Birth Stories--post 'em here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought it'd be nice to have all the birth stories in one place. Feel free to post your story here, or post a link to where your story is.

Pictures are good, too! Can't wait to add mine when she comes!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#2 of 58 Old 02-24-2005, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: Just have to make sure I get the notice when the stories start comin! I am just too excited!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#3 of 58 Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 PM

subscribing for the birth stories
#4 of 58 Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniebug
subscribing for the birth stories
#5 of 58 Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 PM

:

-Melissa

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#6 of 58 Old 02-26-2005, 02:49 PM

The blessed birth of my third daughter and fourth child,Stellaria Avani~

Intuition.We all wish we could intuitively know when the babes are going to come.Some sign,anything.I knew early on this babe would come between Feb.22-24.I don't know why,just knew.February 22nd was like any other day.Took care of the kids,went to the chiropractor cleaned up around the house and had sporadic BH's.Normal for me.I remembered i wanted to wash the sheets and put the shower curtain liner on the bed and extra sheets underneath for after our birthing.I was still 2 weeks away from my due date but something told me to do it.My husband walked in and asked why i was doing this so early.I told him,what if my waters break in bed?My waters have never broken before labor so i don't know how i knew this.I got everything ready in bed and laid down with my two year old dd and went to sleep.An hour later i awoke to my waters breaking!I got up and wondered what was to come next.A quick 45 minute birth like my last babe or a couple of days with broken waters.I got my husband and we hung out for awhile and i started having nice gentle surges.They were energy surges and not quite painful at all.They came around every 10 minutes or so and i really enjoyed the feeling of them.We called the midwife who was on alert in case of a quick birthing and she decided to come over around 11pm.We hung out until 2am just talking and laughing and i was enjoying my surges and we decided to settle in for the night so we could all rest up.I went back to bed and listened to my Hypnobirthing Cd's.My surges were still every 10 minutes and i could sleep in between them but not during them.It wasn't a very restful sleep to say the least.I relaxed between them and remembered my affirmations.At 5am i got up and put a plastic sheet under me and sat in front of a mirror and meditated.I spoke to my baby telling her we needed to do this together and to be gentle together to make this a wonderful birth.I felt very connected with her.My two year old woke up and crawled into my arms.We snuggled for awhile and then i laid her back down.I got up and went to hang out with my midwife who had just awoken.There was a very powerful storm that was crossing over us all night and the it was quite intense.Between the full moon and the storm there was a lot of energy flowing.We watched the storm and talked for awhile.She checked me and i was 4cm dilated and my water was still leaking.My contractions were still fairly mild and about 10 minutes apart.Very manageable.She decided to run home and take care of calling some of her prenatal clients and we had her assistant come over to watch me.I went and laid back in bed to rest some more after she left.I was feeling very tired still.I listened to my hypnobirthing cd and did my best to relax.The midwife asst. came in to the room and started rubbing my back out and talking gently to me.I fell into a deep asleep until my next contrax hit and i realized they were getting stronger.She rubbed me out good and we laughed and talked for a bit and then i fell back asleep in between the contrax.I awoke at 10am and decided i felt more rested and it was time to get this baby out and get these contrax going!I knew laying down was not going to get this baby out.I got up and took a shower.My contrax were much stronger and leaning up against the wall felt really good.I swung my hips around and leaned into them.I put on a nice big shirt and went to the kitchen to clean it up a bit.Every 8 minutes or so i would have a nice contrax and i would bend my knees and sway my hips and it felt so good.I heard the midwife asst calling my midwife and telling her i was getting more active.She decided to come on back over.I finished the kitchen and told my husband to get things together in the bedroom and i was going to have this baby very,very soon.I talked with my baby some more and told her to come out by noon and i would do my very best to bring her into this world as gently as possible.We went into the bedroom and i took my clothes off and was trying to get comfortable on my bed.My contrax were still fairly mild,but stronger then before but only every 6-8 minutes or so apart.We knew this baby was posterior and needed to rotate to get things going better.I laid on my left side for awhile and then felt pushy so i tried leaning into some of the contrax.It felt really good to do that.I tried doing this for a bit but nothing felt good enough for pushing.I tried a few positions and then decided to squat off the end of the bed.The midwife said i still had a lip on my cervix and to try laying on my left side for a few contrax.I laid down and when my contrax hit i just wanted to double over because of the pushing urge.Then i felt transition.My mind was saying i was too tired and this hurt and i did not want to do this.But outwardly i was saying i can do this,baby come out.I repeated over and over i can do this.My husband was confused because he was expecting me to get more crazy.I got up and squatted and i could feel the baby moving down some.I wasn't feeling it right though and the midwife told me to push my back out and not to lean into it so much.The next contrax i did that and i felt her head come all the way down.I know i screamed in there at some point and i could hear the asst saying to lower my voice,make it deep noises.I closed my mouth and pushed with all of my might.Her head was out and i could feel the burning.But i also felt the relief of knowing we were so close to being done.Then the midwife said wait,shoulder dystocia and she reached up inside of me and rotated the baby and told me to push and she was out!I lifted her into my arms and felt immediate peace and serenity.We did it!It was 11:54am and she came out before noon like i asked I just held her and loved her for a long time.The midwife asst is also a cranial sacral therapist and while i was holding my babe she did some energy work on her head.My baby was screaming and screaming from the rough delivery and once Shiva put her hands on her hand she calmed down immediatley.Once she was done my babe was as peaceful as could be.

I enjoyed this birth quite a lot.It was very different then all of my other births.I always had quick births and knew i would never have long to labor.With this one though i had no idea.My contractions never came more then 5 minutes apart.Which was a major blessing for me.I had time to relax and rest in between them.The pushing was a bit hard for me because i was having trouble feeling her at the time.But once i got the right position it felt great.My transition was amazing because i spoke positively through the negative thoughts.I talked and meditated alot with this babe while in labor and i felt like we were in sync with one another.

Now we are in bliss together.I have been very tired and sleeping alot but my babe is sleeping with me.She nurses wonderfully and we are enjoying getting to know one another.After the birth my chiropractor came and adjusted both of us and after she loosened the babe up she was much calmer and nursed much better.Her shoulder was quite messed up.I am so thankful for having the help i did with this birth and that i am so blessed with having such wonderful souls choose to come and be with me.

Happy blessed birthday to my sweet Stellaria Avani born on Feb 23rd 2005 at home~she weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and came 7 days early.

Stellaria is the latin name for chickweed(starflower)and Avani is sanskrit for earth.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...118AbMWrdw4bs0
#7 of 58 Old 02-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Very, very inspiring, Ravenmoon! Thanks so much for sharing, what a good way to start the birth stories for all us mamas in waiting. I'm so happy you had such a wonderful birth. Congrats again on your amazing experience and daughter (with such a beautiful name! as a botanist, I particularly love it)
#8 of 58 Old 02-26-2005, 04:16 PM

O' Ravenmoon, how magical. You have done so much for me in this birth story. I have been trying so hard to not have this idea that my birth will be days and days like my DD, and it will be easy and flow just right. Your birth shows it can be done- I am so excited for you... She is just so sweet and I am glad your birth was wonderful!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#9 of 58 Old 02-26-2005, 08:00 PM

How wonderful and beautiful Ravenmoon Stellaria is gorgeous!
#10 of 58 Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon
O' Ravenmoon, how magical. You have done so much for me in this birth story. I have been trying so hard to not have this idea that my birth will be days and days like my DD, and it will be easy and flow just right. Your birth shows it can be done- I am so excited for you... She is just so sweet and I am glad your birth was wonderful!
Me too. You were amazing! Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.
#11 of 58 Old 02-28-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Fabulous birth story! Can't wait to read more!

~Serina~

#12 of 58 Old 02-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Raven that was a wonderful birth story!!!! Brought tears to my eyes!!! I'm very much looking forward to reading more!! Thank you for sharing.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#13 of 58 Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 AM

Beautiful, ravenmoon! Well done, and enjoy your babymoon!
#14 of 58 Old 03-01-2005, 06:24 PM

What a wonderful story. I am so glad all went well. I was excited when the mw called to cancel my prenatal since you were in labor! What wonderful support we both have .
Enjoy this special time.
#15 of 58 Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your story, and especially for the picture. What a beautiful baby!

-Melissa

#16 of 58 Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Read about mtm's Noah here.

~Serina~

#17 of 58 Old 03-03-2005, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Read about CityGirl's son here.

~Serina~

#18 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 AM

On Saturday morning, I developed some pretty severe abdominal cramping. I was pretty sure it wasn’t labor, but I was hoping something might come from it. I had been to the midwife’s on Wednesday and I wasn’t the slightest bit dilated or effaced at the time. My husband and I decided to go to the mall on Sunday afternoon, just to walk around. I was still feeling pretty bad, but I thought walking might get things moving again.

Monday morning was my first day of maternity leave. We had a contractor come to our house to level our kitchen cabinets. Our kitchen has been under construction for months, and I even joked with Leo that I would rather have him finish the kitchen than attend the birth. I had a feeling that whatever day the countertop installation was scheduled for would also be labor day. Getting the cabinets leveled was the last step before installation.

My innards felt even worse on Monday. At that point I hadn’t really eaten or slept in several days. I tried to pretend to not be sick around the contractor, which was quite a challenge. After he left, I called Leo and basically told him that I was going to die. He insisted I call the midwife. She told us to come in. By the time Leo got home to drive me (there was no way I was driving myself) I told him I could not handle the 30 minute trip to her office. So we went straight to the hospital.

I had been planning a birth inside the alternative birth center in the hospital. They have big beautiful tubs to labor in and I was so looking forward to that. I had a doula all lined up and we had just met several days before to go over the birth plan.

Once I got to the hospital, they sent me to the ABC. A nurse checked me and told me that I was still not the slightest bit dilated or effaced. There aren’t any doctors in the ABC, so she sent me to regular L&D to see one for the food poisoning. The doctor ran some tests on me and found out my liver enzymes were really high and my BP was also high. So they decided to induce me.

They wanted to use Cytotec. I asked if they had anything else, like Cervidil or one of those prostaglandin gels. They said the hospital didn’t even stock anything else. When Leo asked what the big deal was, I was too sick to really answer, so I think I said something about Cytotec being linked to “exploding uteruses”. You should have seen his face! :LOL

I talked to the doctor down to just Pitocin. My midwife hadn’t shown up yet. They also put me on Magnesium Sulfate for the pre-eclampsia. I was catheterized because of that and I couldn’t get out of bed or even roll over on to my other side. At one point, there were 3 IV pumps, a catheter, oxygen and continuous fetal monitoring going on. I felt like the bionic pregnant lady. I sent my husband home to rest, as I was sure it would be a long night.

The doula called me at this point and basically convinced me that the induction would never work and that I should get a c-section. She pointed out how sick I was, how I wouldn’t be able to push after having no sleep and no food for days, etc. I asked the doctor about this and was told that I had to attempt a vaginal birth.

After about 4 hours on the Pit, my water broke. I calmly called the nurses station to let them know that either my catheter had exploded or my water broke. By that time my midwife was there. She checked me and I was already 4 cm!

They told me to call my husband back as it was all going much quicker than expected. I called home, but the line was busy. Turns out the snow storm had knocked out our phone. Just what we needed! I got a hold of his parents and they drove to our house to wake him up and get him to the hospital Thank God for in-laws!

I had an epidural at that point. They wanted to “crank up” the Pitocin and I was already confined to bed and catheterized anyhow. So I went for it. My family always has weird reactions to medical things (bad drug reactions and so forth) so I was a little freaked out by it. But I wasn’t really thrilled about the idea of laboring perfectly still on my side while they pumped me full of pitocin either.

The epidural was really no big deal. I didn’t have any issues with it and it was light enough to let me feel everything. I knew exactly when each contraction started; it just took the edge off. Really, I couldn’t have dreamed of a better epidural experience!

For completeness’ sake, I should add that the food poisoning was getting better (they gave me repeated doses on anti-diarrhea meds) but it wasn’t gone. Bed pans. And the room really stunk. Sorry, I know that’s gross. Really, DO NOT get food poisoning and then have a baby. It’s not a good combo. :

I also really got into the “relaxation channel” on hospital TV. It showed nature scenes while playing different relaxing music. That helped me get through the night. Oh, and my husband showed up about an hour later, that helped too!

At about 9 am on Tuesday, I felt like I had to push. I didn’t want to alert people to this until I was sure, though, so I spent a couple of contractions doing some weird coping dance on my side. Finally, I realized that it really was show time (I hadn’t been checked since my water broke) and I called in the troops.

My midwife checked me and I was complete. She told me how to push without really moving (again, so not what I was planning). I pushed in that prone beetle position that all the women on TV use. The midwife kept telling me to “push up”. You know, because that really is quite possible from that position….

They brought me a great big mirror for the foot of the bed. Any person would hate the view from that position, but it was so helpful to me I didn’t care. I really think it made all the difference in the pushing. The midwife and nurse kept telling me that I was close, but I figured they told everyone that. Once I saw that I really was close, I let loose.

My husband, who initially didn’t even want to be in the birth room when asked 9 months ago, was the ultimate labor coach. I’m close to tears every time I think about how great and supportive and encouraging he was. And I think my labor was ickier than most, so he really did go above and beyond all expectations.

After 10 pushing attempts, I got the head out. After that contraction, I decided that I was really quite done with the whole experience and I wondered how I could go about the rest of my life with a partially birthed son between my legs. Lucky for me, no one else in the room thought that was a good idea.

So Owen was born after only 40 minutes of pushing. I had two small, internal tears. I can’t believe how well everything turned out, considering how sick I felt and how many interventions I had.

I am also so happy that I never called the doula back. What kind of labor support tells you you should just have a c-section? Thank goodness the staff and my husband were all the support I could ask for. Just wish I could get my money back.

The cord was cut by my husband (who really didn’t want to do it but was talked into it by the nurse) after it stopped pulsing. The placenta came out in one piece about 30 minutes later. Owen nursed right away and has been going at it with much gusto ever since.

I had to be on the meds for 24 hours after the birth. I wasn’t allowed to move or eat for that time. I was so, so happy when I finally got to taste something other than ice chips. They kept me for 48 hours after the birth in total. We’ve been home almost 24 hours now and things are going just fine (well, I could use some sleep but that pretty much comes with the territory).

I don’t think that things could have turned out any better for us, considering how sick I felt. The only thing that irks me from the experience is what I was told by my doula. But I guess we’re on this planet to learn, and I will definitely not be calling her the next time around. I guess it was worth her fee to really discover what a wonderful man I married and how truly prepared he was to step up to the plate in my time of need.

Oh, I think the food posing is finally gone too. Thank goodness.

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#19 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 PM

Wow, Christine! I really commend you for keeping such a positive attitude in the face of birth circumstances beyond your control. I'm sure it made ALL the difference. So glad you didn't have to have a c-section (what the heck is up with that doula!!!) and everything turned out well. How awesome about your DH! Enjoy little Owen, resting and recovering, and thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Shannon
#20 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Welcome Owen!!!

Christine, yes, it's great that you have such a positive attitude. I had planned to go as natural as possible with my first birth, and ended up getting a huge blood clot a few weeks before delivery. I too was on several different IV's and couldn't move around at all due to pain (from the clot). They put me on blood thinners, which meant an epidural was not possible (I hadn't planned on having one anyway). I labored on my left side the entire time, and the nurses moved me into position (on my back) when it came time to push. So NOT the labor I had wanted! However, I too am grateful that all turned out well, my daughter and myself both fine. That's the attitude to have -- all's well that ends well.

I am due any day now with dd #2, and hopefully everything will go smoothly and I can have a water birth. But if something goes awry, as long as baby and me end up okay, that's all anyone can ask for.

Congratulations on the birth of your gorgeous baby!
#21 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

So glad you avoided the Cytotec, Christine. Even gladder that your doula's advice didn't come to pass. (Yikes!) You handled all of the out-of-your-control interventions really well! Enjoy your babymoon!

~Serina~

#22 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Christine

I am in such awe of you; you are AMAZING! What a story. I don't know if I could have done what you did with such a good attitude and such strength of spirit.

Enjoy your beautiful new baby!

-Melissa

#23 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Hey Christine, not only am I impressed with your coping skills (I just had a snotty cold during my first labour and that was bad enough) but your sense of humour is amazing! Good for you, and tell that doula she's a disgrace to the profession.

Congratulations!!!
#24 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Christine you have the best attitude and coping skills I have ever heard of! Owen is a cutie!!!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#25 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Christine, Wow.... I am so glad you are so positive. It does sound like the nurses and staff tried very hard to take good care of you to that hospital! And they even let the cord stop pulsing- amazing for a hospital! And let the placenta come out all on its own!! They were ripping my placenta out before I even held my DD. I am so glad you were respected!

Your little Owen is just so cute and I am so happy nursing is going well- and I promise sleep will come- or wait do we just become used to no sleep

Sending you

#26 of 58 Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM

What an amazing story, Christine! Good for you on standing your ground with the Cytotec! It sounds like, given the circumstances, you made the best of it. And congrats again!!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#27 of 58 Old 03-05-2005, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Read about jogirl's Davy

~Serina~

#28 of 58 Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Here is a link to the first pictures: http://photobucket.com/albums/v693/polihaupt/
The password is BabyH

On Wednesday afternoon I went in for a NST at the hospital. Everything was perfect except for the amnio fluid which was very low. They started talking about having to induce me right away, until I said I was seeing my midwives and they backed off When they checked my cervix I was 5cm and 90% and during the NST I was having contractions every 5 minutes which I did not even feel! They called the midwives to let them know I was on my way, but I asked DH to drive home first to arrange everything for the kids because I was feeling pretty good

45 minutes later (4:00 PM) when we actually left for the Birth Center, the contractions were coming stronger and I could actually feel them. My favorite midwife greeted me at the door, took us to a nice desert inspired bedroom she had all ready for us and said "I am all yours" Then she came with a menu of all the area restaurants and told us to order some hearty food because "you would not give a farmer a bowl of ice chips before he went off to the fields, would you?" I had a huge Gyro platter in between contractions and felt ready for labor.

I was 100% aware 100% of the time - The other times I was so nervous, out of touch, hungry and tired that the memories of those labors are blurry to me now. DH and I had a lot of fun joking around all the time, going in the jacuzzi and just enjoying that special moment. I really believe that the reason this labor was so pleasant was because we were in such a loving and wonderful environment and I was really able to relax and focus. DH felt so happy he could actually participate on the birth this time! The other times there was always someone else who took over and he was left out in a corner feelins stupid. Now he was fully a part of the whole process being the main support for me. Besides that, both midwives and the nurse were just like doulas throughout the whole thing. If I ever hinted I was about to lose it, they would gently talk me right back into focusing and breathing - they were just like loving moms actually

By the time I got to 8cm, I was not being able to talk through the contractions anymore and needed more help focusing and breathing, which DH and the midwives were absolutely wonderful with. The birthing ball was also unbelievable!! I sat on it most of the time with DH behind me holding his warms up so I could use them as squatting bars when I had a contraction - amazing how it helped! Another thing I wish I knew before is how wonderful it is just to have my arms around DH's neck and have him hug me when a contraction came while I was standing up. I always pushed DH away in the other labors because I had lost control - this time having him close made it all so easy!

By 11:25pm I was 10cm, but had NO urge to push. The uterus had been hanging as a pendulum, not allowing the baby to move all the way down into the cervix, so I just did not feel like pushing. My midwife then guided me through some positions to help the baby fall into place and that was very painful - for the first time during labor I was not able to take deep breathes during the contractions and relax. At 11:35 I was then told to push in order to move the baby down. I had only tried pushing babies ALREADY down, and doing this new maneuver were the absolutely most painful 5 minutes in my whole life!!! I truly thought I was going to die. Both my midwives were abslutely amazing though and guided me through every little step of that, and I believe that was a big part of making this phase only 5 minutes long

At 11:40 I felt my baby in my birth canal and I finally could do the real pushing!! I find this part of labor so empowering and wonderful. You're really working hard and feeling every little part of your baby coming out of you is just undescribeble! In 5 minutes, our baby boy was born!

The midwife began singing, put him right on my tummy and began working on me. I lost A LOT of blood but she quickly massaged all the globs out (eeewwwww) and I did not keep bleeding heavily all night long like I did with my other babies.

After our baby had nursed, the midwives cleaned the bed while I took a shower (there was blood all over ) and tucked all three of us in for the night. DH loved being able to sleep together with us instead of having to rest in a hard hospital chair.
We left early this morning and all 6 of us are really happy.

Our baby was nice and pink, chubby and VERY VERY vocal He tells you right away if there is something he does not like and seems to have a very strong personality. We will have to pick a name to match that - we have some in mind, but are not sure yet.

DH's boss said he does not want to seem him for at least one week because mom and kids need him home right now I feel so blessed!

Thank you all for your support, labor vibes, positive thoughts and prayers.
#29 of 58 Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 PM

Beautiful birth, beautiful baby! Congratulations again!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#30 of 58 Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 PM

What a lovely story! Congratulations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page