Morning Sickness-- Timing Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I recall, when I was pg with dd (3.5 years ago!), my m/s was worst right around now (7-8 weeks). I don't have a journal or anything to refer to, but I know I got pregnant right around Thanksgiving and was horribly sick on New Year's Eve and around there-- just glancing at my calendar, that would have been about 7.5 weeks. I also remember that the last time I threw up was at 14 weeks, but that my m/s was significantly better for a long time before then.

So my question really is: is this the worst of it? I was super-sick over the weekend and off and on this week... am I being silly to think it might get (a little) better from here? I'm not asking for full recovery, just a few normal meals. What do you think?

Second or more-time mamas-- do you remember the timing of your m/s?
#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 05:29 PM

I'm probably not the "norm" but my MS started at 6weeks with my son and gradually got worse until 13w0d and it went away overnight. It was very weird. I think everyone is different. I'm 6w3d now and I feel like it is not as bad as with my first at 6 weeks. It's icky but livable this time.

Hoping it's going away for you.
#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ew, yuck! Although going away overnight is nice...

I googled "morning sickness peak" and found at least a couple of sources that said HcG levels, and therefore- for many women- m/s, peak at weeks 8-9, though the symptoms continue through 12-14 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that the peak is here or near.

Oh- I also talked to my mom who said she remembered one day in particular when she was pg with me when she threw up every 20 minutes all day! Bless any of you who are going through that!
#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 PM

I got morning sickness at around 8 weeks with DD. It stopped at 12 weeks, but my mom took me to Mexico . . .I told her it was the magic cure and that she'd have to do that with every pregnancy!

So, if yours doesn't stop "on time," pack up for Mexico!

Mine hasn't really started yet-- a wave of nausea here and there, that's it. It makes me nervous even though that's how it was with DD, since I am only 5 weeks now.

But geeze, my stomach decided to stick out! I don't "show" to anyone but myself . . .it just seems like 5 weeks is crazy-early to have ANY bodily change.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#5 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 PM

With my dd my ms started at about 6 weeks & got worse & worse until about 12-13 weeks (my sickest day was Thanksgiving I was just so qeasy I couldn't eat a thing except Sprite). For the next month I didn't have any appetite (which is what's happening to me right now). On Xmas day (i was 16w) I ate bread & butter for my holiday meal, LOL.
#6 of 12 Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 PM

This is exactly what I have been wondering. I started getting dizzy easily at 6 weeks when watching things move in circles and now I'm queasy all day long. I've been eating graham crackers and tomato soup with cheese, melon and grapes for the last few days. Today we made a quadruple batch of chili for freezing and I was okay while making it, but now the smell is making me feel horrible. Luckily, my stomach feels pukey, but I don't think I would really throw up -- at least not yet.
#7 of 12 Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I feel... scarily better. Anyone know how B6 works? I didn't try it last time, but I started taking it on Sunday or Monday. Does it take a while to start working? My stomach is making all sorts of ungodly noises, but I feel... ok. I've been taking 50 mg before bed and 25 mg during the day sometime.
#8 of 12 Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm at 7 weeks and my MS is noticeably worse. Feeling of nausea and wanting to throw up, but can't is such a drag. I tried using the Sea-Band (accupressure bands) over the weekend and it did wonders. The nausea was relieved within minutes, so I'm going to wear them everyday now until the MS period passes.

If you're experiencing bad MS and nausea, give the Sea-Band a try. They're inexpensive and they work within minutes. You can find them at almost every pharmacy and most supermarkets.

The Sea-Bands are good for both morning sickness and travel sickness. There are no drugs, no side effects, only a gentle pressure on each wrist.

Hope this info helps some of you.....
#9 of 12 Old 08-30-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Funny you should mention them-- I've been wearing wristbands for about a week now (though when I looked down to check, I'd forgotten them this morning-- the only time I take them off is to shower). The first day I wore them, they were miraculous. The next day, notsomuch. The day after that-- I felt great. Other days, a mixed bag. So I don't know what to think about them! I'm glad they seem to be doing the trick for you.

Has anyone else lost weight yet? I think I'm down 3 or 4 lbs. If I had the energy to do anything other than sit around all day, I think it would be more. My dd is elated-- she saw more tv this weekend than she probably ever has in her life. We watched Sound of Music three times!
#10 of 12 Old 08-30-2004, 07:29 PM

My m/s started around 6 weeks, and is still here at almost 11 weeks, tho a little better. I too made a triple batch of chili around 7w, but couldn't eat any b/c the smell made me sick. I thought I had all the key m/s remedies figured out for myself, but then it up and changed on me!

Due to my lack of appetite and m/s, I've lost about 10lbs. in the last 3 weeks. With my 1st pg, I lost around 10-15lbs. during my first trimester, so it seems to be normal for me. I think the weight loss has helped disguise my soon-to-be-emerging tummy.

Best of luck with everyone's m/s! There is an end to it soon and you're not alone!
#11 of 12 Old 08-31-2004, 10:44 AM

Yuck! I puked out my dinner for the first time last night at 7 1/2 weeks. I hope this doesn't become a norm. I'm very petite so I cannot afford to loose any weight.

After each meal, my stomach would immediately swell up like a balloon from gas and bloating, so I am afraid to eat. After last nights episode, just the look and smell of food makes me want to gag. I can't wait for m/s to go away after the first trimester. Please let there be a light at the end of the tunnel!
#12 of 12 Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM

I have heaved twice after meals- but no more- so hopefully it won't be a trend for you Kattie. And my belly is like a bowlling ball every time I eat! I can't stand it! I drink gallons of water, eat tons of fiber, excersise an hour a day. Ugh. Maybe I should stop taking my calcium supplements. Being petite as well, I am not as worried about not gaining weight as I am about tipping over if my belly sticks out this far at nine weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page