Mirena IUD & breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering whether I should take the mini-pill or get a Mirena installed, as a form of postpartum contraception. I'm at 6 wk postpartum, breastfeeding exclusively, so I think things are well established, but I'm a bit paranoid about diminishing supply. I'm not one of those mamas who leaks breastmilk all over the place (or at all); DD has been gaining weight steadily so I know I'm making enough for her, but...I'm still paranoid.

Has anyone had experience with either of these contraceptive methods while breastfeeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 PM

i had supply issues with LO #1 and LO#2 at 4 mos and i didn't use BC -but this time i had the mirena put in and i am still nursing strong at 8 mos. so it hasn't caused any problems thus far and i had it done at 8 weeks....
#3 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I had the Mirena put in at 7 weeks post-partum and had no noticeable affects on my supply. My LO is now 7 months and we are also going strong
#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM

Mirena had no effect on my bountiful supply!
#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM

If you are worried, you could try the mini pill for a month, and then if there is no drop in your supply, the IUD should be safe. At least if you take the pills and see a drop you can stop quickly and haven't paid $$$ for the IUD!
#6 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 03:19 AM

Why not simply get a copper IUD, and not have to worry about the hormones?

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#7 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

hmm, I'm sort of worried about my body's reaction to the copper; I tend to have massive allergies of all kinds (contact, food-related, airborne, etc). My doctor mentioned that this could be an issue, which is why she suggested the Mirena.

Another Mirena question; does it really make you bleed a lot more? Before being preggo, and before going on the pill, I had massively long periods, with tons of painful cramping and clotting. It was so bad that I decided to take the pill. On the pill, my periods were a breeze: 4 days max, light bleeding, no cramps.
#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Another Mirena user here and my supply has never been affected and I only occasionally spot....no real periods.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Mirena makes periods lighter, not heavier. Taking the BC (minipill) first to see how you go is not a great idea - the level of hormones in your blood from Mirena is only 10% that of the minipill, so it could well be that a woman who copes fine with the Mirena level would lose her milk/letdown on the minipill level.
#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
Taking the BC (minipill) first to see how you go is not a great idea - the level of hormones in your blood from Mirena is only 10% that of the minipill.
I had no idea the difference was so great - thanks for the info!
#11 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

I am on the same boat, debating bewtween the mini-pill and mirena. I am quite afraid of all the side effects mirena has but haven't heard much about the mini-pill... Anyone wants to share their experiences?

Gigi
#12 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM

I've never BF with Mirena but i BF with the minipill. I didn't get AF for 54 days (it had returned 6 weeks PP despite full on-demand BF) and my let-down pretty much vanished overnight. DD began breast refusal, i coulnd't pump, i resorted to FF comp, my thyroid failed (pre-existing problem there, not the BCP) and i lost my milk. I had to wean at 7 months PP. Some women have used it without issues but i wasn't one of them. I will try Mirena after my next one but i wouldn't touch the MBCP again...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page