UC Anyone? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth... so probably not all that much.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#32 of 39 Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM

It makes a lot of sense to me, Pam. I think it applies to what I said about having a midwife waiting in the other room. Her very presence would lead to interventions- I'd most likely ASK for them! If labor were long or especially difficult, I'd ask her to check me, all the while knowing that it makes little difference. I might listen to her suggestion that I try a certain position, even if my body was telling me to use another. And knowing myself, I'd feel like I was on the clock- the whole time she was sitting in my living room, I'd be thinking how I was taking her away from her family and other things she could be doing. :LOL It would make me feel very self-conscious, and I imagine my labor would not progress very well.

My labor was fast and went very well with Lula's birth. I really wanted my midwife's support. Part of that is because I didn't feel supported by my husband through the whole pregnancy. I had no trust in him or myself, as it was my first birth. This time I have an unbelievably supportive partner so that is not an issue.

Quote:
What a compliment it is to my practice when clients feel empowered enough to go UC with their next birth. Isn't that, after all, the goal of having a midwife? Empowerment? Assuming responsibility for your birth?
That birth and that midwife did empower me and did prompt me to assume more responsibility. I think she would be proud of me for what I've learned and the way I feel today.

By the way, I wish you'd been around last week during this thread! I think your point of view would have been useful!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#33 of 39 Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 PM

Why Some Women Don't Want Midwives At Thier Births by Laura Shanley

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/whynotmidwives.htm
#34 of 39 Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM

I'm due in April or May (not sure of dates and I won't be finding out...)

I've had one UC (March 2003) and I look forward to the next one next year. I'm glad to be in such powerful company.
#35 of 39 Old 09-10-2004, 01:07 AM

pamamidwife, 2 wouldnt you like to come stay in california for a bit in april and deliver MY baby?
#36 of 39 Old 09-10-2004, 03:40 AM

#37 of 39 Old 09-16-2004, 02:02 PM

chiming in as someone else who is due in april 05 and as an ob--
i just read thru this thread and the one kristi (lulus mom) referred to.
i have no problem with someone who wants to uc if she is willing to educate herself, check her bps etc and understand what to look for in labor as far as when she might need to transfer.
i do mind when somebody transfers and i am trying to help her and her baby and she is giving me the evil eye because she feels so negatively about "sOBs". it makes it hard to communicate.
i am more comfortable with someone uc'ing who has had her first baby already and didn't have preeclampsia (more common with first babies) or preterm delivery. having those things before puts you at higher risk of having them again. however even someone with a first baby as long as she was checking her bp would be ok with me. (not that she would be asking my permission anyway!)
i have had a pt deliver her first baby into my arms with undiagnosed transposition of the great arteries. she had had 2 ultrasounds and it wasn't seen. the baby died after 45 minutes of me and the pediatrician trying to resuscitate him. she honored me by letting me assist her in her second birth. my point being that bad things can happen no matter where you are.
anyway, i also felt people were being hard on humanbeing in the above referenced thread. yes i think the uc'ers on mdc are not the uc'ers she has seen, and i saw where she repeatedly stated she supported uc'ers who educated themselves on the risks and benefits (which would be the uc'ers here imo). i have seen uc'ers who have not really educated themselves on the topic and just didn't really like going to midwives or docs but didn't really follow thru on their own prenatal care - i think these are the people she may have seen also.
oh well just my opinion- i am going to look at the cbirth thing here in a minute and see what kind of experiences they have had.
btw i have my own birth issues to discuss and ask opinions on... but that will need its own thread!
#38 of 39 Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 AM

bump.
#39 of 39 Old 12-01-2004, 03:53 PM

This is my first, so not really knowing the ropes or what to expect or how my body will handle it, I've chosen to have a midwife attend my homebirth. She knows she is secondary to my husband when it comes to supporting me and the baby and will only be there in case we need help. Depending on how things go and if we decide to have another child, it will most likely be UC.

xoxoxoxoxo

Beth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page