Anyone have experience w/Preg & Tandem nusing and/or triandem nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would like some advice and reassurance that this is going to be workable! lol
I am 7weeks preg and my 2 sons are both still avidlly nursing. They are 2.5 yrs and 16mnths old. My oldest is *very* attached to nursing. As well as Donovan so I dont think either of then will wean with this pregnancy. How do I triandem nurse? Do I have the oldest share a boob? Or do I jsut share equally? How do I do it? Any ideas, stories, or revelatiosn are most welcome!

Jamie
#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2004, 01:42 PM

I've only nursed through pregnancy and tandem nursed. Tnrsmom has triandom nursed. I'm sure others here have as well. I think you may find that your oldest will slow down a bit after the age of 3. They will help you with the boob sharing, etc. I hope you get some good advice. If not here, maybe post in the extended nursing forum.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-28-2004, 04:24 PM

Not pg, but I have tandem nursed through pregnancy and then triandem nursed for 18 months until my oldest self-weaned on his fifth birthday.

My nurslings were 33 months old and 15 months old when I got pg with #3. Tandem nursing through pregnancy wasn't a problem at all (except for the humungous belly in the way! :LOL ). Toward the end of the pregnancy (last trimester) I slowly got Zachary (younger ds) to nurse mostly on "Alex's side" (older ds) ... Zack had been nursing on the left and Alex on the right. When Haley was born, she nursed on the left during the day (right nipple is slightly inverted, left is easier to latch onto for a newborn!) and she nursed either side when the boys were sleeping. The boys had their side and Haley had hers during the day, so they never got jealous of their little sister nursing "their" side. They were old enough at 23 months and 3.5 years to understand that they had to take turns. During my pregnancy we talked about pregnancy, childbirth, and triandem nursing. I stressed the importance of the baby getting milk first, because that the ONLY FOOD she can eat. The boys took turns nursing with her and seldom fought over who went first.

A good book to read on the subject (yes, there is a book that mentions tandem nursing through pregnancy and triandem nursing!) is "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower. (And I'm not just recommending the book because I'm in it! :LOL ! It really is a good book!)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. My oldest may even be able to answer some of them for you!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#4 of 4 Old 07-29-2004, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the tips! I will defiantly look for "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page