Natural Birth in Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2004, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay... looooong story. We had planned on having a midwife assisted birth through a provincially funded program here in Alberta. However, for a couple of reasons we had to switch back to our general practitioner and will have to give birth in the hospital. I've contacted a doula. But, having given birth in the same hospital with DD and having a horrible experience, I'm still really concerned about having a natural birth in hospital. I'm afraid I'll "cop out" or that the staff will not respect my wishes. My mantra has become - Birth is a natural process, not a medical event. But, still I have fears and doubts. I should also mention, that because of our traumatic experience and lack of sufficient compassionate support, DD and I couldn't establish breastfeeding. What do I do to help myself relax and ensure that we are able to have a natural birth without medical intervention and successfully breastfeed my new baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow- I could go on for days and days- but first off my number one advice is stay home until you are "ready" to go. I went after 39 hours of early labor and hard labor together and she was born 1 hour later. Mine was a failed UC- however.... But, the longer you can stay away from them telling you every second "you ready for your pain meds yet, honey?" the better and safer you and your baby are.

As far as breastfeeding and bonding- I would labor nude and also ask to have your baby on you right away- they dont need to take him/her off and suck them out and do the weight and the first bath before you get a chance to hold your baby. Do let them do ANYTHING to the baby until you have at least an hour of holding time skin to skin. If you are going to do any shots they can wait, if they must suck out the baby make sure they do it gently- the more pain and trama they put your baby under the more problems for you. And I dont know where I read it, but I just read that the smell the baby has on his body from the fluid inside you is want will help him get to the breast and start nursing- so dont let them give the baby a bath- it can wait until you feel you can do it yourself. Also, dont be too upset if he doesnt nurse right way and dont let them give him ANYTHING- the problem is that they will take the baby out of the room "for a this or that" and next thing you know he will come in smelling like formula. Or my friends baby they gave him so much water "becaue they wanted him to throw up??" Sorry but what is in him can stay in him! Dont let him go anyplace with out you or your DH. also remember some babies are not interested in the boob for a few days- my friend just had a baby last week and it took her 5 days to get him to latch on- he was just not ready yet!

Hugs- and talk it over with the head nurse, they are helpful and worth a visit prior to the delivery to make sure your wishes are filled correctly!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
And I dont know where I read it, but I just read that the smell the baby has on his body from the fluid inside you is want will help him get to the breast and start nursing- so dont let them give the baby a bath
At the very least, don't let them wash the babe's palms - they're the nursing key.
You may be able to request a lactation consulatant from the hospital to come in a bit after the birth or the next day. If one's not available and you need support, contact your local LLL.
In terms of your mantra - you can tell the dr./mw/nurse on duty that you do NOT want meds and do not want to be offered meds. If you change your mind you'll let them know. If you have a doula, you'll probably go over this with her and she can be the one to ensure that you're not harrassed about this.
And staying home for as long as you're comfortable before needing to go to the hospital can help get you through a lot of waiting around time in a more comfortable environment. Again, a doula can help with this, meeting you at your house and supporting you as contractions get progressively stronger.

I'm sure we'll all be talking about these things more often after the holidays as we get impatient to meet our babes...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:59 AM

I think you've taken a very important first step in getting a doula, they can be the ones that speak up for you during the difficult parts of labor, when you're more likely to "give in" or whatever else. They can make wonderful advocates for you. Tell your practioner OFTEN that you want as natural a birth as possible, with as little intervention as possible and be very clear with the hospital staff. The more you tell the nurses and so on, the more they will understand you are serious about this. As far as nursing, be very clear on this, too. It seems like right after they are born, I'm so far on cloud 9 I have difficulty comprehending what's going on. Because of this, my first didn't get a chance to nurse until a couple of hours later. I told my mom and dh with my second to NOT let that happen, that I didn't want a thing to happen until I nursed. They spoke up when the nurses wanted to take him away and he was given to me directly. So ask your doula to make sure they don't take baby away. And keep repeating your mantra to yourself, to your partner, to your doula, practioner, staff at the hospital. It's going to take a lot of speaking up, though, just be prepared for that.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! What great advice! I'm feeling much better now!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 PM
mtm

Is your doc supportive of natural birth? I think that would be key. I asked mine her philosophy, the philosophy of her backup, the nursing staff etc fairly early on. Mine was very supportive so I had only limited intervention, never got asked about pain meds etc. I think a doula is a great idea.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:37 AM

I am a strong believer in getting the care you WANT. I do not know what it is like in Canada, but here, you need to be a prepared person to go to the hospital.

It seems there is a gap in between the fact that you are paying for a service, and that you can decide what is done to you at any given time. Feel free to say exactly that at any given time. Really. It brings the facts clear right then to all who hear it. " I am paying you , and I will not pay to be treated this way..." or similar.

Read your hospitals "patients rights" and know them. Do not suffer at the hand of any one. Be prepared to speak up for your self, and your husband too.

A doula is wonderful! I strongly recommend having one you agree with. And discuss that you may not be in a 'space' that you are not able to or wanting to speak, and that you want her to speak up and remind them what you want and dont want. Have a written birth plan with you, and here in the states, you can give to the Labor and delivery unit weeks before you show up. They "know" you a little better, and may respect your wishes more easily.

best wishes, and may you have a wonderful, fulfilling birth experience!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update this message to tell you all....

I DID IT!!!!!!!!

We had a beautiful natural childbirth with only 1 & 1/2 hours of hard labor + pushing. Our doula was AMAZING and we will cherish this experience forever!!!

User Tag List