Why would I suddenly stop making breastmilk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 5 month old is (WAS) exclusively breastfed... Lately, he has had an ear infection. He started crying at the breast 3 days ago. He will not take the breast unless I put him to sleep first (I figure because of the ear infection). So he breastfeeds all night for the last 3 days and I pump half of the day and breastfeed him during naps.

Should this cut my milk supply almost in half? Im struggling to figure out why suddenly last night I couldn't satisfy my boy. Im pretty sure he is eating the same amount as usual. I used to be able to pump 3 ounces easy in one sitting... now Im barely getting 1.

Is there a possibility that I could be pregnant and this would make me stop making milk for the time being?

Has this happened to anyone?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Not sure if the change in nursing frequency is enough to cause a drop in supply. Many women have some supply downs when their cycles come back (or start trying to come back--there can be hormonal ups/downs before cycles actually return).

Or maybe your LO ate less for a few days, feeling sick, and now is actually nursing more (ingesting more) and so you are able to pump less?
#3 of 6 Old 11-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Or maybe your LO ate less for a few days, feeling sick, and now is actually nursing more (ingesting more) and so you are able to pump less?
This sounds likely.

Hang in there - if you keep pumping you will get more as your supply increases with demand.

I hope your baby feels better soon.
#4 of 6 Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM

My supply always dropped drastically right before my period and would dip a bit right before ovulation.
Also both my kids were fussy at the breast during my period and I have been told the milk tasted different during that time.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#5 of 6 Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Keep nursing as much as he wants, and pumping... If he is sick, by chance, are you sick, too? Some decongestants can temporarily dry you up. I just wanted to throw that out there. Eating oatmeal boost supply for some people. It makes me leak milk.
#6 of 6 Old 11-16-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the monthly cycle hormone changes! It makes so much sense. Actually, it makes me feel much better - my husband and I have been freaking out thinking I was pregnant again - and that would not be good having a 5 month old already!

I didn't think I would get my period back so soon!

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page