what are you all eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-19-2004, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, i know some of us are pretty well past the ms, since i am not due until very late april, but what have you found you can pretty reliably choke down? i am just getting into a stage where i can consider eating much at all, and i am trying to figure out what works and what doesnt. how are you doing with food? what are your cravings?
#2 of 14 Old 09-20-2004, 11:23 AM

let's see. even though i haven't had full-on ms i've been very queasy a lot. certain foods definitely put me off until about two weeks ago.

i've been getting cravings that won't go away until i eat whatever it is i'm craving. one week it was sushi so i had some california rolls. now the thought of them sounds awful. one week it was hummus. ate it. now i don't want it. taco bell. thin crust pizza. crave it, eat it, don't want it anymore...at all!!

i also want a lot of fresh fruits and raw veggies. oh, and pickles. but the clausen kind only.
#3 of 14 Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I put myself back on the Brewer diet as I learned in the Bradley childbirth classes. High protein, salt to taste and good veggies and milk. Yummy. I have some trouble getting in all the protein everyday so I have changed my snacks to ones that also contain protein. It has always worked for me. Moderate weight gain and no complications.
#4 of 14 Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 PM

I have always loved pickles, but thought it was funny when I ate one a few weeks ago and it tasted awful to me!

Never used to salt my food but find that I'm adding salt to things more often. And eating a yogurt every morning for breakfast...yummm

Philomom, where could I find more information about the Brewer Diet?
#5 of 14 Old 09-21-2004, 02:53 PM

Brewer's Diet can be found here:
http://blueribbonbaby.org/ifyouarepr...oduction.shtml
(read intro, click next, next, etc to get to the actual diet.)

There has also been a recent post about this diet here on MDC.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=193176

#6 of 14 Old 09-21-2004, 07:37 PM

I loved my Bradley diet - never knew it had a name! Thanks for the links. I was on the verge of contacting my bradley instructor to ask for a copy. Unfortunately, I'm still not eating much at all. I'm starting to get a little worried about my weight loss, but at 9+ weeks am hoping for a turn-around shortly. Otherwise, it's been all starches on my end : macaroni n cheese, mashed potatoes, a glass of chocolate milk in the morning to settle the tummy (with hershey's special dark syrup, mmmm). Really, there's very little that actually sounds good. And I looooove food so this kinda sucks. But, I'll be sure to let you know what I like when I do start to eat again!
#7 of 14 Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 PM

dairy dairy and more dairy!
#8 of 14 Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 PM

Cool, thanks for the links! I am doing probably the right amount of dairy, having yogurt and several glasses of milk a day, but not the 2 eggs a day, probably 2 eggs a week. I love them though and can probably make a mid-morning snack out of it.

Also finding that I want spicy food and it tastes good and does not bother me in the least - thank goodness! I've also been carrying "Clif Bars" in the car or my purse - they have been a lifesaver on a few occassions when I feel the need to eat NOW...you know what I mean.

I am at 10 weeks on Thursday and have gained about 4 pounds so far, gone up one size in jeans but other than that no-one has noticed.
#9 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 06:20 PM

I had tuna for lunch! I know this is bad but I couldn't help myself, it sounded so good and I'm having a hard time finding enough palatable protien.
#10 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 09:30 PM

not a whole heck of a lot. trying to stick to the brewer diet, but i am no where close to the amounts they want you to have in a day. yesterday i ate nothing until dinner, (we were at a bday party and they were grilling) and i had a hamburger, uggh. i have diarrhea (sp) today because of it. fun fun. today i ate a bowl of toasted oatmeal squares cereal, as close as i could get to oatmeal and milk today. 1 tsp of peanut butter. and then some fake cesear salad for dinner. i'm drinking tons of iced tea and water now.
#11 of 14 Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 AM

I've been trying to follow the brewer diet too...someone gave me a great link with a weekly chart for keeping track of protein. (really works for someone anal like me who likes checklists etc.) It's great. Here it is:

http://www.learntobirth.com/NutWSreg.pdf

I have to say that what with feeling sick often and too darn tired to cook often I've been having trouble. Plus I've kinda overdone it on the almonds and milk and have gone off almonds which were my protein staple.

But as energy slowly returns, I am really trying to get back into it. So far I've barely gained any weight but I have a huge belly as you can see on my little bean link below. What fun!

to all us sick mamas!
#12 of 14 Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

jesse, i am so impressed and envious of your belly. but i wont be fully satisfied until we get a side view. you know, the front view could just be some camera trick distortion.
#13 of 14 Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

oh yeah, and y'all please be careful and listen to your bodies. my SIL forced herself to do the super high protien diet they taught in bradley and ended up having a very unhealthy, painful pregnancy which was at least aggravated by the protien that was too much for her system. i imagine she's in the minority, every body is different, but please oh please do listen to your body.

myself, i ate huge huge amounts of protien when preg with dd, probably way over any recomendations, but i think i started out deficient, since i had been a vegetarian for eight years and didnt know yet that i had an enzyme deficiency that made it really difficult to absorb plant protiens. of course, i wasnt the most careful vegetarian either, so my diet was pretty lacking. anyway, i started eating meat and ate rediculous amounts of red meat, every single day with dd. it was just what i needed. this time, i can barely stomach the stuff. meat has been making me feel pretty poisoned for the most part, although there have been two occasions so far in which i have NEEDED a big steak.

everything else, seems i need it, i eat it, i cant even think of it again without wanting to barf. just like aprildawn i guess. but i am only 10 weeks now, so i know my body will get more comfy and then tell me what i need. that's it for me, i wont do any watching or counting anything, except trying to keep sugar low, as that is the place where i seem to get easily out of balance.

oh, how could i forget...REFRIGERATED GREEN APPLES. yum i could eat those forever. the yummiest foods these days are sour and cold.
#14 of 14 Old 09-29-2004, 11:02 AM

thanks for the belly compliment, Sunbaby! I do indeed have a side shot, which is sadly not as impressive, but I'll post it to that same page tonight!
My wife & I are hatching plans to enter me in a paint your belly like a Hallowe'en pumpkin contest being offered by a local spa!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page