras work good, but I really only wore them if we went out.

The cheap items worked for me. I was more comfortable wearing normal clothes...and the gowns were not too comfy to sleep in. They were only nice to lounge around in during the day.

::::: ::
#7 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 PM

it was worth it to me to get a few used items, i don't think i got anything new

although some things were in better shape than others
#8 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 PM

For me I absolutely need to wear a bra so I can't go without my nursing bras.
I find my nursing tank absolutely the best thing ever. I have no issue with breast showing if I NIP (or in front of anyone for that matter) but I absolutely want my fat belly covered.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#9 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 11:22 PM

I had nursing bras with my first dd, though later with the twins and dd4 I mostly used a regular bra that was a shaped sports bra and ended up getting several of them. I just pulled them up like a shirt.

Generally, I would say a few nursing bras are god to have. And it depends on your breast shape and comfort. I went from a C to a D when nursing, I could still pull up the soft stretchy band on most bras without any problem--and I was still getting away with wearing some of my pre-preg bras because they were stretchy and yielding in style.

I never used specialty nursing clothes. Once upon a time I envied them a little when I saw the pretty ads for them. Later a friend gave me some really nice quality basic nursing tops and a cotton dress. I never ended up wearing them or wanting to at all. I realized I hadn't been missing out. Now, I would never even consider a special nursing top of any kind. Any old soft knit tops would be fine--in fact sometimes I get milk stains from leaking and I'd rather know that I was wearing something cheap so I wouldn't care if a stain set in. (I did occasionally use nursing pads when going out somewhere--never just at home.)

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#10 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
IMO, nursing bras are an absolute necessity for sucessful BF. Other women (particularly those with smaller breasts who can go with less support) prefer to go braless or to wear stretchy bras that easily pull up or down.

Nursing clothes are most definitely NOT required- but they can make nursing in public easier and more discrete. Loose-fitting t-shirts and blouses work just fine.

However, sometimes it's nice to get new clothes, and why not get specific nursing clothes if you're BF at the time? I personally found nursing shirts to basically be a waste, but nursing DRESSES are wonderful!

I preferred button-front nightgowns to the special nursing nightgowns. First of all, many times the nursing openings were too small for me! Secondly, if the openings were adequate, they didn't stay closed. I like to be covered when I walk around the house in my pajamas- otherwise why don't I just sleep in my nursing bra and a pair of boxers? (which, BTW, I have done.) I don't want a gown that doesnt stay closed when I'm in the kitchen having breakfast or a late night snack!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 45 Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 PM

Nursing bras were a necessity for me. I tried a few nursing shirts/gowns and I HATED them. It was like they were made for nursing moms with average to small breasts and on me they looked lumpy, my breasts would slip through openings, I could never get the slits to line up with my nipples, etc. It was easier to lift my shirt up.
#12 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the helpful hints for those that bought nursing bras, did you buy before or after the baby was born? will you want a nursing bra right away?
#13 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 AM

i have a couple of nursing tanks and a beautiful nursing dress that i never, ever wear because they are actually HARDER to nurse in than regular clothes. i wear regular shirts that i can pull up and a bella band to cover my tummy (same one i wore to hold my pants up during pregnancy).

i'm a 38H at 6mo pp, so a good nursing bra is absolutely necessary. i love my anita bra. worth every single penny.

immediately postpartum, i only had one bra, a bravado. after a few weeks, i only used it as a sleep bra since it wasn't very supportive. i leaked what seemed like gallons of milk at night for the first few months, so a sleep bra that could handle heavy duty pads (or prefolds) was necessary. nowadays, i sleep topless with my babe and i on a mattress pad since i don't leak much at all.

so, my suggestion is to skip the nursing tops, have at least one nursing bra that'll get you by the first few weeks, then go in and get fitted for the pricier bras once your supply levels a little.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#14 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 AM

I'm wearing a nursing bra right now--one that I bought while pregnant (I outgrew my regular bras and figured I might as well buy a nursing one if I was going up in sizes). My son is 14 months old. So for me, yes, it was worth it. I didn't spend a lot of money, though. I bought nursing bras and tanks from Target. But they are the ony bras that I wear. I expect that I will wear what I have for about another year.

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
#15 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 AM
ssh

I bought my first nursing bra when my DD was about 10 days old. It ended up being too small. It was a 38G and I needed a 38H, and I wore a 38DDD when pregnant.I continued to get bigger until right about 2.5 weeks after my DD was born.
Don't get your nursing bra until your milk has come in.
#16 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 02:01 AM

nak

I bought nursing bras while still pregnant because i figured i couldnt get any bigger. i was right.

i chose to buy a few nursing tops because it was December and my back got cold. i also bought them to cover my floppy belly and to build confidence to nip. now i don't care i buy regular clothes that i can nurse in. loving the strapless sundresses.
#17 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 AM

nursing bra--totally worth it.
nursing clothes--waste of money. I hated them.
#18 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Nursing bras have been great for us. I prefer the kind that flip down, so to speak, rather than pull to the side. I got a couple of plugged ducts before it occurred to me that the pressure from the elastic was the culprit. Nursing tanks I find have been worth the money, too. They are really great for layering and allowed us to nurse more discreetly in public (back when I cared about that). Nursing clothes, though... ehh. I found them more of a bother.
Best of everything to you and your new little one!:

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

#19 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I love my nursing bras, but I'm not at all sure I would bother with special nursing clothes. I pull my regular shirt up, and DS can get at what he needs. I can see the value of a nursing tank to keep your back and belly warm in colder weather. Otherwise... no. I've really been fine with my regular clothes for nursing.
#20 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
For me I absolutely need to wear a bra so I can't go without my nursing bras.
I find my nursing tank absolutely the best thing ever. I have no issue with breast showing if I NIP (or in front of anyone for that matter) but I absolutely want my fat belly covered.
This is me too. I have 4 nursing tanks from Target that I LOVE! Plus you can wear them under regular shirts and if you end up practically taking your shirt off to nurse it's no big deal. I also have a couple of nursing bras that are okay.

I don't think nursing specific shirts are really necessary.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#21 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamleabee View Post
thanks for the helpful hints for those that bought nursing bras, did you buy before or after the baby was born? will you want a nursing bra right away?
I am large chested and need a lot of support so the nursing bras are completely worth it. I went for a professional bra fitting a month before DS arrived. It was amazing and worth it. I bought one semi-expensive bra and then, once I knew my size, a bunch more cheaper bras at a different store.

As for nursing clothes...I find them really awkward. Instead I just use wrap and faux wrap tops. I just pull one side over and unclip my bra and DS nurses to his heart's content. I bought my tops at a store called Jacob Connections for $15 each.
#22 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Nursing Bras totally worth it, nursing clothing? They didn't work for me. A regular tank top or t-shirt under an open button down shirt worked really well for me though I've considered trying those nursing tanks now that they have some more supportive options.

In addition to nursing bras I found those cotton bras that are like a wrap top really useful for sleep. (Blue Canoe "Jane" bra as an example) They aren't strictly nursing bras but worked well at night when I didn't wnat to be fumbling with latches and wasn't worried about modesty but needed quick access. I had to wear a bra at night for a while to keep from leaking everywhere while I slept.
#23 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 02:40 PM

I didn't own any nursing-specific clothes until Naked Baby was over a year. Although I did buy a soft supportive bra in pregnancy (I was braless prekid - and before you assume anything, I'm probably a 44Gish), and a couple shelf tanks when he was a couple months old, which I could just pull down to nurse in (and pull down or up my shirt). Now I own one Bravado nursing tank (and wish I had four more! ), which I love, and was absolutely worth the money, and wish I'd had from the beginning.

Really, I think it depends on what you're used to pre-baby, and what you're like with a baby. Wear a supportive bra all the time? You definitely want a couple nursing bras. Have incredible letdown? You need a bra or shelf tank or something to hold the breast pads. Small breasted and don't leak (hahahahaha!)? You might not need anything. Wear a lot of dresses? You might want to get some wrap-top ones or invest in some nursing clothes.
#24 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM

I haven't read all the replies, but I'll echo those who say it depends. It depends on you, your body, your situation, your preferences! I think it's kind of trial and error, and you'll figure out what works for you.

My situation: I'm petite and have a 36C bust size when nursing. I work outside the home 4 days a week, so I pump at work. I definitely find nursing bras and the nursing tanks to be useful. I wear them every day. I also like the "sports bra" style of nursing bra for nighttime and weekend use - just shove the bra aside and nurse. I didn't like nursing tops - if I'm going to be nursing in public, I just wear a nursing tank b/c it covers my belly and pull up my regular tshirt. At bedtime, I wear the sportsbra style bra and a large tshirt. When it's time to nurse, I yank up my tshirt and pull the bra over, nurse, and then pull things back into place when done.

If I had to choose one thing over the others, I'd go with the nursing tanks. I really love them, but I've heard they don't work as well for larger busted women. I like both Glamourmom and the ones from Target.
#25 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 PM

I had a couple of (mostly worn out) nursing bras from my mom. They didn't fit well at all but they did get me through the first couple of weeks until I was past engorgement and able to get a good idea of *my* size and order proper bras. I'd say it's not a bad idea to get a couple of cheap (or even used) nursing bras for that purpose. I would not have wanted to get $40 bras that only fit for two weeks, you know?
That said, I am larger busted, and having some top quality nursing bras is VITAL. If you are small, you may be able to get away with tanks. I can use tanks now, but I couldn't for about the first 10 months. I didn't pay for nursing tanks, i just got the ones with a shelf bra and pulled them down...of course, I didn't wear them alone either--I wore them under my regular shirt. That way they covered my belly--tee up + tank down = modest nursing.
I had to wear a bra night and day for the first 10 months because i leaked so much even at night and I needed the bra to hold the pads in place. Seriously, the right bras make a world of difference. :
I have had a couple of nursing tops and honestly they drive me crazy. I have gotten rid of all but one because the layers and slits are just a hassle. Wear plain shirts that are a little loose or a little stretchy, and just pull them up. (In other words, wear your normal clothes!) I had a couple of tops that were not nursing friendly, but most of them adapted just fine.

BTW, I got my nursing bras at www.birthandbaby.com and I was REALLY happy with them. They are super helpful if you call the number and they can help you find what you need. I thought I knew what I wanted, but also got the bra they recommended to me--turns out I like their recommendation better than the one I picked out myself! Go figure!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#26 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamleabee View Post
I bought two sleep nursing bras from motherhood...easy to get in/out, comfortable and no hooks/snaps to mess with. When DS was a couple weeks old I went out and bought a couple of good nursing bras. I still use my sleeping bras but I'll have to get new nursing bras soon (as my cup size has decreased a bit)....DS is almost 11mo.

Just make sure you have someone who knows that they're doing measure you and help you try on several different styles so you find the right one.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#27 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 PM

I've found that I don't even use nursing bras the right way when I do wear them. It's a PITA in my opinion to unclasp them when you can just as easily slide them up over the boob.

As for needing them due to leaking, I am a major league leaker (STILL 2 mo later) and Lilypadz has worked well for me (no bra required<- to hold them in place).

As for special clothes, nah. If you're worried about descretion and accessibility wearing a tank under another shirt (or another tank) will give you tummy and cleavage coverage. I just pull down the under tank and pull the over shirt up. Ta-da! No special equipment needed.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#28 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm medium-busted and don't leak. Never did, not with either kidling, beyond the first few engorgement days (and was wishing to leak then!). Over the last almost-two-years, I've managed to collect six nursing bras, two nursing tanks, and three nursing tops, plus two "shelf bras" that I use for nursing. I love most of them, but absolutely adore my Mimi Maternity Snap-Front nursing bras; they are so much easier for me than the drop cups. I have two tanks from Target, one top from Motherhood, and two from Expressiva. If you're a tightly-budgeted mama and looking at nursingwear as an investment, then I'd say they're probably not worth it. Except for a couple of well-fitted nursing bras, all the rest is just for fun.
#29 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 PM

I think nursing bras are essential. I wore a soft sports-bra like one or a nursing tank for about the first month b/c I had a lot of fluctuation in size throughout the day. Later I switched to Medela. There used to be a nursing bra listed at title 9 that had adjustable cups that I always thought looked really clever.

Nursing shirts are IMO harder to use than a regular shirt. I have one dress that I like
#30 of 45 Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM

I got a few nursing tops that came in super-handy when DD was up to 3 months old. She was born in winter so the warmth of staying covered was nice, plus nursing CONSTANTLY. I almost never wear them now, only if I'm going to be out & about all day and it's somewhat cool out.

Nursing tanks are great, but be aware that they don't provide any coverage if you don't have anything on over top - when you unhook the side, you are all boob!

Nursing bras, I find indispensable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page