Sugar cravings so bad my health is at risk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm not kidding here: my sugar craings are so bad that I am considering stopping breastfeeding as eating entire boxes of candy in one sitting are eventually going to have a bad effect on my health.

I'm currently breastfeeding my 10mo and 3 yo.

Before I take drastic measures, is there anything I can do to stop the sugar cravings?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Eat lots of fat and protein. I too struggled with eating an entire package of Twizzlers (one of the huge packages meant to serve like 100 people) a day. The only thing that worked was switching to a more natural diet with lots of fat and protein. I almost never eat sugar now. I would have never in a million years thought I'd get to this point.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM

I have massive cravings for bad carbs... candy especially. Some days, I drink three litres of grape juice. We buy 2 one gallon jugs at Costco and they last three days.

I don't know what you can do. I've also had problems with sugar cravings when me and baby were both dealing with yeast, but I think that providing milk for two is probably your source.

Some things I've done is replace the pop with juice, and candy with dried fruit. I wish I could eat better... but I just don't want healthy, balanced meals. I want massive quantities of bad carbs.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Just wanted to throw this out there: Have you had your thyroid checked recently? I've been having thryroid issues since my dd was born and when I am hyperthyroid I crave sugar like crazy.

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go get my thyroid checked, just to be sure.

I ate so much suagr today I actually have a migraine now.

Dogmom, how long did it take for you to stop craving sugar?
How much fat and from what sources?

I see you're into fermented cultures - so am I and I hope it will help witht he sugar nasties!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:19 PM

are sugar cravings related to breastfeeding??

eta: i am SO glad to read this! i honestly thought i had just lost all self control!!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Eat plenty of fat (I eat EV olive oil, coconut oil, avacados, lots of nuts and seeds), protein (I eat a lot of chicken, eggs and beans) and as many green and orange vegetables as you possibly can. Raw, sauteed (in olive oil - adds fat and makes it more satisfying), blended and added to smoothies, grated and added to every dish you can.

If you (or your family) are not that crazy about plain veggies, this is a good book.

I get awful carb and sugar cravings when I do not get my vegetables. Vitamin deficiencies and all that.. but my body wants the quick fix.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 PM

I agree - eat good fats & protein. As for how much, I believe RDA is to get like 15-20% of calories from protein & 15% from fat, with the rest from carbs. You might want to try increasing each of those by 5-10% points.
I use a great website called fitday.com to keep track of nutrition. Enter what you eat & it creates a great little pie-chart of where your cals come from. (Tip - don't use the "search" to find the food you eat, you get pages of results! Use the browse to get to the exact food.)

Also, a low GI (Glycemic Index) diet helps because then you won't get too hungry & your belly will be full. But generally a diet higher in good fats & protein & a diet with carbs from GOOD healthy carbs will be low GI by default anyway, for the most part.

I have fought with major, horrible sugar cravings MY ENTIRE LIFE! So it's nothing new (BFing hasn't increased it.) For me, it's an emotional thing - I'm a stress eater & I crave sugar. LOL, BFing has been painful - & therefore majorly stressful, so I don't know if there has been a physiological increase in my normal stress-caused sugar cravings.

If you think it's stress-related, let me know if you'd like my tips. I have PAGES of tips I've compiled over the years on this. It's such a tough issue for some of us. LOL, I could just never understand how DH could have a package of chocolate chip cookies in the house & just have about 2 a night. I have 2, crave 2 more... can think of nothing else till I have a few more... it's awful!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Yep, been there, and FAT and PROTEIN are your answer.

Nuts (mix in dried fruit if you want), nut butters, coconut oil (cook or bake with, or just take a few TBs every day), dairy butter, olive oil. Protein: hard boiled eggs, meat if you do meat.

Mix fat with fruits and vegetables to get better vitamin and mineral absorption. Spinach sauteed in olive oil = awesome.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerius View Post
I'm going to go get my thyroid checked, just to be sure.

I ate so much suagr today I actually have a migraine now.

Dogmom, how long did it take for you to stop craving sugar?
How much fat and from what sources?

I see you're into fermented cultures - so am I and I hope it will help witht he sugar nasties!
It actually was very quick--a few days. You are getting lots of good suggestions on fat and protein items to eat. For a quick snack on the run I normally turn to nuts and cheese or a big glass of raw milk. I've also found making a smoothie before I go to bed at night is quick and easy and then I have it for the next day. I usually mix fruit, dairy kefir and yogurt with some sweetener (stevia or honey).

Cultures and ferments have helped me too. Particularly kombucha and water kefir. You probably won't want to start kombucha right now (due to detox effects) but water kefir is wonderful and helps digestion which helps you retain more of the vitamins and minerals you need right now.

You might also want to check out the traditional foods forum. Lots of people eating very high protein and fat diets over there

Please feel free to PM me too if I can help in any way. I know how frustrating it is to go through this!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM

You can also google hypoglycemic diet for more tips - I'm hypoglycemic and I crave sugar like none other unless my diet is controlled with fats and proteins. They REALLY help!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM

PROTEIN. It can't be said too many times.

A friend of mine has liver problems and therefore sees an endrocrinologist and nutritionist regularly, and all of her by the book medicos even know that sugar cravings are a huge cry for protein. It wants energy, and quick sugars are quick ways of getting that energy, but what the body is really wanting is protein. If she can get a piece of cheese or something quick, her sugar cravings will fade quickly.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

These replies are so interesting!

Regarding water kefir - I have some on the go but haven't tried it yet....I'm worried bc it has so much sugar in it. Can someone clarify that pls?

I would LOVE tips on managing stress/emotional eating.

I'm scared to eat too much fat. Would 2oz cheese, a cup of milk, 1TB oil and 1TB of seeds be enough? That's usually the 'added' fat I allow myself - when I've had a healthy day that is!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM

You might find that once you are getting more protein, you will have more healthy days because you won't be craving so much. As to the amount of fat - honestly, that wouldn't be enough fat for me before I was pregnant and it's definitely not enough for me now that I'm bfing. However, I would try upping the protein first and then work on the fat - chicken, tuna, turkey are all great low fat sources of protein. You can also snack on peanut butter (unless you are off of it for allergic reasons) and deli meats for quick protein fixes when you are craving sugar. If you are anything like me when I am craving food, I need it NOW! and making something just takes too long. Another hypoglycemic quick fix is to have a drink of orange juice or apple juice to get your blood sugar up temporarily and then back it up with protein of some sort to keep it up.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM

I totally agree with the pp's but when you can't help it, and you really want something sweet, go for really raw honey, preferably manuka. You could even mix with with chocolate/carob, coconut oil, nuts etc...then you've got some healthy fat and protien at the same time, and it taste soo good.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why are you avoiding fat? You're eating for 3, and it's very likely that you haven't been getting enough total calories if you've been restricting fat so much! The sugar cravings could be simply "cravings for calories".

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM

any chance you're dealing with a YI or thrush? we tend to crave sugar more when we have yeast because they live on it.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehairedwoman View Post
any chance you're dealing with a YI or thrush? we tend to crave sugar more when we have yeast because they live on it.
Another reason for the manuka honey, it produces natural hydrogen peroxide that helps control candida/yeast. and the coconut oil of course.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM

I saw this thread in New Posts, so I hope it’s OK if I pop in and give my 2 cents.

Quote:
I'm scared to eat too much fat. Would 2oz cheese, a cup of milk, 1TB oil and 1TB of seeds be enough? That's usually the 'added' fat I allow myself - when I've had a healthy day that is!
No, that’s not nearly enough fat for anyone, especially not for a breastfeeding mother. Try tripling the quantities of milk, cheese, and seeds you eat and see if it helps with the sugar cravings. Also, eat some eggs and meat or chicken every day--if you’re not vegetarian.

I also suffer from sugar cravings from time to time, and the more fat and protein I eat, the less I crave sweets. If people don’t eat enough fat, they end up replacing those missing calories with sugar.

Check out the Traditional Foods Forum.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM

I'd also suggest reading "Eat Fat to Lose Fat"
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM

This thread is making so much sense. Thank you so much. I do find that it helps when I eat snack on nuts!

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM

That is not enough fat. Not for anyone, and certainly not for a mother nursing two.

The "fat is bad" idea comes from the same folks who want us to eat 11 servings of refined carbs a day. Fat -- the right fat -- is good! Eat avocados and coconut oil and seeds and free-range, grass fed eggs, meat and dairy, and you don't have to worry about the supposed risks of fat consumption (which are really from sugar consumption or trans fat consumption!).

When I seriously upped my healthy fat consumption, my bad cholesterol and triglycerides went WAY down, and I lost weight.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
L-Glutamine (available at health food stores) helps with sugar cravings. Also, avoid eating corn! It triggers sugar cravings in most people.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 AM

Yup, I just have to jump on the "yay fat!" bandwagon here and say that the more sugar you eat, the more sugar you will crave.

It's a drug, people. (Tries really really hard NOT to preach about the evils of sugar. Fails.)

I would even be very careful with raw honey at this point. If you are having major sugar cravings, consuming ANY sugar at all is going to be bad news. Raw honey can be added in later...once you have detoxed a little.

I LOVE a big salad with homemade goat cheese, scrambled eggs or a few nuts, and plenty of full-fat salad dressing. It's incredibly satisfying and absolutely will not cause you to gain weight.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 AM

Wow! I am so glad I read this thread. I was wondering why I've lost all of the baby weight, but seem to be eating more - but I've been eating lots of protein, almonds and avocados... and I have been eating too much candy. Most is dark chocolate, but still. I think I'll eat more avocado!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

The problem is that I'm 180lbs for 5"4 so if anything I'm getting more calories than needed.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The problem is that I'm 180lbs for 5"4 so if anything I'm getting more calories than needed.
When I quit my Twizzler addiction and started eating lots of protein and fat, I immediately lost about 10 lbs. I also had way more energy and suddenly didn't constantly feel like I needed a nap. I agree wholeheartedly with staciemao, sugar is a horrible drug and does nasty things to your body. On the other hand, your body knows exactly what to do with fat and protein. Fat is necessary to absorb nutrients, etc.

You may not be eating too many calories (in fact I'd be surprised if you are). Your body will hold on to weight if you aren't getting enough. From your body's perspective, it's afraid of starving particularly when you are eating for three! Also, carbs are one of the only things that tells our bodies to hold on to fat (here is an awesome article on this: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...m_source=iPost). I also second the PP suggestion to read the book Eat Fat, Lose Fat. There is great information in there. If I eat mostly fats and protein with a few healthy carb sources thrown in (my main ones are raw organic dairy products, veggies and a little fruit), I lose weight consistently even when I eat 3,000 calories a day (I'm nursing a 14 mo and I'm not currently pregnant).

As for the sugar in water kefir...I'm really sugar sensitive as it turns out and I don't react at all to water kefir. In fact once I figured out I didn't react to it, I started drinking at least a quart a day. Good stuff!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 PM

holy cow! I am so happy I came across this post! ---i've never really liked Twizzlers before but have been getting a bag every couple days and can eat them all! I feel SO out of control! I was so able to eat not much sugar while pregnant (have a 3 mo old nursing!)

I actually have been concentrating on getting TONZ of veggies and fruit too9all carbs--duh!). i try to limit my oil i cook with and have dairy here and there...i never imagined it could be me not getting enough!

would a half breast of chicken be enough protein with getting some in leafy greens too?!! in a day?

i have gained 4 lbs since baby! ugh--last time I breastfed i gained 10 lbs and lost it the week I stopped bfing when he was 1 yr old! it this just a falacy I'm telling myself and I really CAN lose weight?

last time I thought it was because I wasn't getting ENOUGH calories...this time It hought i was getting lots
Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Nope. All calories are not the same.

Do check out Eat Fat Lose Fat and the Traditional Foods forum.

I didn't do it with weight loss as my goal, but for a while I was eating close to 3000 calories a day (I used FitDay to keep track), lots of fat and protein, not much carb, and *losing* weight. If I eat a lot of carbs, 1800 calories a day will make me put on weight.

Oh, and LBMarie, that would certainly not be enough protein for me. Nor enough fat.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
would a half breast of chicken be enough protein with getting some in leafy greens too?!! in a day?

last time I thought it was because I wasn't getting ENOUGH calories...this time It hought i was getting lots
It really is all about getting the "right" calories. Our society tells many lies and one of them is that we should cut calories or eat lots of carbs to lose weight. Major weight loss programs (i.e. Weight Watchers) are based on this concept and although you can temporarily lose weight this way, it's at the expense of your health.

Half a chicken breast is no where near enough protein! You need to be getting a substantial amount of protein with each meal (try for 25 grams at each meal or 75 to 100 grams a day). The following things are approximately 25 grams of protein:

--A whole chicken breast or 1 1/2 chicken thighs
--A piece of steak or fish (depends on size, but the standard deck of cards size portion is probably right in there)
--3 ounces of cheese
--3 whole eggs
--1 1/4 cup of beans
--A smoothie made with 24 ounces of dairy products (yogurt, kefir, milk--whole milk preferably)

There are many more but hopefully this gives you some ideas. Really though, you shouldn't have to take time and energy counting things beyond maybe the first week. If you are making protein and fat the majority of what you are eating and getting some fruits and veggies in, you can eat until you're satisfied. Personally I think the biggest danger for us busy nursing moms is not eating enough. Be sure to always have fat/protein combo snacks around such as slices of cheese (just cut up a block of cheese for your own cheese sticks), nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.), a smoothie made with fruit, yogurt, kefir, etc. in the fridge.

A personal favorite of mine these days for the grab-and-go snack is nut butter balls (drink a big glass of milk with these--delicious!):

Recipe 1:
2 cups nut butter
1 cup coconut oil
5 T. honey
Mix together, let it harden in the freridgerator then form into balls and roll in shredded coconut, chopped nuts, cocoa powder, etc.

Recipe 2:
1/2 cup nut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup oatmeal (you can run the oatmeal through the blender for a smoother consistency)
1 cup coconut flour or run shredded coconut through the blender
Mix together and form into balls.

User Tag List