March Mamas: February 28 - March 6 (How is everyone doing??) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby turned!!!!!

I've been doing everything I can think of to get this kid to turn head down, ice on her head, down on my hands and knees, and I went to a chiro for the first time in my life on Monday. Well, yesterday morning I woke up and couldn't find the head. Found what I THOUGHT was the head down where it should be, but I really wasn't sure. At MW this morning I said to her "I don't know WHERE this kid is today." She thought head was down, but found heatbeat way up high, so she was unsure too. A brief ultrasound confirmed the head was DOWN!!

Not to mention that she dropped way down yesterday too, so she won't be flipping back over anytime soon. I'm so happy I could fly! Of course, I'm having really strong BH ctx and lots of cervical pain now that she is engaged, but I'm so happy I don't care.

Last day of work was friday. So glad to be home and able to rest, except of course for the huge list of things I want to get done before she gets here.

-Melissa

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#62 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Happy due date cholderby and polihaupt! Hmm, we haven't heard from cholderby for 3 days I notice, maybe she's working on the first March baby...

Your little girl is beautiful, weebitty!

Good luck, bubbles. Sounds like you got some good advice already. I'll be hoping this will pass so you can have a homebirth. Take care of yourself!

Yea, Melissa!!! Mine was breech too until the a few weeks ago, so I know what relief you are feeling.

Okay, with 6 days until my due date, I'm starting to get lots of "the calls". How are you feeling? Great, thanks. Does it feel close? No. What's going on? Are you ready? Ugh. A little annoying. I'm also getting more questions from strangers it seems. While they didn't bug me at all at first, these same questions and more (what are you having, what will you name it, when are you giving birth?) are starting to annoy me too. Hmm, other than those minor complaints my attitude is great! I'm enjoying being pregnant still and waiting for my babe.

We're so much more active here! It's nice hearing from everyone. Love and encouragement to you all!
#63 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 PM

Okay, here's what I've been doing with my nesting energy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ySetFolded.jpg

Click here to see it after I Kool-Aid dyed it pink. (I'm so disappointed in the shade it turned out. What do you think? Should I even put it on the poor baby?)

And here is the knitting bag I sewed a few nights ago. I'm planning on sewing a knitting needle case next. But not tonight--tonight, I'm putting my feet up and knitting a little hat for my toddler. (I haven't figured out how to sew and put my feet up at the same time.)

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#64 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

WOW Serina

Those are gorgeous!!!
#65 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Serina, I love the color! You are amazing! I wish I was more inclined to knit! I only knitted a blanket for my neice when I found out my sister was pregnant! (I think she is afraid to wash it because it will unravel!!!)

Yeah on the non breech baby! I am very excited!! Feels soon!!!

Can't wait to share my story!!!!
#66 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM

Serina-I really like the color, too. What kind of shade were you going for?

I'm just teaching myself to knit as well, but being left-handed it's a lot harder when someone wants to help show me what I'm doing wrong....my left-handed sister knits right-handed, but I just can't get the hang of it that way. I'm VERY left-handed!! Stubbornly-so.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#67 of 118 Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon
is anyones elses baby very very quiet?
#68 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 01:18 AM

I've gotten really behind, but know that I am sending prayers and vibes to all the appropriate people! (mtm, we were sure wondering how you were doing, and I'm so glad to hear your little one is doing well now.)

I think I posted last week about how with dd, I felt despairingly like I would be pregnant forever! Now this time, I have started feeling like I could be pregnant forever. I've gotten used to it, and it wouldn't phase me much. I think I may have *over*cultivated a Zen attitude toward going past my due date. Hope the birth doesn't catch me unprepared. It just doesn't quite feel real.

My diaper sewing is not going well, because my sewing machine broke! I did manage to fully finish one whole diaper and several wipes before it happened. Ugh. Trying to decide whether to lug it out to get fixed (we already need to fix our camera and my dh's glasses) or just deal and use the flats.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#69 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 02:33 AM

Serena--that is gorgeous! I love the bag too.
Melissa--good news. I know that is a relief.
Crayon--my baby is quiet too. I am constantly wrestling w/ the idea of a sonogram. When I do movement counts it is ok, but it worries me a bit sometimes.

I saw a great accupuncturist today for my bp. She said I don't need to do the high protein thing (it wasn't working anyway) and I am relieved. She gave me some advice on types of protein and adding more flowering and root vegetables. The treatment felt good and I will go for two more. My bp was better througout the day so I am responding well to the bedrest. I am more hopeful now, but not out of the woods yet. Just taking it day by day. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
#70 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 AM

Serina, those are gorgeous! My Ds would love the colour! I'm planning to knit him a hooded cardigan so that I have something to keep working on instead of stressing about getting this baby out. I asked him what colour he'd like and he asked for pink

jo, i've been wondering the same thing about "natural induction". I read about the ankle pressure point and last night when Dh gave me a foot bath/rub was tempted to ask him to use those...but then it felt wierd, like shouldn't it be this baby that gets to choose when it's ready to come out? This is a big practice in patience and acceptance right now...

Contracting away here...I can't do another 2 weeks of this! Last night I was sure I'd have to ask DH to set up the pool, but finally fell asleep. Always wierd to wake up as if it were all just a dream.

Yay, for the turned baby

And come on the rest of you March babies girl: boy: girl: boy:
#71 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Well, here's the update on my breech baby: On Tuesday night, I sat in bed with frozen corn on his head and a warm rice sock down low on my stomach and then went to sleep with a flashlight shining down low to try to coax him back down. I woke up during the night because I could feel him trying to turn towards the light and my uterus just felt very tight and tender. I got in the bathtub and floated on my belly for about an hour and then sat on my birth ball for about an hour before going back to bed. Yesterday I went to the chiropractor for the Webster's Maneuver and then shortly after that, dh and I went to my Granny's funeral. I could feel a lot of pressure on my cervix during the memorial and the baby was moving *a lot*. After we picked my three dd's up, we stopped by my mw's house to have her re-check his position. Apparently something had worked because he was head down. I had an acupuncture appointment at 5pm, so I went ahead and went to that, and he said that the points that he treated on my feet would either get labor going if my body/the baby were ready or at least keep the baby head down. Actually, I think that I have been having *less* cntxs since I had the acupuncture done. However, the baby is still head down this morning, and I just hope that he stays that way.

Also wanted to add my two cents on natural induction methods: It has been my experience (both personally and professionally) that **natural** methods of inductions only work if both mom/baby are ready. So, IMO (and obviously since I just did acupuncture myself!) natural methods of *encouraging* (that's a much more appropriate word for it) labor such as acupressure, acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, walking, sex, eating certain foods, etc. are only going to work if they are just additional ingredients added to the labor cocktail that your body has already been brewing. Again, that's just my two cents.
#72 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey mamas-

Serina, I love it!!! I think the color looks great- but I know what you mean, I did a kool aid dye on a soaker and it jut didnt come out like I had in my head.... But it is wonderful anyway! And I love the bag..... So much like spring and summer!

Love that the babies are turning We must be giving good vibes on this board!!

Well, last night I had some really good back cx and some around the tummy- I called my mom, my friend and got them all excited... then it slowed down. Well I should not say slowed down, but the pain stopped- but the cx are still happening. I woke up this morning and my uterus felt very achy and I have been having non-painful cx all day. I know something is happening so I am in town at DHs office doing my last bit of shopping. I just feel like my body is getting ready. If I am still pregnant in 2 or 3 weeks I am going to kill somone.. I hate speaking too soon.... But I have the vibe! So send me "baby get moving" vibes please!!!

Off to go shopping

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#73 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 03:47 PM

I haven't posted in forever because a) I was sick for a while and b) my baby had been lying in a transverse position (sideways) for weeks and weeks. She FINALLY turned last week (at 36 1/2 weeks) after a weekend full of hypnotherapy, acupuncture, yoga positions and moxibustion. We had an ultrasound yesterday and she's still head down, so we are greatly relieved. Since I am on blood thinners to prevent blood clots (I had one during my last pregnancy), I couldn't have risked going into labor with my baby sideways (too great a risk of uterine rupture), so I am VERY glad she's now head down and we can go on with our planned waterbirth. We are birthing with a midwife and doula, in a hospital with docs nearby, just in case (I'm very high-risk, so unfortunately a home birth is out of the question).

During the ultrasound yesterday, the technician made a 3D image of Sage's face (we're naming her Sage). It's incredible -- looks like a baby picture, not an ultrasound image. We can actually see what she looks like. Wild.

I am very ready to give birth. I am actually really looking forward to labor, since last time around I had a gigantic blood clot and was in a lot of pain, and couldn't move around at all. I am sure this one will be much easier, since I'll be able to walk/kneel/squat/use the birthing tub/whatever I feel like doing. Since my first labor was 6 hours 45 minutes from start to finish, I anticipate a quick labor this time around.

Good luck to all of you. We're almost there!
#74 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments! That sweater was the first knitting project I've completed in years. I posted over on the Yarn board, and got some good ideas for how I can "fix" the color. I'll probably just try it on the baby first (if she ever comes out ) and go from there.

Yay for turned babies! Sometimes this gal moves so much, and so awkwardly, that I'm sure she's breech. But when I check the heartbeat, I know she has to be head down (based on where I have to put the fetoscope to hear it). It's reassuring.

Movement overall has really slowed down over here, too. There will be 1-2 active times a day, then nothing. I'm doing so much contracting (painless still) that I understand why she's not moving. I check her heartbeat often, and she seems great.

I agree with Amanda's comments on natural induction methods. I was going to post the same thing--most "natural" methods will not induce a baby that's not ready. (Even things like castor oil, in my opinion, will not make a baby come if it's not ripe. But I still have more thinking/research to do on that recommendation.) I'm tempted to take a castor oil concoction myself, but have told myself I'll wait until at least 39 weeks.

~Serina~

#75 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM

hey ladies!

i had food poisoning and went to the hospital. turns out i was also pre-eclamptic so i got induced. totally not the birth i had hoped for, but it really ended well and i am so happy to introduce Owen Michael to the world! he was born at 9:56 am on 3/1. 7 # 11oz abd 21 1/4" long. oh and he has the biggest baby feet i've ever seen!

i will write the birth story soon, hopefully after i figure out how to nurse and type at the same time!

can't wait to read up on all that i missed!

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#76 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the world Owen!!!!!!
#77 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Serina--that set is so cute

Amanda--agree with you on the natural "encouragement" (except in the case of castor oil ewwwwwwwwww lol). I had a baby that was ready to be born but my alignment was out of whack. Upon seeing the chiro, the ctrx that had alreay started that day (and the last several days prior) finally switched gears to active labor. I owuldn't hesitate to see a chiro again if I experience another prodromal labor like that.

Me--I have no freaking energy. I think I have ranted baout this enough. And on top of no energy I am also trying to work a full homeschooling schedule, failing miserably I might add. Its hard to keep a 2 and 4yo occupied while concentrating on my 9yo who tends to be a butthead when he decides he has had enough :LOL I definetly don't think we can do this full packed schedule routine so I am going to just have to deal and only do 2-3 lessons a day vs 5-6.

Had the midwife home meeting last night. My 2 friends (labor supporters/babysitters) were here as well as DH. My one friend, after meeting the mw, now totally understands why I do not want them here. The mw really pissed me off by telling dh that if I didn't want to call that he should call. I think I am going to hide their numbers My birthplan is very detailed & I got even more detailed as far as my wants at the metting. But I still don't think the mw is getting it. My friend said she came across very condescending. Yea i can see how she comes across that way. Definetly have got to have that talk with DH, but we both need to be able to stay awake and get all the kids asleep, which seems to be a bit of a problem.
#78 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 PM

Picture here:
http://peckish.diaryland.com/050303_16.html

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#79 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
rad

Congrats Christine!! I've been wondering how you were doing.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#80 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Congratulations, Christine!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#81 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Wow, Christine, what a story!!! Just goes to show you, you just have to go with the flow! :LOL I'm glad it all turned out well. Your little boy is just beautiful.

Congratulations!!

About baby being quiet: Last night, I downed 5 teaspoons of maple syrup to see if he would move from the sugar boost!! He didn't of course, but chose to move much later during the perinneal massage session (anyone else find that really irritating?), and then in the middle of the night when I was trying to stop fretting about all the things there are to fret about at this point.

Moving babies: Since there's a lot of talk about flipping and moving babies, I thought I'd share this. My naturopath recommended green clay to encourage a baby to move. Clay has magnetic properties and will (supposedly) pull the baby towards it. So in my case, we were concerned that he wouldn't move to the left side on his own, she told me to apply green clay (mixed with water in a non-metallic bowl) to my left side shortly before the due date. As it turns out, I think he moved on his own, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Natural inducations vs encouragement: Yes, I see there's a difference there, Amanda, thanks for pointing that out.
#82 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 PM

: Yea, Christine! I had a feeling about you... wasn't thinking food poisoning and pre-e though. Glad you've got Owen home safe and sound. He's a total cutie!

That's three March 1 babies, eh?

I agree natural "encouragement" is not the same as inducing, but I also agree with Jenniebug that castor oil is an exception. It's a very, very strong natural chemical, actually the same compound is synthesized for one of the medical induction drugs (can't remember which). I've heard several first hand accounts of castor oil inductions, they sound intense! I know my midwife (who is really awesome, I must say) would not recommend castor oil before you even hit 40 weeks, Serina. She views it as a last resort for 42 weeks on. Curious what Amanda thinks...

Good job on the knitting, Serina! I like the pink too, at least my monitors version.
#83 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 PM

He's gorgeous, Christine!! and i love his name!
#84 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Congrats, Christine! Welcome, Owen & his big feet! I thought maybe a baby announcement was coming from you. I hope the induction went as well as can be expected.

~Serina~

#85 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 PM

Congratulations!!!

Oye Yemaya oloto
#86 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Hi Everyone.. Wow babies here and babies on the way. Yay!

I have a question. My baby has dropped and I have been having many braxton hicks contractions this week (more than usual). Today I'm having menstrual type cramping, not too bad or anything. It doesn't really correspond with the contractions though, more seperate... weird. Does anyone have an idea what that means? I am 37 w 4 days. My first two were born 38 1 and 38 3.

Thanks everyone.

Rebecca
#87 of 118 Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 PM

I really did roll off of it earlier, but I caught myself on a chair and just kind of slid off. :LOL

Rebecca, I have been having the same "menstrual cramp" feeling for days now. Could mean something laborish or it could just be an annoyance, as it appears that mine is. Kind of like the whole mucous plug thing. For some women, losing it means that labor is starting, but other women lose it and are pregnant for a couple more weeks. It can be really frustrating trying to read all of the little "could be labor, or not" signals that our bodies send us. I do the exact same thing to myself. Gee, I sure am waddling a lot and feeling lots of cervical pressure... Wonder if it means anything? Now where's that crystal ball of mine???

Shannon, I didn't mention castor oil in my list of *natural labor encouragers* because IMO, it is a little bit more harsh than the other methods. Castor oil comes from castor beans, which contain a deadly toxin. A lot of midwives encourage clients who are post-dates to use castor oil to induce labor, but I am not one of those. I'll never say never because each woman should be treated as an indivual and be encouraged to make her own decisions, but I would just do everything else before the castor oil. Having said that, at least it's not pitocin or cytotec, so...
#88 of 118 Old 03-04-2005, 01:22 AM

I'm still hanging in there- 37 weeks today! Yay I'm in the clear as far as the homebirth goes! Grey's head down and getting lower in the pelvis everyday- I've been having some small contractions at night. I hope he doesn't come early as I have a lot of school work to finish! : I did however clean the entire apartment with the help of my AWESOME man last night! We're both nesting!

I can't wait- CONGRATS to all the mamas who have already had their babies!!!! March mamas are really starting to get going- it seems like a new baby everyday!!!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#89 of 118 Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 AM

welcome to little owen

i am feeling much less movement too. iwas actually in tears at one point today and called my mw. after two frozen fruit pops and a glass of ice water i felt movement again. i could feel little movements through the rest of the day so i feel better. it certainly was not a good morning for my high bp. my ds used an empty tp roll and could hear the heartbeat. pretty cool.
i am losing bits of mucous today, but not th plug all at once that i hear about. i never noticed losing it w/ my first pregnancy so don't hve anything to compare too.
my mw is hoping that another visit or two to the accupuncturist will bring down my bp when i am not at rest. the rest is keeping it at a safe level for the baby so at least i know she or he is ok until we decide if we can proceed w/ homebirth.
#90 of 118 Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 AM

: Owen!!!

Congratulations Mama!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page