Breast Pumps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
Can anyone recommend a great breast pump. Initially it will be used only once and a while, but when I go back to work I will be pumping every day. Which pump is best?
Thanks so much,
Robyn
#2 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 AM

http://medelabreastfeedingus.com/pro...ulder-bag-2008

I had this one and it worked great!
#3 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 AM

If you're going to be pumping a lot while at work, the Avent Isis IQ is pretty rad, but a bit spendy. The Medela Pump In Style Advanced is good too.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 03:02 AM

I love my Medela! I is an older model though, not sure which one.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#5 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 AM

I love my Medela PIS. If I had to buy it all over again I would!

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#6 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM

I love my Ameda Purely Yours....it's about the same price as the Medela but the milk never comes in contact with the tubing.

The Lansinoh pump has gotten really good reviews as well (both online and from people I know) and it's a little less expensive...
#7 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM

I started with an Avent manual that I detested. We then sprung for the Medela PIS, which I LOVE. I pump every day at home and 3-4 times a week at work. It's comfortable, efficient, and clean-up is a breeze.

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

#8 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM

I am glad that you posted this. I am due in April and want a good double electric pump. I have no clue which to get. I had decided to get the Playtes Embrace, but then I read some bad things about it. Then, I decided on the Medela PIS Advance, but now I keep reading about how the milk always get pulled into the tubing and how bad that is. I don't know which to pick. I want the best, but there is no clear answer to that.
#9 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndixiemom View Post
Then, I decided on the Medela PIS Advance, but now I keep reading about how the milk always get pulled into the tubing and how bad that is.
I have the Medela pump and I don't have this happen. I think maybe once when I pumped so much I overflowed the bottle and the milk had nowhere to go except back up the tube, but if I would've paid attention and switched out bottles it wouldn't have happened.
#10 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM

I used the Ameda purely yours and it was great. Will definitely be using it again when this baby gets here.
#11 of 24 Old 08-31-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetnpreacherswife View Post
I love my Ameda Purely Yours....it's about the same price as the Medela but the milk never comes in contact with the tubing.

The Lansinoh pump has gotten really good reviews as well (both online and from people I know) and it's a little less expensive...
I *love* my Lansinoh. Reasonable price and does the job. Very small, too. I just put it in a little tote bag, since it doesn't come with one.

Loving DH :, chasing DS (3/08) and getting to know sweet DD (born 3/10 at home).
#12 of 24 Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Medela Freestyle!!! It's a new hands free pump that has a rechargeable battery with at least a 4 hour life so there's no need to find an outlet when you need to pump. The pump also fits in the palm of your hand and has a memory button to remember your pumping cycle. I used the PISA EPing for 18 months and the Freestyle blows that pump out of the water.
#13 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 AM

I don't want to hi-jack, but I have a question since both of the following pumps were mentioned.

I keep reading that the Ameda Purely Yours doesn't allow the milk to come into contact with the tubing, but the Pump In Style does. Is this a big deal? It seems like the PIS is really popular. Just wondering if this is a good reason to opt for the Purely Yours instead of the PIS?
#14 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by editornj View Post
I *love* my Lansinoh. Reasonable price and does the job. Very small, too. I just put it in a little tote bag, since it doesn't come with one.
Just got this pump. Love it.
#15 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

I have the Medela PISA and I love it! So far the milk has never come in contact with the tubing at all.
#16 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM

For my first baby we were pretty tight on cash. I decided on the PY because I was getting it used. It (and i think the lasinoh becasue they are basically the same) are the only pumps that are allowed to be multi-user pumps. They have a closed system so no bodily fluids can come in contact with the machinery.

I will be replacing my PY this time becasue after 2 years of use with the previous owner and a year of 2-3 times a day pumping at work from me, it is sounding a little funny. But I am getting either the Lasinoh or another PY because i can still use all my same parts (of which I havea ton) on the new one too.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#17 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I love my Medela PISA! It got me through 10 months of EPing for dd and it is still going strong. Right now I pump at least once a day for ds. I have never had any problem with the milk backing up into the tubes. Actually I have had no problems at all with it. If I had to get it all over again I would...although that Medela Freestyle looks awesome!!!

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
#18 of 24 Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM

I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced, it seems to do the trick for me.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#19 of 24 Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 AM

use my medela pump in style advanced daily. 17mths of use so far - in the beginning used it as much as 10-14 times a day and now only once a day. i don't LOVE my pump - it's not exactly fun, but it definitely got my supply enough so that i never had to supplement.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#20 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM

i have the medela PIS. it works well for me.

i've never had milk go into the tubing, but condensation does form in the tubing. the manual tells you to leave the pump on with the tubing unattached for a few minutes after using it so the moisture can dry out.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#21 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM

I also love the Medela Freestyle!
#22 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM

So glad this thread is here, I was going to start one!

I'm trying to decide b/w the Medela PIS Advanced and the Freestyle. My main reason for wanting the Freestyle is, of course, the hands free. But looking at the box, it looks strange. Is it comfortable having the bottles (or bags) hanging off of you like that? Do the shoulder straps really support? The cost is so much higher that I wonder how inconvenient is it, really, to be forced to sit in a comfy spot to pump? Any advice?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM

I use the PIS, but have also heard good things about PJ's Comfort Pump by Limerick. www.limerickinc.com
#24 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM

another vote for MEDELA FREESTYLE!!!

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

Tags
Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page