how does your milk change when pg? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-29-2001, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard that if your toddler is going to wean when you are pg, it usu happens in the first trimester because that's when your milk supply dwindles - is this true? I have a 23 mo old that is still bf and I still just love it, we have so much fun. I think I will be v. sad if my pg causes her to self wean. Then I think what it might be like to be tandem nursing and my head spins!!
#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2001, 01:46 AM

My milk didn't entirely disappear until the middle of my current pregnancy. My 18 month old all but stopped nursing at this point. He would ask once in awhile but only laugh and pretend to nurse for a second or two. Now at 8 months pg I have a bit of pre-colostrum coming in and my ds was right on it - nursing every other day or so now. Maybe I will be tandem nursing after all!
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2001, 02:13 AM

That is interesting, Hoosky. My 17 month old is still trying to nurse about 3x a day but it seems I have NO milk. I don't hear any swallowing and she wants to switch sides right after starting. I am currently about 20 weeks pregnant. How far along are you mtnmama?
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2001, 02:48 AM

from what I understand the taste is one of the things that change...some toddlers don't like it...but look at your little glutton all over that colostrum!!!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2001, 02:59 AM

It seems like it goes different for each mother and child. My ds stopped nursing after both my milk disappeared AND he had a couple of full days in daycare - not our normal routine. Before that though, he was doing similar things as your ds, Cosmos. Switching and no swallowing. Abimommy, I was actually a; little bummed when he picked up nursing again. I've been enjoying the space, but since we've been fighting a cold I'm hoping the colostrum will help his immune system - plus it is nice to have some special cuddle time with him before he's a big brother!
#6 of 6 Old 12-03-2001, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Too soon to worry about it, is was it sounds like. I am only a few weeks, I haven't even been to the midwife yet. Thanks for the tips - I'll be on the look out for a "sour puss" face or frustration when/if my milk stops. It is encouraging to hear that she may start up again later in the pg - I will just have to wait and see.
Its hard to believe that she might just Stop! she is such an eager bf!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page