can I eat...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2004, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard rumors that if a mother to be ate peanuts or peanut butter then the baby could become alergic to peanuts?

Also if someone brought in a deli tray of cold cuts to work, is there any risk of getting lysterosis? I told my coworkers that I couldn't have any and they all said that I was crazy. I read this several times. The meat sat out for a few hours was wondering if that increases the chance of getting lysterosis or if lysterosis gets into the meat when it is processed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 11:18 PM

I don't think there is any risk of eating peanuts and giving your child an allergy. My sister is a nutrionist so I will check with her.

In terms of deli meat you shouldn't eat it. Not because of lysterosis but because of the nitrate content. Nitrates inhibit the red blood cells ability to carry oxygen and they are big NO NO when pregnant. It really limits the "deli sandwiches" you can eat during pregnancy because between that and tuna you just can't win and have either! Of course if you are home there are lots of yummy sandwich alternatives......
Old 09-18-2004, 11:33 PM

My DD is allergic to peanuts. Yes, I ate peanut butter while pregnant. But, not very much...I really do not believe that caused her allergy. Allergies are hereditary, so I feel that's the reason for hers. I have done my homework, and there is no scientific proof that eating peanuts during pregnancy causes allergies Good luck!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:05 AM

I read an article in Readers Digest very recently about deli meats and hot dogs. It said to cook them if youre going to eat them or else you could, though rare, get lysterosis.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:56 AM

As far as peanuts, I know there is *some* scientific evidence of a link between the mother's diet and baby's allergies. However, from my reading in my first pregnancy, I think they are not completely sure whether it's primarily due to diet during pregnancy or during nursing (since peanut protein is transferred through milk). I know that in Britain, where they have a very high occurance of peanut allergies, there has been a public health campaign to discourage moms from eating peanuts during pregnancy. From my reading, though, it is not really an issue unless you have a family history of nut allergies---in that case, I would probably avoid them.

On deli meats, I agree with the previous poster about the nitrate issue.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Unless your family has a history of sever allergies, you should be fine eating peanuts or peanut butter. If you, DH, or a close relative has had a problem with any of the common allergies, some research suggests that you should avoid those (wheat, eggs, peanuts, etc.) during pregnancy. We have no history of allergies and I've been encouraged to eat peanut butter as a good source of protein.

There is a significant risk of lysteria infection in lunchmeats. However, by heating the meat through, you can kill the listeria and it's perfectly safe to eat (putting aside the nitrate issue-- that's your own decision to make). If you have a microwave at work, heat the meat for 30 seconds and, from a health care provider perspective, it will be safe to eat.

Some other common foods you may want to avoid are tuna and predatory fish (for mercury content), alfalfa sprouts (also for food-bourne illness concerns), and of course anything with alcohol or excess caffeine. Take it all in stride, though-- a little "forbidden fruit" now and then likely won't be terrible for you or the baby, but moderation is key!

User Tag List