mamas of newborns--stalking the wild breast and other silly nursing stories? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there mommies of newborn babes (and older babies too!)
Do you have a silly nursing experience to share? if so, post it here, I would love to read about other silly babies.

My little son, age one month yesterday, is a champion booby hunter. Before nursing he does the rooting head bob like other babies, but then he does something all of his own. Once he is presented with the nipple he opens his mouth and shakes his head back and forth as if to temp the wild breast to let go of some of the good milk. He then sucks and releases, shakes his mouth around more and then sucks and releases again until he has tired out the breast and goes in for the final latch, which he usually does with great energy! I am convinced that he is on his own booby safari. All is done with a great big smile, of course. The process might be a bit tiring for old mom, especially during a night feeding, except it's so darn cute I can't be annoyed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My LO (4 mo now) has always been a good eater but I have a rapid letdown on my right side and sometimes it just overwhelms her. I have heard some babies clamp down to slow it, but mine pops off. If I am not paying close attention, she gets rained upon, milk everywhere. Sometimes she has silver splatters of milk on her face that I find later.

She also used to do this little tiger attack - she would shake her head and dive in. Sooo cute.

Now when she nurses sometimes she bites down to get me to look at her, smiles a big smile and latches back on.

I also love it when she pops off a moment to get me to look at her, and smiles with milk trickling out her open mouth.

For some reason now, when she nurses, she rubs her eye or pulls on her ear. I am worried she will pull it right off!

Aw, she's so cute!

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#3 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM

Thalia, aged 3 weeks, does that open mouth, shaking head back and forth thing. Accompanied by lots of smacking of lips and funny gurgling noises. She just started doing this a couple of days ago. It does get milk EVERYwhere. Which I think makes it harder to latch on since everything is all slick and slippery. But it is pretty funny. I think she does it more often when she's not really hungry. when she's really hungry she just latches on and no fuss, no muss.

The other thing that cracks me up is when I'm moving her towards my breast and she opens her mouth wide and her eyes are open wide, looking at the breast. It's like she's going, "ooooh YEAH. I want me some of THAT!" Too funny.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#4 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM

DS, now 11mo, knows where my boobs are located. When I pick him up and put him on my lap, he'll throw himself sideways and start lifting up my shirt. If I'm wearing a shirt with cleavage, he'll grab the top of my breast and try to pull it up that way. And sometimes, if I have him on my hip and he's nervous or whatever, he'll stroke my breast slowly, as if to say, "this is mine." I think it's great.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#5 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM

My 3.5 week old also does the head shaking thing, she just started that within the past week and it is adorable (although a few times she's done it with my nipple already in her mouth and it was quite painful!)

Lately she's also started tongue thing, she sticks her tongue out of the bottom of her mouth a few times like she's getting in a few practice sucks before latching on. She doesn't open her mouth very wide when she does it, but once she's ready she opens up wide and then latches on. So cute!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#6 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM

With my little dd, who is 8.5 months it's like feeding a wombat at times
really though, with the biting and pulling of my nipple, and the scratching and pinching at my chest, I feel sometimes like she's trying to claw the milk out of me.

Not really a cute anecdote, but that's all I got
#7 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to breastfeeding. Great thread!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 AM

LOL~ cute!

My 7 week old will go in for the kill with her brows furrowed, nose scrunched and kind of jump-latch (think magnet with a paper clip ) like she hasn't eaten in weeks - all the while snorting, of course! Once she's latched, she makes this mmm mmm mmm sound

Other times, she'll stare at ceiling fan on her back and then roll on her side for the boobie, pop off and roll back and look at the fan again

It's weird how she can nurse so differently from one moment to the next.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#9 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newclementine View Post
My little son, age one month yesterday, is a champion booby hunter. Before nursing he does the rooting head bob like other babies, but then he does something all of his own. Once he is presented with the nipple he opens his mouth and shakes his head back and forth as if to temp the wild breast to let go of some of the good milk. He then sucks and releases, shakes his mouth around more and then sucks and releases again until he has tired out the breast and goes in for the final latch, which he usually does with great energy! I am convinced that he is on his own booby safari. All is done with a great big smile, of course. The process might be a bit tiring for old mom, especially during a night feeding, except it's so darn cute I can't be annoyed.
Desi has done this since birth. He also makes all sorts of cute little grunting noises like he's psyching himself up to eat. Sometimes he shakes his head back and forth while latched on... not a very good feeling. Also during his feeding he makes all kinds of noises, but he's very vocal all the time, even while sleeping.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#10 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM

3 month old DS sometimes gets so excited while I'm getting the boobie out, that he starts breathing fast and snorting like a little piglet

Also mid nursing sometimes he will stop sucking and jam his whole face in.... it's pretty funny.
#11 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Lina would do the head shake thing--but BEFORE she had the nipple. So she'd sort of vibrate, then dive forward, swerve sideways, and miss. Poor gal, I'd end up laughing so hard I couldn't help her latch on for a minute or two.

The head bob thing is soooo funny and cute. Lina would sometimes do a variation where she'd open her mouth up as she pulled her head back, then close it as she brought it forward and then look bewildered that she didn't get the nipple in her mouth. Again, I was too busy laughing at her to help her for a bit.

When dh is holding her while I shower and such, she'll start complaining to nurse before she cries. If he holds her to the side like I do when she's nursing, she'll quiet down and open her mouth sort of "oh, you can feed me now? cool! it's about time you learned that skill." Then a few moments later she opens her mouth and eyes wider as though she's saying "anytime now...."
#12 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

hawk is a cutie too. but i'll start with a pre-breastfeeding story.

when he was born, he was born strong. he had a strong tongue, and so was having a lot of trouble latching. we needed to get food into him, and so i was pumping like crazy and we were doing finger training.

essentially, i would pump and then we'd put it in a syringe with a small tube that i would tape to my finger, and we'd feed him that way. then, the next step was to get him to latch using a nipple shield, and then finally off the shields. the whole process took 6 weeks, btw.

anyway, in that first week when we were finger training, my milk was liquid gold and we treated it as such. it was the most precious commodity on the planet (and it came in a bit late so we were particularly obcessed about it). so, it took two of us to feed him anyway (one to feed with the finger, one to hold/manage/fill the syringe), and i was at the point where i was starting to leak a bit of milk. so nice!

so, my father and mother come to visit on their usual friday visits, and it's time to feed. my father wants to help, and i start as my LC recommended which was to try to latch him to the breast, but not to let him get frustrated before moving to the next 'step' which was to try the nipple shield, and if that didn't work, go to the tube feeding.

she also recommended that we do a lot fo skin-to-skin while feeding, which meant i was topless. and the baby in just a diaper.

so, my dad manages the syringe and the previous feedings pumped milk, and i try the breast. my mom is holding the nipple shield and my DH realizes that my breasts are starting to leak. he grabs the bottles that we use for the pumping, and puts that under each breast.

when hawk got a bit upset because he couldn't latch (and not for lack of trying poor fellow), i moved on to the shield, which my mom held into place because i was holding the babe with one arm and had the tube taped on my finger already on the other side, which my dad had attached to the syinge so i had to hold my arm up as not to leak that milk yet!

my mom held the sheild to the nipple while he tried again, and when that didn't work, she dumped the milk from the shield into the bottle that DH held, and then we started with the syringe.

so, you can imagine this image, right? topless woman and naked baby with grandfather on one side holding a syringe full of milk, grandmother on the other side holding a bottle under one nipple that was dripping milk while DH kneels in front of her with another bottle under the other nipple.

"it takes a village" right? LOL anyway, the next day, he was nursing on the shield, but my family laughs and laughs about this one!

once into nursing "for realz" as we called it--that is, with the shield--he would do the head bob thing and be angry when he missed or wasn't getting it as quickly as he liked. he would also get on, and the kick in joy which resulted in him knocking himself off (as well as the shield and getting covered in milk), which resulted in shreaks of anger. sometimes, that would be so extreme that he wouldn't realize that the nipple was "right there in his mouth"--all he had to do was clamp down.

silly thing!

finally, that settled and he got the hang of it, and one day the nipple shield just fell off. before i had a chance to get it back on, "CHOMP!" he was on without the shield and has been going strong shield-free since.

and, he loves to nurse, but now he jumps and kicks with glee while holding onto the nipple, which of course "feels fab" to me. LOL ah well, he's enjoying himself.

also, a few days ago he started this thing that when he can see the nipple, he gets this look on his face like "ooh, mine! gimme!" and then CHOMP! dives right in!

and god forbid you take it away beofre he's ready. i wanted to switch nipples because one was hurting really badly (no clue why, and it passed in a day or two anyway) and he woudl SCREAM like "WTF!?!" as soon as i pulled him off to switch. LOL

he knows what he likes, and what he likes is food.
#13 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
When dh is holding her while I shower and such, she'll start complaining to nurse before she cries. If he holds her to the side like I do when she's nursing, she'll quiet down and open her mouth sort of "oh, you can feed me now? cool! it's about time you learned that skill." Then a few moments later she opens her mouth and eyes wider as though she's saying "anytime now...."
My DD often tries to latch on to DH's arm if she gets hungry while he is holding her! If he has her up on his chest she will start rooting around his chest, so funny!!!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#14 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 PM

Mine keeps us up all night going "mmm mmm mmm -suck suck suck - mmm mmm mmm" as he nurses to sleep. Its cute but man he just does not stop making sounds...
#15 of 15 Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 PM

Eliot has always thrown his head side to side with his mouth open looking for the wild booby-then likes to pull on it, makes noises, and sometimes gets his foot in on the action by kicking the breast and trying to jam his toes in his mouth while he nurses, I like to call it 'at war with the nummy'.

Now he totally digs standing next to me and pulling on my nipple and leaning over me and rolling his face in my breast like it's just the best thing in the world and then throwing himself on the nipple like he's afraid it will get away.

All my kids have been dramatic nursers, it's quite cute, actually. Good memories.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page