Would you go to Six Flags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Pregos!

I can't believe I am posting on this board again,I'm so excited!:

Anywway, so my question is would you go to Six Flags, obviously newly pregnant? My DH and I have made plans to go on Sunday because it is our 7th anniversary and now I'm not sure what to do? Would you go and ride the rides? I am about 4 or 5 weeks right now.

We rarely leave the kids and we have not been to Six Flags yet because I have either been pregnant, nursing, or both since it opened here!:LOL Well I actually am still nursing and obviously pregnant,but ds only nurses a few times a day and it has been about three weeks since dd has asked, sorry if TMI, pregnancy rambling! What would you do? Thanks in advance and congratulations!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 06:20 PM

YAP - I would go in a heart beat!!!!
You won't be able to really enjoy the grown-up rides once your baby is born, so just go ahead.
And no - it is not dangerous so early on. I would just be afraid to puke everywhere :LOL
#3 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't ride the coaster rides, don't they all say you can't ride them while pg? I've never seen anything about how pg just not to if pg. But then I'm pretty paranoid after 4 mc's. Maybe call your doc or midwife?

Best of luck and happy Anniversary!

Eva- Navy Wife and mama to 3 amazing kiddos Gretchen 9, Koen 7, Charlotte 4, and 5 precious angels that will never be forgotten and 1 last surprise Boogy Baby due Aug 12.
#4 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 06:46 PM

Well, just think about what would make rides dangerous. They say pregos can't ride some of the rides because the seat bealts across the tummy, or some of the sudden movements etc could injure the bigger baby or cause placenta abruption. The tiny small babies we have right now are sooooo all the way in there that it really doesn't make a difference what you do with your body as to physical activities.
Actually, my midwives in Denmark only warned against horseback riding, skiing, contact sports or something that would cause me to fall or hit my stomach - but this was for when I was showing more.
#5 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 07:34 PM

I would think that this early on you would be fine to go and enjoy yourself!! I was always under the impression that it was later on that you needed to be more careful of that kind of stuff.
#6 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 08:00 PM

lol I am thinking about it. The same straps/bars would still be across your abdomin, sure there's more padding there now but there would be the same ammount of jarring which could cause abruption later in pg as well as early on. Being smaller doesn't necessarily equal safer from major jarring. My good friend who's a doula and... oh what's the word... labor assistant? ANyway, she agreed that it's not safe throughout pg but has put a call into her midwives group that she trained with and see what they have to say. I'm really curious now! It makes sense to me that the jarring would be as risky regardless of the age of the fetus but that's just me. I'll be sure to pass on what they say.

Puddin- regardless of what anyone says, if you feel comfortable and safe, then go for it and have fun!

Eva- Navy Wife and mama to 3 amazing kiddos Gretchen 9, Koen 7, Charlotte 4, and 5 precious angels that will never be forgotten and 1 last surprise Boogy Baby due Aug 12.
#7 of 14 Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 PM

I definitely would not go.

A friend of mine had a miscarriage at Six Flags. It was an unplanned baby, so she didn't know she was pregnant yet. She started bleeding after going on a couple of roller coasters. When she thought about the dates of her LMP, she estimated that she was about 6 or 7 weeks along.

Her Dr. told her that the extreme jostling of the rides could have caused her to miscarry, but that it was likely that it would have happened anyway.

In any case, I'm not taking any chances. When we go on our family trip to Six Flags this summer, I'm sticking to the kiddy rides.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#8 of 14 Old 07-17-2004, 01:46 AM

I would be riding the kiddy rides with Mimim.
#9 of 14 Old 07-17-2004, 01:54 AM

From everything I read and learned from serveral Drs and midwives, I am pretty sure a ride would not cause a person to miscarry at 6 - 7 weeks. I actually have a lot of literature about it somewhere in the house (which I of course cannot find right now). The thing about very EARLY miscarriages is that is usually not so much one can do to prevent them, nor should one blame one self and wonder if something they did caused it (unless a chemical / mechanical abort was attempted of course). Maybe the friend was in the process of miscarrying already and then the extra activity just speeded up something that was going to happen anyways ?? I mean, do you know when you have your period and go running, then all of a sudden a lot of blood comes out at the same time (sorry about being graphic).
Just wondering if some Drs. and midwives here my tell people to avoid roller coaster and etc from early on, so they won't get blamed and sued if something happened??
Anyways, just another way of looking at it... All I know is that we are hoping to go to a water park soon (if we can afford it of couse )
#10 of 14 Old 07-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
From everything I read and learned from serveral Drs and midwives, I am pretty sure a ride would not cause a person to miscarry at 6 - 7 weeks. I actually have a lot of literature about it somewhere in the house (which I of course cannot find right now). The thing about very EARLY miscarriages is that is usually not so much one can do to prevent them, nor should one blame one self and wonder if something they did caused it (unless a chemical / mechanical abort was attempted of course). Maybe the friend was in the process of miscarrying already and then the extra activity just speeded up something that was going to happen anyways ??
Right, ITA. Her Dr. even told her that it was unlikely that roller coasters would cause her to m/c a healthy embryo.

I would still be too nervous to ride these rides, after hearing this story. I'm not taking any chances in any other areas, so I wouldn't here. Of course, a lot of people think a homebirth is taking a huge risk.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#11 of 14 Old 07-17-2004, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your imput! Thanks so much polihaupt for checking with your midwives, I really appreciate it! I have a consultation appointment to go in 2 weeks, but have not been to a midwife yet, I think most places won't see you until you are about 7 weeks!
Anyway I know my signature says trust your instincts and follow your heart but... as you know that is often hard to do! Well I think I am going to go and try to choose the less jarring rides, if there is such a thing! I have never been so I'm not really sure what the rides are like, I hope I'm making the right decision! I went tubing and knee boarding yesterday and I feel fine! I'm actually very conservative and a huge chicken, although reading this post I must sound like a wild woman! Thanks again for your imput!

I think I'll start another post on the main pg board and find out what people are definitely not doing while pregnant( low risk)!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

#12 of 14 Old 07-19-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well Mamas I went to Six Flags today and although DH and I had a great time being together, I feel terrible guilt now! Dh did go on the more crazy rides by himself, but I did go on one coaster that was way rougher than it looked and I'm now very worried! More than anything it was just so hot! I am hoping and : that everything is alright! I would say to anyone else, not worth the risk and guilt! If anything happens with pregnancy or baby I will forever blame myself for this error in judgement! Thanks again for your imput!

#13 of 14 Old 07-19-2004, 12:17 AM

Aw! I'm sure it'll be just fine! If God forbid something does happen to this baby, it was meant to be and not because of one little roller coaster ride! Take it easy and try not to beat yourself up, the stress and guilt will do no good! I know, easier said then done. !!

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you guys had fun!

#14 of 14 Old 07-19-2004, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I will try to! Now I'm making myself get off the computer and go to bed at a decent hour for a change! I'm worn out from today!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page