Mothering Forum banner

buying nursing bras vs. regular bras at 20wks pg

600 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Ligeia 
#1 ·
Okay, you ladies are the experts. I'm going on 20wks pregnant and this being a first baby, I have no idea what to do. I need new bras, and quickly! My 36C has become something like a 36 or 38DD almost overnight. My question is, at this point, should I just go ahead and buy decent nursing bras, or should I just get regular bras in a bigger size? I plan to pump when I go back to work (eventually), so I will need nursing bras that keep me looking decent under clothing and are easy to access for workday pumping. What do you all think?

Thanks for the advice!

#2 ·
Don't buy nursing bras now. Your breasts are going to change again once your baby is born.

I'd just go to Target or a similar place and buy some inexpensive bras to get you through the rest of your pregnancy.

Around your stage of pregnancy, I really liked the Gap Essential Bra (I think that's the name of it). It's sort of a sports bra style - no hooks, no cups, but very comfy. It had a lot of give and grew with my boobs.

#3 ·
I agree, they may even change some more before baby comes, so buy something inexpensive, but comfy. Your in for a lot of changes! Maybe find something comfy and stretchy for the first few weeks after, they will be really big at first, then they will go down some. Thats when you want to find some good nursing bras (if you decide you need them, I never used them) Then they will shrink down some more, and you may need to buy another size. My closet and drawers look like a clothing store now with all the different sizes!

#5 ·
My breast had grown by 20 weeks too which necessitated new bras but as other people said too...they will grow more. Plan to be fitted for a nursing bra at 38 weeks. At that point they should have a pretty good idea of your band size and they will likely give you a cup size larger than you are measuring at that point since they will grow again when your milk comes in. For what it's worth, they can also grow PP. Here's my time line:

Pre-pregnancy: 36DD
4-5 months pregnant: 38 DD
38 weeks pregnant: 38 F (bought 38G nursing bras)
12 weeks PP: 36H

Also, definitely go to a professional bra store to buy a nursing bra. You want a place that will take time to get you a good fit, knows how to measure properly and has a good selection of high quality bras. The bras tend to be a little more costly that way but it is absolutely worth every penny. It's not worth getting a bra that doesn't fit and/or support properly.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by merry-mary View Post
Don't buy nursing bras now. Your breasts are going to change again once your baby is born.

I'd just go to Target or a similar place and buy some inexpensive bras to get you through the rest of your pregnancy.
: I bought nursing bras, and it was a waste of money. They didn't fit well when baby came. (Who knew I'd go from a C to a H?)

That said, I did really like the feeling, and it made me feel more like a mommy, so if it won't hurt you financially, go ahead, for the cool factor.

#7 ·
i say don't get any nursing bras till your milk calms down - for me it was a waste of money to get anytrhing until then because of drastic size change.

#8 ·
I would get some nursing tanks! These are life savers for me. So much so that I haven't worn a nursing bra in a really long time. You could go ahead and get some comfy nursing/ maternity tanks. Target has some great ones! Glamourmom also has nice ones but are a little more pricey. They are a lifesaver for the postpartum period. Holds/ covers your belly for nursing in public and allows to you look presentable for visitors.

#9 ·
I didn't buy nursing bras when I was pregnant last time, and now I wish I had. If you think you will be nursing continuously through child-bearing (i.e. tandem until you're done having kids), I say just go ahead and get the nursing bras. Your breasts will change so much over the next few years that even if the cup size is too small immediately after baby is born, they may fit again a few months later. And if you don't buy nursing bras, you won't ever wear them again until you're done nursing your last baby, at which point they certainly won't fit.

#10 ·
Yep, I would say buy some comfy stretchy ones closer to the end of your pregnancy. Then you can buy nursing bras near the end or after 6 weeks when your milk starts to regulate.

With baby #1 I went from a small B to a D.

With baby # 2 I went from a B to.... a B.
:

So you just never know what's going to happen!

#11 ·
I know it might not look so "hot" but what I did to get through the last few months of my pregnancy was buy some really cheap sports bras from walmart...3 for $10 My midwife told me to avoid underwire becuase of clogged ducts... And so I wore those bras the end of my pregnancy... After DD was born my boob still popped out really easily and I used those in the early weeks, as well as the nursing tanks form Target. They were easy and I leaked so much that I was constantly chanigng bras so it wa snice to have some quick and easy options.

I lost 35lbs in the first 6mos of DD's life, around that time I invested in some nice nurisng bras...my breast size is pretty evened out now and I rarely leak so I'm not dealing with nursing pads...

I recommend getting one maternity underwire bra that gives you good support (so you have one nice bra to wear in public) and some cheap sports bras you can have to sleep in and stuff... That's what I did and it saved a lot of money and kept pressure of my changing breasts. Best of luck to you with the rest of your pregnancy!

#12 ·
My breasts had grown at that point in pregnancy but they didn't get their full potential until after my milk came in, a couple days after the babies were born. I would wait to buy really good ones until you know they're done growing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.