12 week doc visit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went in this morning and they were unable to find the baby's heartbeat by Doppler. They got me in for an ultrasound 30 minutes later and there it was, beating at 150 I think. According to the u/s I am 12 weeks 3 days. Very nice of the doctor to make sure everything was OK. He didn't even charge me for the u/s. He said the baby's heartbeat was behind my pelvic bone. Should I be concerned that the baby is still behind my pelvic bone? Does this mean the baby will be breeched? Has a weak heart? Don't think I am flipping out, this is my first pregnancy.
#2 of 5 Old 09-17-2004, 03:35 PM

No worries at all! If the baby was behind the bone, it was just harder for the sound waves from the doppler to find it. Once your uterus grows more, and is mostly above the pubic bone (right now, it's probably about half and half), you shouldn't have that problem. It has nothing at all with how strong your baby's heart is-- if the u/s showed it beating, you're good to go.

It also has nothing to do with being breech. And time goes on, you'll begin to feel your baby moving around and doing somersaults! Birth position isn't determined until much later in pregnancy-- even babies that are breach as late as 38 weeks or so sometimes turn.

Congratulations on seeing your healthy baby!
#3 of 5 Old 09-17-2004, 05:24 PM

what stream said.

also, with my last pg the midwife couldn't get a heartbeat at 11.5 weeks so they rolled in the u/s "to be sure" and everything was ok.

just yesterday i had an appt at 11.5 weeks, expected the same thing to happen, and she got a faint heartbeat just fine!
#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 AM

ditto what stream said!
#5 of 5 Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 PM

Hi Strongmom- I had an US on Wednesday and also came in at 12 wks and 2 days! The baby was flipping all around- and the tech said that although she couldn't be sure- she thought she saw some boy parts.

My US was done b/c I am 35 and it was part of the tests we decided to go with- I think it is called "first screen," a blood test and an US to measure the naschal (sp) fold (Baby's neck!) to determine risk of downs and other px's, hopefully it will all come back good and I won't have to consider CVS or Amnio.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page