Whatcha Craving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started out with veggies... lots and lots of veggies. But I'm too lazy now to prepare much... :LOL

Lately it's been non fat organic milk with chocolate nesquick. MMmmm! And add a wholewheat beagal with peanut butter... heaven! (Yes, beagal, my 2yo calls bagals beagals and it's stuck. :LOL)

I spotted a big bag of avacados at Costco and couldn't resist them... but I don't know how to prepare them! LOL Any tips?

What are y'all craving?

Eva- Navy Wife and mama to 3 amazing kiddos Gretchen 9, Koen 7, Charlotte 4, and 5 precious angels that will never be forgotten and 1 last surprise Boogy Baby due Aug 12.
#2 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 06:35 PM

Tomatoes and cucumbers! Tomato sandwiches, cucumber salad, whatever I can pull from the garden! Also bought a huge bag of mixed stone fruits at the farmers market! Yumm!
For avocadoes...you can make guacamole, avocado on your bagel or good sprouted wheat bread, in salads, etc. My 19 month old LOVES avos as he calls them!
#3 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 07:31 PM

:

Fresh cukes, with parmesan peppercorn dressing .. and parmesan/garlic cheez-its ..
#4 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 07:37 PM

Meat!

I craved hamburgers with dd; this time I've been wanting a big steak, and lots and lots of chicken. I don't normally eat that much meat, so it's very odd.

I've also been craving Mrs. T's potato and cheddar mini pierogies. Yes, very specific!

I only wish I'd crave something like green veggies... I don't like ANY of them, and I know I need to eat them.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#5 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 09:58 PM

Finnsmama:

Avocados! I've been just dicing them up and eating them with a spoon, or to make guacamole just do this:

Scoop the meat of the avocados into a bowl. Crush a bunch of garlic into it, squeeze a lime or a lemon into it, and mash it all up. Add salt and pepper to taste and eat it on things or with a spoon.

For more variety, you can add some diced fresh tomatoes, a little cayenne, some cumin, coriander, some dices chilies....you've got me wanting to go make some right now!!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#6 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 10:06 PM

I've been craving bread and butter pickles, which I haven't had for YEARS because my husband hates them. I can't really find any good ones in the stores, so I'm going to have to run out and get my mom's recipe and hope that I still want them by the time they're ready to eat!!

Patchfire: I've found a really great way to eat kale lately, which I normally hate. I know that a lot of good things are lost by cooking it, but eating it cooked must be better than not eating it at all! I sautee some sliced onions in a little olive oil until soft, add a bunch of crushed garlic, then throw in chopped up kale (a lot of it because it shrinks). Cook this until it is bright green, then throw in a lot of chopped fresh basil. Salt and pepper to taste, then throw it on some whole wheat pizza dough (no red sauce, maybe a little olive oil on the crust if you want), then I choose to top it with cooked hot italian sausage, but it is wonderful without, too. Then throw on a little bit of cheese (I use the mediterranean blend from Trader Joes, but mozzerella is good too). Bake, and it is SOOOOOO good!!

#7 of 47 Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Tomatoes and cucumbers!
Me too! With vinegar and salt...mmmm. Also, soft baked french fries drenched in ketchup.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#8 of 47 Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 AM

jalapenos! it's the wierdest thing. pregnant with DS in CA i craved english comfort food, now I'm in the UK i want a great big bowl of nachos! luckily you can find some mexican food in england these days, but what i'd give for a trip to La Familia in Berkeley for one of their super veggie burritos .

i like eating avocados just cut in half with some vinagrette on them. or of course as guacomole inside a la familia super veggie burrito....AAARGH!
#9 of 47 Old 07-18-2004, 08:52 AM

Not much of anything m/s is too bad.

When I am not all green I am craving water, gatorade and sushi (not all at the same time)
#10 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 AM

I had been heavy into grapefruit for a time (both the fruit and juice) but now I'm all about cantalope! Not so much because I like the taste, but because of its, um, effects on my digestive system (WAY too much info, but I lost about 4 inches around my waist after discovering cantalope, I was that constapated).

What a great season to be PG! I went to the farmer's market on Saturday and bought so many fruits and veggies. Yum.

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#11 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 10:19 AM

I spent $20 at the farmers market this weekend but forgot to get blueberries and I left my cucumbers

I will be back ther ein a few days and will probably drop another 420. But man you can;t get this good stuff any other time of year round here and most especially not in the supermarkets.
#12 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 AM

When I am not nauseous I have been craving mexican food : I probably would had horrible hurt burn if I had some, but I might end up having it anyways...
What I can't stand? Sweet or sugary foods of any kind. Blarghhhhh (I still like fruits though)
#13 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 AM

yeah i'm done with sweet foods too, which is reaaaallly wierd for me. i also couldn't stomach my morning cup of tea today.
#14 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 12:30 PM

Just wanted to mention that I'm making Chicken and Garlic Rice-A-Roni at 8:30 in the morning! :LOL
#15 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 12:39 PM

I thought I was bad with the ham n cheese hot pockets at 9am yesterday, and this was after eating 1.5 cups of pistachios!
#16 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse
yeah i'm done with sweet foods too, which is reaaaallly wierd for me.
ME TOO! I'd never heard of this before, and it's never happened to ME before--I've got a huge sweet tooth usually. But this weekend I turned down Hershey's Kisses and chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Very, very weird. (Maybe I won't gain so much this time around?)

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#17 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Sweets (other than fruit) are also out for me. I normally LOOOOOOVE anything with sugar in it, but now I look at things in the grocery store, and just can't stomach the thought....I'm hoping that this lasts, because other than my sugar cravings, I normally have a really healthy diet! I'm THRILLED to have a sugar aversion!

#18 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 04:11 PM

I'm jealous of everyone's healthy cravings!! all I can stand to eat is crappy white flour breads and junk food. :
#19 of 47 Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM

I'm like all of you... no sugery foods at all! The irony is one of my hobbies/side projects is cake baking and decorating!!! I'm hoping that the next cake order I fill doesn't send me over the edge! Even the smell is getting to me. A friend (male) recently offered to buy me a whoopie pie from this bakery where we grew up. Made me green just THINKING about it.

Other than that, no real specific cravings. Just FOOD! I'm hungry all the time. And WATER! I can't remember being this thirsty since I was nursing.

-Melissa

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#20 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 AM

I'm definitely thirsty too! I'm not totally against sugar but I'm not craving it either which is weird because I was craving it a ton before I got pg.

Someone here suggested Hot Pockets so I went to the store and bought 3 boxes (I had been hungry for 30 minutes which made me feel sick) and as soon as I got home I heated them up and ate them which still has me feeling sick! Darned if you do, darned if you don't! :LOL

The hot pockets weren't that great either, I have got to figure out something I like! Everything tastes weird or not as good.
#21 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Jenn nothing tastes right to me either right now. I usually gag at hotpockets but I was so hungry I had to eat something. I felt sick afterwards too

Last night I had to have a subway sub loaded with veggies. My poor DH is going to go broke trying to feed my appetite LOL
#22 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 09:36 AM

With my other pregnancies, I ate everything in sight. This time is very different. For instance, I had some toast about 5:30 yesterday morning. Could not find a THING that I felt like eating the rest of the day. I ended up walking around a market in the afternoon and finally made lunch out of a cantalope. I don't have morning sickness--it's just that nothing appeals to me.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#23 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 11:52 AM

Well at least I'm in good company! I wanted a Subway sandwich last night so maybe I'll get one today (chicken instead of deli meat).

Any other suggestions of something you've had recently that was decent??
#24 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 12:18 PM

I believe I am an hour away from the nearest Subway, perhaps only 45 minutes. I am definitely 45 minutes away from Hot Pockets, so in general, I am left to satisfy my cravings with what's in the fridge and pantry. And it's so bloomin' hot here, I can't imagine a trip out. But on to the question -- my biggest craving so far has been butter. I even ate it off a spoon. It's hard to imagine that right now.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#25 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 02:19 PM

Hmmmm I had these really yummy california rolls the other night half of them were spicy and oh so good! I need more!

I have also been craving fruit/berry pies and cobblers. Today I am going to pick some fresh raspberries and make a peach raspberry cobbler yummy.

Gale Force--ewwwww butter off the spoon? Its freaking hot here too and we have no a/c! I don't think I have ever drank so much water lemonade and gatorade in my life.
#26 of 47 Old 07-20-2004, 02:36 PM

I've been drinking a ton of water, too, but it isn't hot here, and I'm not really thirsty. I just WANT it! I guess that's a good thing to crave. Sometimes I feel like I'm floating, though....

#27 of 47 Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 AM

Well I tried subway and the salad was wonderful (even the fat free Ranch which I never like) but the sandwich was only ok. HOWEVER, I bought a jar (not a can) of peaches and Oh heaven! The funny thing is I love the juice and not so much the peaches! :LOL That's definitely hitting the spot!

Oh and I tried chocolate milk (organic) and it didn't taste so great.. *sniff*
#28 of 47 Old 07-21-2004, 08:05 AM

I am having a hard time drinking milk, the only kind I seem to be able to slightly stomach is chocolate milk :/

I made peach cobbler yesterday lol must have been a peachy craving day
#29 of 47 Old 07-21-2004, 12:32 PM

Jennie-I think you're right about the peaches! Last night I had my normal seltzer water, but added peach juice to it. Yum!

#30 of 47 Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM

I have a feeling I will be getting a lot of peaches and freezing what i can't eat lol

Which now makes me crave frozen blueberries...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page