Stress relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do y'all have any great stress cutting strategies? I'd really like to hear how real people deal with stress. I have it coming out of my ears at work, and then some random other things (like the election) are starting to get to me a bit. I've *always* been a stress internalizer-- right now, I can feel it all in the muscles in my neck-- and I hate to think of the bad effects it could have on the baby and/or labor. Help me be healthier!
#2 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 03:44 PM

exercise -- a walk does me a world of good when i'm feeling stressed. though, sometimes having dd with me on a walk creates stress! but i know it's good for me and i always feel better after getting some exercise.

self-indulgence -- getting something decadant to eat. flipping through a brainless magazine. watching the food network or hgtv.

quiet and time alone -- sending dh and dd out on an errand or to the park can help me feel better.

hope you feel less stressed soon. i get it in my shoulders and neck too. oh, one other thing i've been practicing is breathing. i try to breathe in slowly through my nose and out my mouth. i do this when i'm upset about something, when i had ms, and over the weekend when i was sick throwing up. i definitely could feel my muscles start to relax when i'd breathe like that.
#3 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM

my saving grace is time alone, to do whatever i want. go to the grocery, to the movie rental place, get in the tub, go for a walk. anything that just involves me. i can breathe and relax, and think of what i want and not what others want. it's so nice to have alone time. unfortunately, i don't get it that often. my DH travels a lot for work, so when i stress during those times i put my kiddos to bed an hour early and then have my alone time, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. it helps. ( only i have to do it in the house LOL)
#4 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 04:33 PM

I tend to dwell on stressfull issues, I find that i have to just tell myself to "move on" and visualize myself forcing neg thoughts out of my brain.
#5 of 8 Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 PM

good thread, as I find that this is what is keeping me up at night when I get up anyway to pee. I also find that exercise is helpful, as are traditional relaxation exercises, where I lie (on my back for the time being), and focus on my breathing & relaxing different parts of my body. My yoga video is great too, even if I can only grab 10 minutes for it. Baths aren't always my most favourite thing, but my number one is a good book!! Or a good massage....but sadly my dw isn't a big massage giver....

Good luck!
#6 of 8 Old 10-26-2004, 12:59 PM

I find my yoga video helpful too (when I get a chance to use it). The relaxation section at the end is worth it alone, very destressing. Though it seems like as soon as I'm good and relaxed the doorbell rings or a dog comes and tries to sit on me or sticks a cold wet nose somewhere uncomfortable. Never fails. One day I swear I'm going to make my own Yoga With Big Dogs video. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.
#7 of 8 Old 10-26-2004, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

There was a segment about owner/dog yoga on NPR on Friday. Looks like someone beat you to the punch (though they didn't mention a video-- you better hurry up and jump on that one!).

I really appreciate all your input. I'm rehearsing for a musical, which is really one of my favorite things to do and very stress-relieving, but these days I'm so tired that it kind-of adds to the stress too (just one more thing to do)-- bummer! Message-boarding is a big escape thing for me to do too, but again sometimes lately it falls into that "one more thing" category. Perhaps I just need to simplify!

The musical will be done the second week of November, I have another function the week after that, but then my non-family commitments cut way back, so that's good, right? In the meantime, I plan to put as many of your techniques into practice as possible!
#8 of 8 Old 10-26-2004, 05:17 PM

Yoga and yoga music for me---I try to go to yoga class 1/week;a good cup of tea;foot massage or something I could do together with the boys like go to the park to feed the ducks or just a walk to have some fresh air.
Hope you feel less stressed soon.Take care

Chi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page