Mothering Forum banner

Ultrasound for size because of FH?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  crayon 
#1 ·
Sorry, this is long:
Hi Mamas,
My EDD is today and I have an OB and a midwife. I'm planning on an Hbac, but have an uncommonly moderate OB doing my prenatal care in case it doesn't work out (He thinks I'm going to VBAC in the hospital - I don't think that's such a good idea because of prior hospital experience with ds #1).
I went in for my weekly appt with the OB and am measuring 46 cm for FH. I've been honery and haven't seen him for about 3 weeks, but last time I measured just 40.
Also, no thinning or dialating at all supposedly and ds#1 came 15 days late (spontaneous labor, then enhanced with pit and ending in a C/S).
He's concerned that my baby had an unusual growth spurt and wants me in the hospital for a thorough US and a guess at the weight. Then he wants me in the office on Thursday again to talk about the findings.
The question is: 1. Do I care, because I'm still planning a home birth? Should I find out what their guess is even though they may be 2 lb's + or -? Should I be concerned because baby's going to get bigger while I wait?
I've called my MW but she's apparently on break and not calling me back for hours, so I'd love some opinions.
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I know, late term U/S are VERY unreliable measurements of birth weight. Lots of moms here have posted stoiries about OBs saying baby would be huge, inducing and then having a 7 pound, or even smaller babe.

I would say, see your mw as scheduled, and not worry unless she has concerns too.

#3 ·
MW called back and she just asked how I felt about having the u/s. Then she said that it's a good idea to go ahead and have the test. She thinks that I may be polyhydraminos - or have something wrong?! I've been fine all along and not measuring more than 1 or 2 cm's ahead at any point. I had an u/s at 20 weeks and they didn't detect anything abnormal. Very disappointed that she's not more encouraging

#4 ·
I'm sure your midwife just has the best intentions in mind. Just because you have an ultrasound doesn't mean you have to have any other interventions. It may tell you something helpful or give all involved some peace of mind. Do what YOU want and best wishes for a smooth HBAC!

#5 ·
I agree with the other posters- your MW may just be thinking of the best for you. I had a US at 41 weeks with my DD becasue my OB said she couldnt tell if she was breech... I would request that the test be done very fast as not to expose the baby to US too long- mine was about 5 seconds- but yours may be a bit longer just because they are looking for size and such.

Good luck- keep us posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.