Let's chat about first prenatal visits - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-07-2004, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been kinda slow last couple of days, and so I thought this might be fun to chat about...Have you been? What's your practicioner like? What tests did you do/order?

I just had my first full midwife visit (went for consultation several weeks ago).

After a horrible hospital birth with dd 1 I'm using a local midwife run birth center for #2

Over all it went great, the midwife seemed very competant and thourough. We did dip stick urine test, urine sample for culture and blood sample for standard workup. I'd recently had a PAP so we skipped that and the STD tests.

Baby's heart beat sounded great.

I'm not sure about my last AF though and she thought my uterus was feeling small for our best due date calculation.

I've decided to go ahead and confirm the due date with US because knowing the Due Date takes the guess work out of having to be transfered to hospital in case of off schedule labor. They tell me that they are pretty conservative about handling "risk" situations and that not knowing makes it harder to access risk. She tells me that she could tell DD pretty well from other measurements but prefers to take advantage of widest range of diagnostic tools available.

The US has to be ordered by a Dr and requires a visit with a local family Dr so I'm kind of bummed about the extra hassle but I'm glad to meet the person who would be most likely to be my BU caregiver should the PG turn risky.
#2 of 27 Old 10-07-2004, 07:04 PM

Cool thread idea!

Right now, I'm a little undecided about the direction of this birth. While I had a wonderfully supportive, no problems natural hospital birth with my ds, I am very interested in hb and water birth. Because my hospital does not allow birthing in the water, which I would like to have as an available option, I am very seriously considering hb. Further, because my current ob/gyn practice does not attend or support hb, I think it's kind of silly to continue going there if there's no possibility of one of them attending a hb. And then there's the issue of convincing my dp that hb is a safe and viable option for US (he supports the concept in general, but battles with the fear that something might happen). Also looked at a natural birth center, but it is at least an hour's drive (more if during commute hours) and with my relatively short first labor, I dunno if I'd make it to the birth center in time!

With that said, I have been to my first two appts: once for an ultrasound at 6w6d, and once for a first prenatal routine checkup and physical. I loved loved loved the CNM that I saw for the prenatal checkup. She attended hb before coming to this practice and I got a totally cool vibe from her. She has offered to recommend a hb CNM though. I'll take her up on her offer...

I'm supposed to do some bloodwork soon, but not sure if I wanna do it. Will do an u/s around 20 weeks and hope to find out the sex of the little babe. Other than that, no other tests are planned. Hoping this will be a nice, smooth pg just like the last one!
#3 of 27 Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 PM

i saw my OB last monday for my first appt. she delivered my second DD, but i didn't meet her until the end of my pregnancy. she is nice, young and laid back . we listened for the heartbeat and she noted that i am much bigger than i should be. i'm 13 weeks now and measuring closer to 19 or so. we are getting an U/S next thurs to rule out fibroids and twins.

other than that. not much to report. i am not getting any more tests unless i HAVE to have them. we're just going with the flow. OH, my DH said if we are having twins we are moving back up north so that we are closer to our families. that makes me happy because if we're having twins i don't want to deliver in FL no matter what. i want to be somewhere that can provide excellant care if i were to deliver early and i know that wouldn't happen in the panhandle of florida LOL.
#4 of 27 Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM

Well, i've been for several visits already, and am seeing my OB/GYN that I've been going to for years. He's is a small practice, basically him and his wife are the two docs and they have a great staff of CNMs, etc. He is very easy to relate to and makes me feel very at ease, I can totally imagine that he will be great at delivery, very calm but also focused on the "task at hand". Since I will be 41 years old at delivery and this is my first, we are going for the "traditional" hospital birth route, we are more comfortable with that.

I've had a couple of ultrasounds so far, another one yesterday at 12 weeks shows everything looking great! My blood pressure was LOWER than normal, which was good because yesterday was a particularly busy and stressful day, lots of running around, etc. Also did bloodwork which came out great, a little bit anemic so i'm going to try to increase my iron intake through foods...any suggestions? Being born and raised in the south, I was thrilled to find out that GRITS have a lot of iron, at least the Quaker Instant Packaged ones do! They are a quick and easy snack between meals...mmmmmm

On an unrelated note, I'm thrilled that my sister is coming for a visit tomorrow from NC. The interesting thing is that after getting out of 25 years of a bad marriage, she has reunited with her high school boyfriend and they are coming together. He was like a big brother to me growing up, and I've not seen him since I was 11 years old. Looking forward to giving him a big and welcoming him back to the family.
#5 of 27 Old 10-08-2004, 03:08 PM

Great thread!
I just had my 1st full midwife visit too.I'm 12 weeks now...but we couldn't hear the baby's heart beat.So she'll swings back to see me next week just to checkout that out.
We planned a homebirth with DS#1 but end up in the hospital.
Very smooth homebirth with DS#2.And we're planning a homebirth for this baby as well.With a same widwife.DH and I are get along great with this MF.She's very experienced and on the ball.
I lost a bit of weight for the last few weeks.But now I feel much much better and start to eat more.
#6 of 27 Old 10-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Good idea! I've had 3 visits so far in addition to my first introductory one. We did an u/s at the first real one at 8w2d (I m/c'ed earlier this year). At 10w2d and 14w6d (today!) we heard the heart beat by Doppler and today we even heard the baby kick on the Doppler! I really love my OB. The entire all-female practice emphasizes natural birth and my OB and another one there are the backup doctors for the local birthing center. At my first appointment I asked her several questions about natural birth stuff like inducing me if I was late and she just gave the best answers and she is so laid back it really relaxes me about the whole process. She was pregnant not that long ago and she has the most beautiful body pictures throughout the office done in black and white. Even my dh, who is normally very conservative and modest, thought they were tasteful and beautiful. Oh, and we got to see a little newborn today at the office! Dh wants to come to every appt - he is real into being involved and gets very emotional every time we hear the heartbeat. I also love that my doctor doesn't make me change into a gown but just has me unbutton my pants and roll down the waist and undies a little to use the Doppler.
#7 of 27 Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, mamas what a great group we are. I think it's fascinating to see such diversity in approaches to "natural" pregnancy and childbirth.
#8 of 27 Old 10-10-2004, 09:24 PM

Well, I have been to three visits at the OB now, at the first I did bloodwork and at the second we had an US, 9 wks I think. Each time I give a urine sample and they chack my blood pressure, etc.

We have seen two of the three doctors at the practice. I don't really have much of a feel for either of them really, they answer questions, but no warm fuzzy feeling or anything. I actually got the number of a couple lical midwives off of the internet last week, although I haven't called. I guess I am kind of waiting to see how the third doctor is next time I go, you get the doctor who is in the office on the day of the week you go- so if we really like her we can can always go on Mondays. That won't guarantee she wil be there for the delivery.

I kind of don't care that I don't especially like the docs- I read books, I am reading here constantly, read Mothering, have close friends I ask things, and plan to have a doula with me at the birth (in the hospital). Am I crazy? This is my first birth- seems like everyone is so into their MD or MW- should I be more worried?
#9 of 27 Old 10-11-2004, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyAnne
I kind of don't care that I don't especially like the docs- I read books, I am reading here constantly, read Mothering, have close friends I ask things, and plan to have a doula with me at the birth (in the hospital). Am I crazy? This is my first birth- seems like everyone is so into their MD or MW- should I be more worried?
I think it will definately help to have a doula at the hospital with you but even but also important to have a comfortable dialog with your practctioner. Visualize yourself telling each of these of these Dr.s "No, I don't want to do that" or "Why is this nescessary?" Also visualize yourself feeling like something is wrong between visits and wanting to contact one of them.

If imagining yourself doing any of these things makes you feel even the tiniest bit uncomfortable then I would suggest continuing to shop for someone you feel more comfortable with.

My experience is that it's far harder to question athority in the presense of an IRL Dr. than from one's computer chair.
#10 of 27 Old 10-11-2004, 11:54 AM

I just had my first appointment on Friday. I was really nervous because we just moved to this town and i don't know any of the docs and can't find a midwife or doula. The doc I had seemed nice but I wish he was a female. One of the things that bothered me was that he wants an IV in as soon as I get to the hospital "just in case" basically for insurance purposes. I don't have to be hooked to anything but he just wants it in there. YUCK! I hate IVs and certainly don't want to be stuck in the hand while I"m in labor. DOes anyone else face this? I didn't need this with my first hospital birth.
#11 of 27 Old 10-11-2004, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all!

I had my second appt last week. Everything was great and we heard the baby's heartbeat (150). My first appt was at 7 weeks to check for dates. I was bf and had only 1 ppaf, so had no idea where on my cycle I was. We had an us and got to see the baby for that one .

I go to an OB practice and really like them. There are 2 male doctors and they have each delivered one of my girls. I will have a c-section , which I am sad about, but realize that is the best option for our family. We live in a very rural area (over an hour to the town and docs I go to) and to get to a doctor/birth center that will "allow" VBACs is 2-3 hours in the opposite direction and away from dh's work and our families.

I will have an ultrasound on Nov 9th at 19 weeks. The office is testing a new 4-d machine for that week and I will get my ultrasound on it! I am so excited, have you seen the pictures from these? They look like a real baby, not the grainy us pictures we are used to.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#12 of 27 Old 10-12-2004, 08:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm going for my third appointment this Thursday. I love my naturopath, who is my regular doctor and also a certified midwife. It's great to already know and trust her.

My husband and I are planning a home waterbirth, and he's been going to appointments with me. Very different than any typical doctor's visit we've experienced in the past. I never feel like an object. It's very low key and conversational, and absolutely no unnecessary exams or tests are performed. She's very supportive of our wishes and always prepared with information when we have a question.

The best part is just her confidence in my ability to birth and her approach that birth is generally a natural, healthy process. So far it's been a very positive experience!

Julie
#13 of 27 Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM

i haven't had an official visit yet. i had an ultrasound for nuchal translucency yesterday (normal) at my dh's office and that's it so far. i am going to see one of my partners for prenatal care with a consult from my dh's office (high risk pg drs) secondary to my history of pprom at 32 wks, classical cs and hypothyroidism, as well as being over 35 i guess though i don't think of that as high risk. i am getting a repeat cs since my uterine incision extended from a low vertical to a classical, the rupture rate is around 5 % and i am not willing to risk that for myself- i am not willing to risk the pg for an amnio etc so i definitely feel the risk is too high for me with vbac. now if i had had a normal cs like i wanted then for sure i would be vbacing! anyway i will prob get my first visit next week sometime.
#14 of 27 Old 10-12-2004, 12:21 PM

i went in for my 3rd appt yesterday. it was, by far, the best and most reassuring appt yet. we're seeing a new doctor this time, and though she has a good reputation, i've had some concerns about her approach to certain things.

the practice i went to with dd let their midwives go, and our insurance won't pay for anything out of network so the local birthing center and homebirth are not an option for us this time for financial reasons.

anyway, we've heard the hb the last 2 appointments and she didn't give me any trouble about opting out of some of the genetic testing.

my blood pressure continues to be high at my doctor visits. but i've been tracking it at home and it's normal. i showed her the sheet i've been keeping track on and she copied it for my chart and told me the high reading at her office is due to nerves and traffic, etc. phew!! because when it was high last time she brought up the words "bed rest" and "induction"!!!!!
#15 of 27 Old 10-14-2004, 03:29 PM

had my first visit to the midwife three weeks ago, at 9 weeks past lmp. we heard a heartbeat! it was so strong and so early in the pregnancy that i really felt that this baby is gonna stick, and also that he or she was already living up to her taurus reputation. the midwife who delivered dd is the greatest, but she is on maternity leave and may or may not be avaliable to deliver #2, so for the time being i am seeing the midwife who owns the practice. i am planning a homebirth, but may have to deliver at the miwifes office, as insurance policies are screwey right now in our area. midiwfe knows my wishes and will do her best to accomodate me, and at least i wont have to deliver in a hospital, which i am very afraid of (unless of course, there was some medical reason, in which case i would be glad to have the option.). i am definately going to be in water during labor, it absolutely saved me the last time, since i was squatting for six hours straight. dont think i could have done it w/o having been in the *aqua doula*.

these midwives did such an awesome job taking care of me when i had dd and are so respectful and careful and competent, that i dont think i could be any happier. i have never met a better listener than the midwife who delivered dd, and when i ran into her three years later, she remembered some itty bitty details about me that made me feel so much that i really mattered to her. and yet she is assertive and competent at the same time. ok, i am gonna stop now or y'all are going to think i am in love. dh does like to tease me about how excessively highly i think of this woman, but geeze, she helped me bring dd into the world, and helped it be a better experience than i ever dreamed. how else am i gonna feel?
#16 of 27 Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyAnne
I don't know how much it matters that you don't especially like them. What matters is that you need to talk to them now about what you want in your birth and find out how that meshes with how they handle birth. No matter how informed you are you are vulnerable during birth and it will not be fun or easy to have the birth you want if you're having to fight them at every turn. With my DD I switched from an OB to midwives around 12 weeks when I realized that her idea of natural and mine were two very different things. My birth with DD did not go entirely as I wanted in large part because I ended up with an oncall midwife I'd never met before but I know it would have been worse if I had stuck with my original OB.

I've had two appointments so far. The first was at 8w5d and was just the history appointment. I talked about a lot of my concerns. I've already had three large babies (first two when I was a teenager that I placed for adoption) and with DD there was a lot of stress surrounding that. I feel my care was very mismanaged when I got to the hospital becuase they were being very proactive trying to prevent problems and assuming there would be problems rather than just letting things run their course as normally as possible. Thank goodness I labored until 8cm at home or I don't even want to think about what I would have ended up with! Anyway I'm going with a new practice this time where one of my three midwives will deliver me. So no fear of being confronted with a stranger in the delivery room. I was very comfortable with her answers and her manner. We did the typical blood tests and urine culture which revealed a totally asymptomatic bladder infection.

Then at 12w5d I had my physical appointment. We found the heartbeat with no problem. I also had a pap and chlammidia (sp?) test since I want to refuse the eye drops and will need proof of my negative status. Everything seemed fine. We also discussed some issues I forgot to ask about at the first appointment. They have a really low c-section rate which is great and a good approach to going "overdue" and breech but I was less than thrilled to discover if I'm having twins I'll have to transfer to the OBs. In that case I'd probably find a new practice. Otherwise I'll be having my u/s at 19 weeks and the GTT but nothing else. I was really happy with my natural labor last time but displeased with how my birth was sort of hijacked from me and my baby so hopefully we've found a team that will avoid that this time.
#17 of 27 Old 10-15-2004, 04:08 PM

Oh and Dana at almost 13 weeks I was also measuring almost 18 weeks (about an inch below my navel). My midwife didn't even really comment on it because she knows my history but I think it's worth mentioning that those measurements aren't particularly accurate at any point (I measured 46 weeks at 38 weeks with DD) but particularly not before 15-22 weeks depending on what source you're asking. I hope everything's ok with you but I really suspect your uterus is just growing more quickly since this isn't your first. They always have me do the regular u/s on the early side to rule out twins and I always have a baby that's measuring right on for dates. They do get bigger later but my uterus just pops up more and more quickly with each pregnancy.
#18 of 27 Old 10-16-2004, 12:14 AM

wasabi-- thanks i have been concerned because with both of my girls i was measuring on time and not showing until almost 4-5 mo. and this time i was showing at 6 weeks, and completely in maternity clothes. i guess i just can't get over the fact that i go from being a normal pg person and having my uterus grow at a normal rate for pg #1 and #2, to being a mutant uterus growing person with pg #3. i went from showing at about 4-5 mo all the way to 6 weeks!!!!!!! i think that is alarming.
i am 14 weeks and i am looking about 5 mo pg. i should post a pic.

it's really uncomfortable already. i can't eat much so i am not gaining, infact i think i've lost weight. i can't sleep at night, and emotionally it's really depressing to be so big and know that the baby is only about 3in long and i still have 6.5 mo to go. i mean in the past when i was this big i was about 20-24 weeks and the babe was moving and things were good. this time i'm just HUGE and really really sad about that. and the knowledge that i am going to get bigger and bigger and bigger is just so depressing i can't even tell you. my belly button is already flat and i'm not even feeling the baby move yet.
#19 of 27 Old 10-16-2004, 04:08 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first visit to the pregnancy board since finding out I'm expecting my 2nd baby 1st April.

I've had 2 midwife visits so far and my next is on Monday. My first one was at 6wks when she just took details, explained how things work (although I've used their midwife group for my first birth) and got my form to gets my bloods done.

Here in NZ using a midwifery service is pretty much the standard practice for childbirth and costs are covered by the state - most midwifes will do a hospital or homebirth depending on what you want or based on risk. My midwife fully supports a natural birth supplemented with homeopathy if requested. I chose to use the local birthing unit which is not set up for emergency births, and have decided to do the same again - a new unit has been built since I had my son 18mths ago - so will get to check out their cool new birthing pool and facilities.

We got a good strong heartbeat at my 12wk visit which was great. I've just started to feel flutterings of the baby move. Looking forward to my next visit and I will get my form for the 19wk scan which is only 3 wks away!

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#20 of 27 Old 10-16-2004, 11:06 PM

We saw the hb mw for an initial interview at 10wks. Heard the baby's heartbeat then, but otherwise it was just informational. Had my first real appt at 12wks, did urine dip-test, blood pressure, weight and heard the heartbeat again (cute cute cute!).

I've had two c-sections (2nd an attempted VBAC) and am going for HBAC this time.

Nikki
SAHM to Angus 3/3/00 and Annabel 9/23/02. EDD 4/15/05.
#21 of 27 Old 10-16-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex
wasabi-- thanks i have been concerned because with both of my girls i was measuring on time and not showing until almost 4-5 mo. and this time i was showing at 6 weeks, and completely in maternity clothes. i guess i just can't get over the fact that i go from being a normal pg person and having my uterus grow at a normal rate for pg #1 and #2, to being a mutant uterus growing person with pg #3. i went from showing at about 4-5 mo all the way to 6 weeks!!!!!!! i think that is alarming.
You know I was actually reading an article the other day that gave a "famous quote" that you could have 1 child or 2 kids or even 4 but never have three because of the third pregnancy being so weird. :LOL I can tell you that I did not show until at least 6 months with my first. My parents did not know I was pregnant until I was 6 months pg with my second (I was a teenager) and yes they probably should have known but my point is I was not in maternity clothes and I just looked pudgey. With DD I was in maternity clothes at 12 weeks. I am 14 weeks now and yesterday a woman I do not know asked me when I was due so I can relate to how you're feeling. I think each pg just really makes changes in your body and so each time you're going to show earlier and earlier. Plus each time your body's memory kicks in earlier and earlier and begins to relax muscles and joints so symptoms can begin earlier. Who knows maybe you are having twins. If you're really concerned about it have the u/s and see if it's twins. But try not to get too down about it.
#22 of 27 Old 10-17-2004, 06:31 PM

oh gosh i know. several people asked me yesterday when i was due and i was so embarassed. i was like, not for many many many more months. i am closer to being not pg than to being holding a new babe LOL.

here is a pic of me at 12 weeks. you can see why LOL.
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAsnLRi2ctGd6
#23 of 27 Old 10-18-2004, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

What a cute belly! Don't feel bad, I'm showing quite a bit too (I'm 13? weeks).
#24 of 27 Old 10-18-2004, 08:01 PM

I'm 15w5d and I just went to my third appt today with a cnm, whom I really like. I wish I could have her as my attending, but that's not how the practice works, unfortunately. My dh and ds came with me today. Ds was sooo cute when we were listening to the hb! He had the most inquisitive look on his face, and was beeboppin his head back and forth to the beat, like it was music. Then he started dancing! It was so adorable and the student and midwife loved it. I absolutely loved it too Made my heart all warm and fuzzy!

I'm measuring right on and the hb was at about 152 bpm. She inquired about the weight loss, but felt ok with it since the nausea was gone and my appetite was coming back. I need to remember to go get my blood drawn for the initial bloodwork that I've been procrastinating doing.

Hope everyone else is doing well too! Can you believe that most of us are in the second trimester?!?! I'm still not showing much and am kinda missing being part of the cute bellies that you all have. Thanks for sharing the photos! They're awesome!
#25 of 27 Old 10-19-2004, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crat19
I'm still not showing much and am kinda missing being part of the cute bellies that you all have. Thanks for sharing the photos! They're awesome!

hehehe you want mine LOL. i'm even bigger now at almost 15 weeks. i'd gladly send you my belly, if you send me yours LOL. it might be cute, but it's hard to deal with looking that pregnant, knowing you're not. i mean i feel no movement but i look like i'm at least 24 weeks pg. so, that gets me sad, like i should be feeling something if i'm already this big.

i wonder how much skin can stretch LOL.
#26 of 27 Old 10-19-2004, 02:16 AM

Hahaha! Let's switch our bellies for a little while! Then I'm sure we'll appreciate our own situation. I have curly hair and always wanted straight hair until I had my hair straightened (temporarily). Then I appreciated my uniqueness, and also appreciated and admired others' uniqueness. I'm passing along a warm belly rub to you!! I'll catch up with you soon, I hope!!
#27 of 27 Old 10-19-2004, 03:44 PM

omg me too about the hair. i have curly and always wanted straight, but i like my curly hair so much more than me with straight. i lost a lot of my uniqueness when my hair was straight, and people kept asking me if i was jennifer aniston, we used to resemble one another.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page