How long is too long to sleep at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My breastfed 2 month old is starting to sleep through the night (from 10 pm to 7 am). My main concern is that she doesn't eat during that time. Is that okay? I have no idea if all that sleeping and no eating is okay for a 2 month old. I guess I should say that she's a very "healthy" baby. She's obviously not missing meals during the day. She's weighed in at 14 llbs 6 oz at her 2 month appointment.

Teagan's entertainment center.: : Mike's forever and always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM

If she's growing well and feeding during the day, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your sleep, but bear in mind that patterns shift really fast with babies!

My DS never went more than a couple of hours at night until he was over a year, but DD started "sleeping through" (like 6-7 hours) at 3 weeks. She was a big baby at birth and grew super fast (off the growth charts through infancy.) Now she's tall and lean.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:48 PM

If she's sleeping with mom I wouldn't worry a bit. I would be a touch concerned sleeping that long if it's alone. Babies tend to sleep too deeply when away from mama.

-Angela
Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 PM

I think some of it depends on whether it's a gradual or sudden change.

My DS never slept more than 45 minutes at a stretch, he had severe reflux and couldn't tolerate more than a little bit in his stomach at once and so he was constantly waking up. Then one night he slept 13 hours at a stretch. At first I was thrilled, but when I woke him up he fed briefly and fell right back to sleep -- I knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor.

It turned out he'd had a reflux triggered asthma attack and his breathing was so off that he wasn't able to do the suck/swallow/breathe thing, sucking was exhausting him to the point where he fell asleep early in the feeding, and he had gotten so dehydrated that he wasnt waking up, which meant he was eating less. Other than the fact he was feeding less frequently, a slightly elevated breathing rate, which I'm afraid to say I didn't notice, some decreased breath sounds which were only audible on a stethoscope, and a depressed soft spot you couldn't see under his curly hair, the sleeping was the only symptom -- no fever, no coughing, no wheezing at all.

So, while I wouldn't worry if a healthy infant started stretching out their sleep -- or started missing a single night feeding at a time, I would worry about a sudden dramatic change (45 minutes to 13 hours certainly qualifies as dramatic).

User Tag List