IS this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI My beautiful daughter is nine months old. She is developing normally in all areas and is generally a very happy and content baby. I do have one minor concern though.

She does not put anything in her mouth. Not her toys or toes or any food. Once in a blue moon she will chew her fist but that is all. If I try to give her a taste of solids she clamps her gums shut at the sight of it and turns her head. SHe is very emphatic about NOT wanting it. Needless to say she is 100% breastfed. This does not concern me- she obviously is getting enough as she is one delicious chunky monkey . Is it normal though that she does not put anything in her mouth?

WHen she was five months she was really sick and was hospitalized and given some gross oral medication. I think maybe the memory of it has turned her off putting things in her mouth?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 03:51 PM

I would just keep an eye on her. Do you participate in Parents as Teachers? They are helpful in screening for potential areas of concern, so if you work with them and continue doing so that might alleviate some concern. The reason I ask is my nephew was like that and it turned out he is autistic. I am sure plenty of babies do this and are not, I do not mean to panic you. I just am letting you know to be aware. In the end, I think mother's/father's intuition is the best diagnosis. IN her heart, my sister came to know something was wrong. If you don't feel that way, I wouldn't worry, I would just keep an eye out on your beautiful babe.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM

It wasn't until 10 months that DS started being interested in putting stuff in his mouth and even then he was year before he actually started eating anything significant. He's a happy and healthy 14 mo though so I'm not concerned

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
I would just keep an eye on her. Do you participate in Parents as Teachers? They are helpful in screening for potential areas of concern, so if you work with them and continue doing so that might alleviate some concern. The reason I ask is my nephew was like that and it turned out he is autistic. I am sure plenty of babies do this and are not, I do not mean to panic you. I just am letting you know to be aware. In the end, I think mother's/father's intuition is the best diagnosis. IN her heart, my sister came to know something was wrong. If you don't feel that way, I wouldn't worry, I would just keep an eye out on your beautiful babe.
Thanks for the info but I am 100% sure she does not have autism or even any autistic traits. I am not worried it is something major, mostly just curious if other babies her age are doing this too. At 9 months her brother was putting everything in his mouth.

Dogmom, thanks for your answer. Anyone else?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM

ds almost never put anything in his mouth. never even "mouthed" anything - not his hand, not toys or objects, nothing. he too was uninterested in solids for a long time. i would say it wasn't until he was a good 17 months or so that he was getting any significant nutrition from sources other than the breast. he certainly to this day has a limited repertoire of foods that he prefers, but he eats a balanced diet.
oh, i noticed he also never drooled. really. just didn't. he was a hellacious teether - i always wondered if he would just chew on stuff and drool if it would be easier for him, but he was all about the boob.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM

Yup, my firstborn never put anything in his mouth either. Enjoy the freedom you have to keep tiny things out...because my second born eats EVERYTHING. I have had to do more baby-proofing in the last three months than I had to do in 2 years with Joey.

As far as solids go, they absolutely do NOT need any solids before they are one. And then, go slow.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Yeah, with a two-year-old around too it sure is easy not to have to babyproof to much.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 AM

There are all different variations of "normal". DS#2 couldn't eat without gagging until about 11/12 months.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 AM

I agree that there are different definitions of 'normal'. Like you said, she is getting the proper nutrition through breastfeeding, so I wouldn't worry right now. Keep an eye on her if it doesn't get better. You said she was hospitalized and had a yucky med. Taste aversion is the strongest conditioning principle, so it is possible that may play into it. Take care, and I'm sure she'll be fine.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

User Tag List