Lexapro and Breast Feeding...advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm seriously considering going back on my Lexapro (10 mg/day), but am so paranoid about breast feeding while on it.

I was able to stay off of it my entire pregnancy and now my son is 3 months old and I'm starting to feel like I need to be on it again. My goal was to stay off of it for 9 or 10 months while bfeeding, but I just don't know that I can do that.

Are there mothers out there who are bfeeding while on lexapro? Mothers who have breastfed their kids while on lexapro?

Did you notice any problems? How did you decide to go back on? I've done the research on lex and pregnancy/bfeeding and know that they say only tiny trace amounts get in the breastmilk.

My pysch, of course, rec's that I use lexapro if i need it and that I should not worry aobut Bfeeding. The obgyn had same attitude.

I just don't know what to do. I am functioning fine, but I know that I am seeing signs of my anxiety and potential depression coming back and am feeling very overwhelmed.

thanks in advance,

R.
#2 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 PM

I take lexapro and I breastfeed. I started lexapro when I was about 6.5 months pregnant. I was really apprehensive to nurse but like you was reassured by my dr's. that it was fine. My little one has always been nursed (he's 10 months now) He's fine. I have 2 older boys that I didn't take any medication with and he is right on par.

Good luck Mama!

--Luli
#3 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was taking Prozac for a while breastfeeding and it was totally fine. However, have you had your 25 Hydroxy D (vitamin D) level checked? I was really depressed and anxious and then found out that my D level was low (and my B levels as well, most likely). I started taking 4,000 IU of D a day plus a lot of B and, combined with a gluten free diet, I feel so, so great. Better than when I was on the meds.

Just a suggestion- I hope you feel better either way!

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#4 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for advice. am hoping for more from anyone else out there on lex
#5 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM

My doctor switched me from Lexapro 10 mg/day to Zoloft. She said it was better for breastfeeding moms, but that may just be her opinion. I took Lexapro for many years and I feel it is a good medicine, but I'm doing just fine on Zoloft.
#6 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else on lex and bfeeding?
#7 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

bumping this in hopes of more responses...

thanks and sorry to "bump" i feel like that is maybe not cool, but i'm kind of desperate for advice. none of my friends who have kids have done lex with bfeeding, so other then docs who seem so at ease with it, and the research on internet, this is my main source for real life experience...
#8 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM

#9 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link.

any other mothers who are on lex? what affects have you seen on your babe, if any? on you?

lex worked really well for me pre-preg; it worked within a week and i stayed on 10mg for almost 4 years, til i got preg.

i've tried prozac and it did zero.

so any other experiences anyone on lex while bfeeding have had, are welcome.

thx,
r

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page