Best Sippy Cup for Breastfed Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'd like to introduce a sippy cup to our almost 7 month old son. What brand is best for a breastfed baby? He hasn't drank from a bottle before so taking liquid from something other than the boob will be completely new for him. Thanks in advance
#2 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 PM

We've had great success with the Take n Toss sippy cup for the first cup. It lets out just enough liquid to get them interested in sucking on it. A lot of the no spill sippies require a lot of sucking and my kids just never wanted to do that. If they aren't no spill, they make a real big mess.

So far everyone I've suggested these too have had great success as well. Hopefully you do too!

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#3 of 8 Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 AM

Both my kids had trouble with the concept of having to tip the cup back - Isabelle esp. would just sit there with her mouth on it and do breast compressions .

We found that straw cups worked best - apparently, it's a similar mechanism to nursing.

Good luck!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#4 of 8 Old 09-30-2008, 02:41 AM

Avent has a soft spout sippy that my DD really liked. None of my other kids got the hang of sippy cups and we just used cups with lids and straws.
#5 of 8 Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 AM

My son had never had any kind of sippy before. One day he grabbed the box of chocolate milk I was drinking and started gulping it down from the straw

I bought him his own straw sippy and he went to work on it like an old pro. He still doesn't have the hang of normal spout sippies, but LOVES his straw.
#6 of 8 Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM

The only sippy my son would use was the Born Free sippy cup. It's not a "non-spill" cup but that wasn't a problem for us. I tried the Take and Toss and the Straw Cups and my son wouldn't use either. Born Frees were the right fit for him!
#7 of 8 Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM

We used the Nuby, the one that looks more like a bottle than a cup. Since the baby would take bottles as well as breastfeeding, I think she caught on to the idea that milk would come out of this if she tipped it up.
#8 of 8 Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM

We started giving my daughter a sippy cup around 7 months. She likes the Playtex First Sipster Stage 1 cup the best. It has handles and the spout is somewhat soft. She uses it independently without help. She did not like the soft spount on the Avent Magic Trainer Cup. She does okay with a straw cup.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page