Pumping at work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I have a 5 week old at home, I will go back to work when he is 13 weeks old.
I am planning to pump while I am at work, bought the Medela in style. And I am planing to get the easy expressions bustier, which is recommended here in the forum.
How did you the pumping at work?
So far, I was sitting in a huge open-plan office with 30 people around me. I feel kind of embarrassed if they hear my pump going on and off. Do you guys all have an office just for you? Or do you pump on your breaks?
I don't want to pump in the restrooms at work, they are kind of disgusting.

I am very happy to be here in the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Hello!
Welcome to the I pump at work crew!! I have a 3 month old I went back 2 weeks ago. I was plagued with the problem of 'where am I gonna pump'? I work in a large call center building but my dept is seperate. We handle money and there are camera's EVERYWHERE. I get 2 15 min breaks and 1 1/2 hour lunch so I knew I could pump 3 times. I went back and explained to my supervisor that I am nursing and the benfits to my baby, me and her. BF babies are less sick, which means less call offs for me and less headache for her!! She was totally more than supportive. I said I need to find a place I can pump. She luckily offered me her office to use!! (which has a door and NO CAMERAS!!) It works out great for both of us bc she gets a chance to get out on the 'floor' and take a break too which she would rarely do. She knows my break times and finds something to do outside her office during those times. I did tell her that if she can't get out at one of my times, then if she didn't care I don't care and she could stay!! WE have only had that happen a few times, but I think we have bonded more!! I am SUPER SUPER lucky!! GOOD LUCK!!!!
#3 of 10 Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Hi! Congratulations on your new baby!

Any sensible workplace will try to find someplace where you can pump in private - an unused office, a conference room with blinds and a locking door, a converted supply closet, whatever. Not all workplaces are sensible, sadly, and if they're not, you'll need another plan (because I can't see pumping in a cubicle with no privacy as a great plan, and I agree with you about restrooms).

I worked for an accounting firm while pumping for my kid last winter. While I was in their offices, they had a "visitor's office" that was available to nursing moms literally all the time. When doing fieldwork at other offices, I sometimes used conference rooms (when I could find one to borrow), and sometimes pumped in my car (not a great solution, because it was cold, but hey, it worked out). While I was in school, a couple of administrators for the program I was in lent me their offices, and now and then I wound up crashing the health center and using an exam room.

Given when you plan to return to work, I'd suggest contacting your supervisor, or HR, and floating the issue now: you plan to continue nursing when you return to work, and you'll need a place you can use for 20-30 minutes, 3-4 times a day to pump breastmilk. If you can think of a private space that might work, suggest it.

Also - what state are you in? Are there laws there requiring workplace accommodation for breastfeeding moms?
#4 of 10 Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM

I work in a cubicle office, and managed to pump untill DD was 16 months old.

I've pumped in a file room, the only room on the floor with a lock that was reliable open. The guys all around the room could surley hear me, and when they saw me walk in with the pump they politely wrapped up what they were doing and left, so I could use the room (Really great guys). Never once did anyone act weird about it. 2 times I cought people off guard, they didn't know that's what I was doing, after that I started hanging a sign.

I used an office one time the file room was unavailable, with a guard outside - no locks.

And the last 6-8 months were spent in a storage room that locked.

None of the situations was ideal, but everyone seemed to work to help me pump as long as I wanted. No one ever questioned my need to pump either.

At one point I did talk about pumping at my cubicle - while discussing a possible location with HR - that woman laughed and thought if all else failed it would work, and possible move people to find me an appropriate location

I also was very matter mof fact about asking, like it was a requirement to work and I would not settle for a bathroom. Not over assertive or demanding, just firm in my request and limits.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#5 of 10 Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your success stories!!

I am thinking and thinking if we would have a lockable room somewhere in our office. Hm, I don't know at the moment.
I will email my supervisor to see if she has a any suggestions.
I am in NY, are there any laws protecting nursing moms???

Another question for your:
Let's say you pump 3 times on a work day. Do you bring 3 pairs of sterilized breast shields with you? Or do you use only one a day?
#6 of 10 Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Another question for your:
Let's say you pump 3 times on a work day. Do you bring 3 pairs of sterilized breast shields with you? Or do you use only one a day?
I have to say I'm pretty lax here - I just take everything apart and rinse in very warm/hot water and shake all the excess water off. After my last pump of the day, I remove the tubing and throw all the parts in a plastic bag. I wash it all in hot soapy water when I get home, but sterilize the tubing daily. All the other parts I sterilize once a week or I run it thru the dishwasher to sanitize. I use the medela steam bags to sterilize.

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#7 of 10 Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 PM

I pumped in the back corner of the pharmacy... covered up of course but my staff always came back to ask questions ect... it was uncomfortable at first but after a couple months we were all used to it and while it wasn't ideal everyone was supportive and kind about it.
I pumped in my car whenever I had someone to cover for me.
I just rinsed everything off and placed the parts into the fridge between sessions.
#8 of 10 Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 PM

My company has a 'Health Services Office'. It's a room with a sink, mini fridge, couch, table, and a couple chairs. It also has a lock and no window on the door.

I'd just bring in 1 set of parts. After each pumping session, I'd rinse, place in a ziploc bag, and put them in the mini fridge. Figure if the milk is good in the fridge for 8 days, then it's good on the horns in the fridge for 8 hours np. Then, toss in the dishwasher when I got home.
#9 of 10 Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi, I've been pumping at work for almost 3 months now. I do so in a windowless conference room. It doesn't have a lock on the door, I just put up a sign that says "in use" and I haven't been disturbed yet (I thought about "lactation in progress" ).

I only bring one set of breast shields a day. I pump every two hours (3 15 min breaks and one 30 min lunch.... I work for 10 hr a day/4 day a wk). I rinse the shields with hot water (we have a boiling hot water faucet to make tea on the break room sink) during the breaks and I sterilize using a medela steam bag (which you can use twenty times) in the microwave during lunch.

I keep my EBM in the cooler part of my pump w/freezer bags to keep it cool. Our fridge at work is yucky.

As for the noise, I couldn't care less if they hear. I'm hoping to influence more people to pump. (I was the first to do so at the company, one person has since joined me.)

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#10 of 10 Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hey!
Just wanted to let you know that I spoke to my boss. And I will use a kitchen from a different department for pumping.

It has a lockable door, a sink, a outlet, a chair.
The kitchen is only used by 6 employees. So, it won't be occupied all the time by other people. And it was used by a different woman before for pumping.
Yeah, I am sooooo happy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page