can I bf immediately after baby's surgery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (7 months) is going under a general anesthetic to have her tongue tie (hopefully) finally fixed. The hospital is not bf-friendly. They told me no bf for 6.5 hours before surgery, despite the fact that current standards seem to be no bf for 3 to 4 hours before surgery. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html

I'm going to bf up until 3.5 to 4 hours prior to surgery and lie to the hospital about it because I'm not going to needlessly starve and dehydrate my baby.

What should I expect post-op? Will they let me bf her as soon as she wants to eat after she wakes up? Will they insist that she have water or some nasty concoction of high fructose corn syrup instead of bm right after she wakes up? She has never had any liquids other than bm. I need to know if I should prepare to do battle about nursing after the procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Can you call and ask? I would call and ask to speak to the nurse manager. Explain to them the situation and state that you want to be sure that you will be able to nurse immediately. Be sure to get her name and position so that you can arm yourself with that info post-surgery.

Best of luck!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Breastmilk is a "clear liquid" and should be allowed as soon as "clear liquids" are allowed including pre and post op.
#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid, so if they are "allowing" sugar water/formula, breastmilk should definetly be allowed. Perhaps a letter from her ped would help?

Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Is GA really necessary? I don't mean to second-guess you as I'm sure you have explored your options, but it's such a simple surgery. When DS had his done, the doctor used a spray-on local anesthetic, clamped the skin, one snip, and he was back in my arms in 5 minutes. He didn't even cry. If you can't find a doctor to work with you, you might want to talk to a dentist. I know they will also clip tongue-ties, and it may not be such an ordeal.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 PM

We ran into this when my daughter had ear tubes (8 months). Her surgery was at 6 am so I nursed her at midnight and then held off until after surgery. They tried to give her juice and told me she had to drink that and keep it down before they'd let her leave. I just told the nurse "my child doesn't get juice. She will be breastfed - it's better for her." They tried to argue that they wanted something "Easy" on her stomach and I told them breastmilk was sure easier than juice.

They hospital really can't make you do anything you don't want. Just be firm with them.
#7 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterella View Post
Is GA really necessary? I don't mean to second-guess you as I'm sure you have explored your options, but it's such a simple surgery. When DS had his done, the doctor used a spray-on local anesthetic, clamped the skin, one snip, and he was back in my arms in 5 minutes. He didn't even cry. If you can't find a doctor to work with you, you might want to talk to a dentist. I know they will also clip tongue-ties, and it may not be such an ordeal.
yeah, I wish it was that easy. She had the in-office quick snip done by a resident at 4 months but he didn't do it all the way. What's left is too thick and hard to get to and requires a z plasty--and she's too big to be held still now--so thay said it has to be a GA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page