Jack Finnegan - welcome! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my story, better late than never....

I went in to the midfive on Tuesday and they did the stretch and sweep thing to help prepare my cervix. That night I had some cramping and a bit of spotting, which they assured me was normal. The cramps continued all night and into Wednesday morning. I had a two hour appointment with my lawyer that morning, and although the cramps were mildly uncomfortable, I was sure it was from the stretch and sweep. Still, I called my midwife when I got home and she said to have a bath and see if that helped.

BAM! The moment I got out of the tub, I started having contractions that were unmistakable. I think I was in denial - with my first labour I had total back labour and I didn't know what an abdominal contraction even felt like. The contractions were two minutes apart (this was at 2 pm) and they stayed that far apart the whole time, just got more intense. As my partner and I are estranged, I was going to do labour by myself - what a mistake! The moment it got intense I called my sister in law and a friend, and they helped me through the whole thing. Women are AMAZING.

Anyway, I called the midwife at about 8 pm, she was there by 8:30 and we went immediately to the hospital. Got there about 9, to the room about 9:15 and had the baby at 9:40. It felt FANTASTIC! only about 4 pushes, strongly motivated by the OB on call (very anti-VBAC and very negative about my chances of a succesful VBAC) who was on his way down the hall as I was pushing. He walked in seconds after I delivered - what timing!

The baby was so beautiful and I felt so wonderful and empowered - I CAN deliver a baby! 8lb 4oz of serene baby boy - he's up to 9lb 8oz less than two weeks later! Calvin thinks he's wonderful and I am so pleased.

Congrats to all the other mamas - I have to catch up on all the stories when I have more time...
#2 of 5 Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 AM

Good for you, Lise!! Sounds like it went fantastically well, and way to show that OB what our bodies are capable of!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#3 of 5 Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 AM

Congratulations powerful mama, I'm glad it went so well. i like the name as well
#4 of 5 Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM

: Jack!

Sounds like you had a wonderful, empowering birth!!!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#5 of 5 Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats- and welcome Jack!
I just love all these babies we have around here

I am glad you have had a powerful birth- It is amazing to feel like "yes my body can do this!" empowering!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page