Home remedy for cracked nipples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am moving in a few days and my nipple cream is packed away, buried. Now I have a breast infection and one of my nipples has a big cracking wound on it. I was wondering if there was anything I might have around the house to help soothe my sore nipple so that I don't have to buy more cream (I would never use the whole thing so it would just be a waste). Does anyone have any info? TIA.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#2 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
I am moving in a few days and my nipple cream is packed away, buried. Now I have a breast infection and one of my nipples has a big cracking wound on it. I was wondering if there was anything I might have around the house to help soothe my sore nipple so that I don't have to buy more cream (I would never use the whole thing so it would just be a waste). Does anyone have any info? TIA.
Leave some milk on them and let them air dry.

Lanisoh would really fix you up... do you have somebody who might spot you a sample pack? I know what you mean about buying a new tube. I have a whole tube I never use. (You aren't near me, are you?)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM

I second the breast milk idea. It really does help heal it. Saline soaks would really help too. Use a half teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water. Soak the nipples for 5 minutes of so. It is really soothing. Check Kellymom.com for more info on the 'normal saline soaks'. You might want to buy a pack of Soothies to help heal the nipples too. I hope you feel better soon. Sue
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Oh I'm sorry you're dealing with that on TOP Of moving, ugh! You may have already gotten an answer but I ditto the breastmilk on it... Also going with out a bra and just wearing a light cotton t-shirt as much as you possibly can. I had horrible horrible cracking in my nipples hte first 2 mos with DD... It finally healed in 1 week when I went around in nothing but a cotton shirt...kellymom might have some suggestions for your situation: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html hope you heal soon!

Oh and you might try calling your local hospitals mother/baby unit they might have some lansioh samples you could use... OR try your OB/midwives office I knew they often'll have stuff available.

Hannah ... wife to Ryan ...Mommie to my girlies. RJ Dec '07 ~ AJ Aug '09~ PJ Jan '12

peace loving Friend ~ selective vax ~ sleep sharing~ gentle parenting~ doing what works for us and learning as we go!

#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM

I couldn't use creams b/c I had thrush, so I didn't want to use my milk for the same reason/
Salt water soaks SAVED MY NIPPLES!!! Seriously. It really works.
I did 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water, and soaked my nipples for about 5 minutes after every feeding, pat dry, then walked around with no bra until I was completely dry.
I still do the soaks when I start to get a little sore, and it help my nipples feel better.

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
#6 of 7 Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Yep-salt water soaks work wonders!!!
#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the advice, mommas! MDC is a life saver. : The saltwater bath sounds very soothing, I'm going to try that today.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page