Name vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my SIL and I get pregnant around the same time with children #1. I tell her good-naturedly, "if we have a boy, his name is going to be Max, so you can't have that name!" She miscarries and ends up adopting a girl from China, who is arriving next spring. Meanwhile, we have a girl, name her Katie. They adopt dog #3, and name him.... Max! Now I'm pregnant again, and if we have a boy, he gets the same name as one of the family dogs.

Okay, done venting.
#2 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 09:25 AM

Grrrr... That really is a bit inconsiderate. You should just refuse to call the dog Max. Call him Fluffy or something.

My DH's parents were going to name their dog after me. Strange compliment. DH finally convinced them not to because of how awkward it would be to yell my name and then "Stop peeing on the floor!" or some such doggie thing.
#3 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 02:00 PM

:
OH!!! I would be soooooooooo upset!!! Have you asked them what they were thinking? I seriously doubt I'd ever, EVER forget a name my family member told me they would use, but maybe there's a slim chance that she figured since you had a girl, you didn't use that name, not considering you'd have a boy next time perhaps and still want to use the name Max?

Or do you think she has a little bit of hostility since she miscarried and you didn't? If so, that's some major passive agressive behavior!

If I were you, I'd try talking to her (or maybe your brother) and see if they will considering changing the dog's name. How long has the dog had this name? ...Cause you know if you use the name Max and the dog is still named Max, then everyone will say, "You mean like SIL's dog???"

Oooohhh, now here's an idea! What if you stay with your plans of Max, name the baby Max, and when people ask you why you named your baby Max since their dog is named Max, you can say (without sounding like you're holding a grudge) "Max was a name we had picked out before Katie was born, if we had a boy. I'm not sure why they named their dog Max; SIL knew that was the name I would use for a boy." And theeeeeennn maybe someone else will suggest she change the dog's name. Or maybe the family will start a new name for the dog. like Cracks the dog. :LOL It rhymes, the dog wouldn't konw the difference. Jax, SOMETHING!! Just not Max!!!
#4 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 02:03 PM

Even if you did the scenario in paragraph 4 of my last post, I don't think it'd be a problem even if you sounded upset. Nothing wrong with how you feel about her insensitivity!!!
#5 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, littlebeagle, that's probably what will happen, because we're still gonna name him Max! I doubt they will change the dog's name, either. They only live 5 minutes away, but even so, we don't see them very often.
#6 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 PM

My sister did that. We liked Aidan when I was pregnant with ds, but decided against it and maybe for the next one. Now she is due any day and going to name her son Aden. Grr....

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#7 of 9 Old 09-01-2004, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
My sister did that. We liked Aidan when I was pregnant with ds, but decided against it and maybe for the next one. Now she is due any day and going to name her son Aden. Grr....
Aidan is in the top 10 of most popular names . . .so you'd run into a lot of them anyway!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#8 of 9 Old 09-01-2004, 12:35 AM

I have a friend whose daughter died 2 weeks after birth. Let's say her name was "Katrinka" (it wasn't). The next semester her older son's teacher announced to the class that she had gotten a new puppy and named it "Katrinka" because she liked the name so much. TACKY!!!!!!!
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#9 of 9 Old 09-10-2004, 12:03 AM

Well, the name situation is puky...but, hey...you have a really cool blog so, life is good!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page