Should I be using safer chemicals to clean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-07-2004, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Once a week I go in afterhours and clean a doctors office for some extra cash. I noticed today that i was feeling a little dizzy when i wasnt properly allowing for ventilation (which has only been once) but either way i think i don't want to use the office's harsh chemicals.

any advice about what other chemicals to use? i would need something who can clean:

windows
bathrooms
toilets
hard water stains
rust
lime
counter tops
the leather tables

at the moment im using Windex, Lysol, Soft Scrub with bleach, and CLR. the CLR is what made me dizzy but two of my jobs require me to get rid of rust, lime, and hardwater stains which is what i'm having a hard time finding a natural substitute for. i've found chemicals to replace all of the others via Seventh Generation (and also vinegar and baking soda)

any suggestions?

xposted on Health forum
#2 of 4 Old 10-07-2004, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi softletters, I recognize you from babycenter.
Well you can use baking soda and vinager for just about everything.
For the rust though I have found that Bar Keepers friend is awesome. I don't think its "natural", but I'm sure its better than CLR, it dosen't have any strong smell, it basically feels like your using baking soda, and it works great.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-07-2004, 07:13 PM

baking soda and vinegar for everything here as well. no one can tell the difference and my house doesn't smell like chemicals either .
#4 of 4 Old 10-07-2004, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

awesome about the suggestions ladies. and yes im also on the babycenter board! whoo hoo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page