not pumping enough at work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As of this week I'm back to work full time. So far I've been able to pump around 9 oz total during the work day. My daughter is almost 3 months old, and eats 3 times a day with her caregiver. 3 oz per feeding doesn't seem like enough to me, but so far she's been happy and content. She usually eats an additional 4-5 times with me at home.

I pump 3x at work, and am used to the pump - I've been using it once a day or so since she was only a few weeks old.

I guess mainly I'm concerned that she's not getting enough. She's definitely on the smaller end of the weight scale. Maybe I'm just being paranoid - I want to be able to produce enough milk to keep her healthy! I dread the thought of ever having to supplement.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#2 of 4 Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Is there any chance you can squeeze in another pumping session at work or before work? I get most of my milk in the morning...

Are you using a double pump? I noticed an increase in the amount of milk I was getting when I double pump as opposed to pumping one breast at a time.

If you are still struggling with supply, you might want to start eating more oatmeal, or look into herbs like Motherlove More Milk Plus. That's what I take.

Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

So now on my 3rd day I got 8 oz...10 the first, 9 the second, and now 8. If this keeps up I'll soon have nothing!

I am using a double pump, and it's worked well for me so far. I suspect that I make just enough milk to feed my DD, and no extra - she drains me every time. So I guess there's no way to tell what she was getting during the day when she was with me. I eat oatmeal every morning, look at pictures of her while I pump, massage my breasts, etc.

A question about pumping before work - she drains me at 6:30, and I start work at 7:30. If I pump at 7:15, will I even get anything? And won't it just decrease what I then get at 9:00? I'm having a hard time understanding how I would get more with an extra session instead of getting the same amount overall, just less at each session. I'm probably way overthinking this.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#4 of 4 Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Well, if you can squeeze in the extra session and keep it up then your body should adjust and respond to the NEED for more milk and thus SUPPLY you with more. It could take a bit for your body to respond.

Are you pumping long enough? And just so you know your baby's mouth is way better at getting the milk than a pump, there are times I still feel like there is milk after I pump for 10+ min...things should even out.

I have been working part time since my dd was 2mo old and she is now 9.5mo...some days I pump more, some less....give or take an ounce or two ya know...

If you are REALLY worried about a decreased supply try pumping during her naps on the weekend or some time she doesn't normally eat.

Try not to worry too much, if your babe is happy while your gone, if she is at all hungry she will make up for it when you get home. (ie. reverse cycling)

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page