March Mamas: March 21 to 28 - Babies, Babies and More Babies! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aquarianmom!! I've heard pineapple can help bring on labor. Kash, congrats!

I'm still loosing my plug. Due tomorrow but highly doubt baby is coming then.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#32 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Congrats Kash!

Owen was up for HOURS last night. So tired.

I had a typically crazy call from my step-monster last night. She feels very strongly that we should start feeding Owen rice cereal. I pointed out that he is only 3 weeks old and she swore up and down that she started her son on solids at 2 weeks. This is the same woman that recommended "euthanasia" for my BIL with a cold (I guess she meant "echinacea", my sister said she wasn't ready to put him down yet anyhow). :LOL At least her baby rearing days are behind her. Kind of scary.

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#33 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 10:49 AM

Yay, Patch! Welcome, Jacob!

Christine, my MIL told me that she fed her kids rice cereal at 6 weeks. I said, surely you mean 6 months, but nope. She's questioned many of our parenting practices, albeit politely, but now she sees our adorable healthy 3 yr old she has concluded, "I guess you just do things differently..."

Ang, I am feeling much the same way today after feeling "fully recovered" by about day 5. My bleeding had almost stopped and today is heavy again. I realised yesterday was the busiest I've had so far and I carried Lila in the sling a lot. So I figure it's my body saying, 'take it slowly'. Today I'm staying home, going slowly, taking arnica and drinking my after birth tea (nettle, raspberry leaf, lemonbalm & alfalfa).

Serina, I hope your little one mellows out some. I'd forgotten the noise thing. But yesterday I vacuumed and she was fine. Today Lila was napping and woke up every time the music stopped on the CD player; and here had been me keeping things so quiet the first week; silly, and that was a mistake we made with DS who then grew to have a really hard time sleeping unless it was totally quiet. Well, at least with an older child around it's unlikely to stay quiet for too long!
#34 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Cholderby: My mother has mentioned twice to me that she gave me rice cereal at 2 weeks and if I gave it to Logan, he would sleep longer and not want to nurse so often. I was like, "So filling his stomach with useless volume that he can't digest well and won't want the food he's supposed to have is a GOOD THING?" She hasn't said anymore about it. That was a school of thought in that time. My mother also received a shot in the hospital to dry up her milk! Can you imagine someone asking for that today!?
#35 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 AM

yay kash! congrats!!

eating pineapple hasnt worked for putting me in labor but it sure is yummy!
#36 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Jacob!!! Congrats Patch!!!!!

to everyone still waiting- I was 11 days over due with my first, so I feel for you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmomma2005
Cholderby: My mother has mentioned twice to me that she gave me rice cereal at 2 weeks and if I gave it to Logan, he would sleep longer and not want to nurse so often. I was like, "So filling his stomach with useless volume that he can't digest well and won't want the food he's supposed to have is a GOOD THING?" She hasn't said anymore about it. That was a school of thought in that time. My mother also received a shot in the hospital to dry up her milk! Can you imagine someone asking for that today!?

I second this whole thing! I hear the rice cereal stuff a lot from mothers that formula fed. and my mom also got a shot to dry up her milk. I must say that my mom is a great breastfeeding grandma- totally supportive, my MIL is more like the "cover up please" type. It makes her uncomfortable

Christine- did you ask about prefolds a few weeks ago? How we fold them? Well I took photos of Breeze putting on a prefold for you- and anyone else to see how we make them fit! http://kids.corelevel.com/gallery/prefolds

Muse- I also stopped bleeding and then today heavy flow.... And I took it very easy yesterday. I am getting very stressed, my house is a pit! in on spot I have 3 empty 2 lt. pop bottle (thanks to DH) a pair of Rainey sliky shorts, paper, and other garbage crap- and this is all in about a foot spot! Raineys room is a mess, my office- heee... yeah right! My room is a mess, the downstairs MESS! And my ILs are coming tomorrow!

My ILs have decided to get a hotel room. So that is good, because I tend to end up in the spare room when Breeze wakes up at night so I dont wake everyone else up. Last night Rainey decided not to go to bed until 3am.... How am I even alive today??? She has been very testy with us- crying and having fits, she is not one to have fits. I mean on the floor bursting into tears because we say no to something. So unlike her. I guess this is a bit much for her.

I guess I have nothing super positive to day :LOL I have been locked up in the house for a week- besides the 2 trips I have made to walmart. I guess I am going stir crazy. We are getting some light snow here today too- I just cant wait for spring. We have 3 feet of snow on the ground, no joke! I want it all to go away so I can take Rainey to the park.

Here is a picture of Breeze that I took yesterday (1 week old!!!) and here is one of Rainey I have to share her too! She will be 2 on Thursday! 1 week away....

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#37 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM

I'm back! I posted a birth story on the birth story thread, but I'll give you the summary-boy born on the morning of the 22nd of March, 7lbs and 20in long. We were home from the birth center a few hours later, and just hanging out here at home being pampered by dh. Everything went really smoothly for us! Yippee!! He still doesn't have a name, but I'll keep you posted. Today might be the day that he gets one....

http://homepage.mac.com/stomko

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#38 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM

Ellery's lump (cephalohematoma, left parietal) is not getting smaller. Today her doctor took one look at it and ordered an x-ray series. I had to expose her to four different x-rays, and I'm feeling awful. That kind of radiation is terrible for anyone's health, much less a two week old. But he's concerned about it's size and wanted to make sure there was nothing else going on. I can't get over the guilt, though. She screamed the entire time (especially when they not-so-gently "stabilized" her head between two hard foamy things) and I just wanted to take her and run away.

Ack. Early food feeders. I tend to avoid the topic with my family now. We didn't feed our firstborn solids until seven months, and we don't intend to feed solids to this one until she's ready, either. I'm thinking around nine months, unless she show readiness earlier. It think all the grandparents were ready to start sneaking her cereal at night, as they seemed really uncomfortable with exclusive breastfeeding past one week of age. "When are you going to start feeding her?" Hmmm...isn't that what I do now?

What really gets me is my sister-in-law. Her husband is diabetic, and has been since toddlerhood. Her kids are at risk, too, and she starts feeding them solids at three months. I just read a study in a very mainstream magazine that linked early feeding of solids to the development of diabetes! I mentioned it to her, casually, and she said, "Yeah, it seems like we can't do anything right anymore! I just let things roll off my back." Okay then.

I had stopped bleeding, too, until Tuesday. I've been out every day, so I'm thinking I should slow down. It's the durned carseat, which I'm philosophically opposed to carting around. But it's so cold at times that I feel bad picking up my cozy newborn and exposing her to the frigid air before stuffing her in a sling and rushing to the door. So, I lugged around the seat until inside, then used the sling. That takes a lot of work!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#39 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 05:55 PM

Serina, where did you see that article? My cousins husband is also diabetic and she is starting to feed her 4 month old solids! It drives me nuts.... We started our girl at about 10 months I think- well when she was 6 months she had yams but nothing else until about 10 months and even at her 1 year birthday she didnt want any cake only the fruit I used to cover the cake! That made me very happy

Wow... I am bleeding something major around here- like the day after she was born. I didnt even have a pad on yesterday- no blood at all, and today bang- HELLO! I am tired and emotional. DH said for me to lay down today and we will deal with the house tomorrow night- right.... He really doesnt clean- his idea of cleaning is putting his shirt on the bed and not the middle of the floor... Yeah, right "WE" will clean. I hate when my ILs come for this very reason. It is not like they have a super clean house, but still... My mom said "maybe she will help you clean".. Dont think so. I have managed to keep up on laundry however I need to hang it all up- 3 loads.

I cant believe my baby is 8 days old. It just goes so fast.

Okay- I have to check out TAO and the TP- I am in a major need for infant sized prefolds, my girl just pees too much for preemies!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#40 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 05:00 PM

Who else is still a mama in waiting?

I am 2 days "late" but ok with that because I don't want to go into labor untl after Wed when the midwife I really like will be back in town. Still I am slightly depressed to still be pg and not holding my baby. The diapers and adorable lil onesies & nighties are taunting me :LOL I may have to hide them!
#41 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM

***warning grumpy, pregnant lady posting***

Me, I am STILL waiting. I know, I shouldn't be so depressed being really only 2 days "late." But still, I am so very emotional today. I had an appt. and broke down crying in the mw office. I can't seem to talk about how I feel without crying. I wish I could be more zen about this whole thing, but unfortunately I go from feeling like my body is a total failure (which I logically know is not true) to really, honestly and truly believing I will not ever give birth to this baby (which I suppose I know is not possible, but I really don't believe it). So you see, none of these are positive or reassuring thoughts. Mentally, I feel like I am in a really bad place. Physically, I feel like total crap. My entire pelvic girdle aches and has for over a week. My lower back makes it almost impossible to walk, otherwise I'd be out there walking miles to bring on labor. I really do wish I wasn't so grumpy. I need to go back to the top of this post and warn unsuspecting readers of my grumpiness. NSTs start next week--yippee! Dh gets to burn his sick time taking care of ds while I spend half a day at the hospital and mw's.
#42 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 06:31 PM

I know exactly how you feel!! i am sooo hormonal! i cr yover everything, i get mad at everything. it just sucks suck sucks! it also doesnt help that i am having some major conflicts with one of the mw's.

today dh asked me if i wanted to do anything or if i needed anything. i was almost in tears saying how id like to get out and just go for a walk or sip a cool drink with a friend but that the energy it would recquire to get dressed and actually leave the house was just too much. and out came the waterworks. mentally i am so messed up. its not like me! physically i guess i am ok i mean my pelvic area hurts so bad that my knees will buckle when i try to walk but that doesnt bother me *too* much. my back is achy an dits hard to breathe but truly i can deal with the phhysical discomfort if my mental pity party wasnt so bad.

the only reassuring thing is i know i wont be pregnant forever, they do eventually come out. i had already psyched myself up for an april baby and i realize thats just a week away but that week seems so far rightnow!
#43 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 PM

Hugs you guys!

I am so sorry for you- I know how much it sucks to be in total pain. It is no fun.... I cant even believe that my girl is 9 days old today- And everyone knows I was cranky and hurting and also very emotional... You will all be holding your babies soon! I will send you good "stay in" vibes Jennie, I know birth is best when you dont have mental blocks with your MWs. Maybe you will have a march 31st baby!! That is my DDs birthday!

Well Breeze is wonderful. She was awake more today than she has been- it seems she really doesnt like white noise. I had the vacuume on today and she really didnt like it. So her daddy took her upstairs and she feel asleep on him for a few hours! It was so cute- her sucking her thumb fast alseep. Then my 2 year old feel asleep on her toy box :LOL pretty cute too!

Well, the ILs are coming so I better get the cleaning done

Hugs- I will check in on you tomorrow!

#44 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 11:05 PM

*hugs* Jennie & MamaDaisy.
I can relate. So far no majr emotional breakdown but I go around sighing alot...very heavy,dramatic sighs and I'm impatient and restless. I HATE answering the phone because it's always someone calling to ask ,"Are you STILL pregnant??" and I just wanna scream at them.

The good news? I have seen signs of my mucous plug but unlike other times when I have lost it pre-labor, I'm losing it slooooowly, little by little.

*sends many blessings and labor vibes to those still in need*
#45 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 11:07 PM

to all the Mamas who are patiently waiting for their babies. Rachel was 5 days late.... the waiting is the pits.

My babe is already two weeks old which I can hardly believe. She had her check-up today and is 10lbs 9 ozs and 22.5 inches long. She is growing like gang busters on mama's milk. The pedi said she looks absolutely perfect!

She is a much different baby than my first DD. She loves her cuddles but she is also content to be in her bouncey seat. The sling has been a total life saver. Not sure I could manage a 2 year old and a newborn without it.

My DH is off of work for one more week. We are relishing are time together as a family. I think I will cry buckets when he leaves for work next Friday.

JoyfulMomma
#46 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 11:08 PM

Wanted to add : wishes to all the new babies.

JoyfulMomma
#47 of 53 Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 PM

Oh mama's i so feel for you all ((hugs)) i know how hard it must be at this point.It is so weird for me because my babe is already a month old!I have already forgotten the aches and pains of it all.Soon,soon i promise!

With my third babe i sat at 5cm dilated for 2 weeks and she still would not come out.I got to 43 weeks and was being threatened with induction at a hospital so i finally broke down and took castor oil.I was holding my babe within 45 minutes.I don't know why she didn't want to come out.She was very obviously overcooked.

I am so loving this babe.She is so mellow and sleeps so good.We go to bed at 9pm and get up at 8am with no fuss.She nurses every few hours but that's it.I'm in heaven.
#48 of 53 Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 AM

Crayon March 31 would work for me, but April 1 would be very cool LOL

mamagaia-thanks! Im making the big loud heavy sighs as well.

ravenmoon--so not going the castor oil route unless i end up like you just described being 42-43 weeks and threatened with a hospital induction. i did CO with my 2nd child and all i got was a bad case of the poops, extreme rectal pressure AND my water broke before the castor oil took effect so i was in hard labor when it did take effect. So not fun!
#49 of 53 Old 03-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Congratulations, simplehome!!! Beautiful pictures of your family. (And congratulations to everyone whose thread I missed -- actually I probably read it but was interrupted by a spray of poop or a sudden attack of tandem nursing or something before I could reply.)

Jenniebug and Aquarianmom and Mamadaisy and anyone else who's still waiting (or hopefully not!) -- now all the labor vibes are focused on you.

WARNING: VENT

Another thing I now remember but had apparently forgotten (did I lose huge chunks of time?!) was that after Grace was born, I felt like leaving my apartment and having a peaceful time in public had been forever ruined for me. Well now I feel that way again. I made the mistake of taking Eve out of the sling while grocery shopping -- though I didn't have much choice -- and immediately began to be attacked by overbearing people. One woman seriously told me to support her head, and another lectured me on how someone could come up and drop cans on her head as I was sitting on the floor nursing her in the most out-of-the-way place I could find. (Unfortunately this wasn't one of the times when she can easily be sling-nursed, and this is not a store with seats anywhere. And we don't drive; we live in the Bronx, which if you've been here may explain a lot ) People always seem extremely concerned that we are going to break our babies. Having 2 children to receive unsought advice and somewhat intrusive if positive attention from strangers about kind of sucks. It's giving me a new appreciation for the joy of staying home.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#50 of 53 Old 03-26-2005, 10:24 PM

Erin : That nosy people thing is really hard to get used to. I am a first time mommy, and while I love to get out and and go with Logan, Bryce and I are noticing people just get right in your face and the baby's face wherever we go. I think I am going to start telling people he has ebola or something. And I'm getting a shirt with a dry erase board on the front and back so I can write "It's a boy, he's (this many) weeks old, please dont touch either of us!!!" I'm only half kidding. But I am out and about to spend time with Logan, not to show him off to perfect strangers!

Sorry for the rant. It just has started to bug me in the last week. I haven't had any crying fits, maybe my hormones have decided I'm just gonna be mean to strangers!!! LOL
#51 of 53 Old 03-27-2005, 11:39 AM

I'm with you Autumn! Maybe we can make t-shirts.

I don't want to brag (ok, I do) but Owen slept in 4 hour increments last night! It was an Easter miracle!

He's off to meet his great-grandparents for the first time today. And I get to put him in a little bunny ear hat, which really irritates his father.

Mom to Owen (03/05), Mary (07/07) and Joseph (06/10).
#52 of 53 Old 03-27-2005, 12:00 PM

OK, so I am feeling a little more upbeat about still being pregnant. I was reading some articles and trying to reassure myself that babies do, indeed, come out when they are ready. I am still in horrible pain. After a week of good solid rest due to dh being home for spring break, I was feeling pretty good. Then yesterday I had to do the weekly grocery store trip and I felt/still feel like I ran a marathon (and I do NOT run anywhere). Nothing but the birth ball for me today.

I have to say I am very jealous of those of you who are holding your new additions this Easter. Mentally, I sort of said to myself...well, at least this babe will make its appearance by Easter. I thought I'd be able to take a picture of my kiddos together.

I have one thing that I have been planning to do for at least 8 months now coming up on Wednesday. Dh is sure the babe will arrive by then because it is the only thing I've planned to do. However, I am not so sure.

I know what you ladies mean about people butting in with advice and doting where it isn't wanted. I had so many people ask me if my son was comfortable in the sling or "couldn't he fall out of that thing?" or offering helpful advice like "put a hat on that baby!" Geez, did I ask the world to raise my child! None of the comments seemed productive or good-intentioned either. I remember the first time we went out with ds in the sling. One woman asked me--as someone else here said--if I had a real baby in there. He was making those squeaky newborn noises and she said she thought he sounded like a kitten. Hmmm...now that would be cause for alarm! Me carrying a kitten around JCPenny's in a sling. Some people...

Happy Easter to all who celebrate! Happy Spring to all!
#53 of 53 Old 03-28-2005, 10:11 AM

It is really hard to read those comments about carrying a kitten around JCPenny's in a sling without jostling poor Logan awake when I laugh! That is such a riot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page