April Mamas Chat Thread: November - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 99 Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, the end is near! Tonight is the musical/benefit I've been rehearsing for the past 6 weeks or so that has completely swallowed all of my time. Woo-hoo!! I have to leave work at 2 today to go to our final dress rehearsal, then curtain is at 8, and certainly by 11 I should be in the car, headed back to reality. I love, love performing (wouldn't be doing this otherwise), but I really can't wait for the break. It's kind-of like going on vacation, but then being happy to be home, you know?

This is the news story they did about the show. Cheesorama. http://207.207.6.50/rmfiles04/porch_barandgrill.ram

In other happy news, I gagged brushing my teeth this morning and threw up. Boooooo... I will be 19 weeks on Monday- does the excitement never end? The last time I threw up when I was pg with dd was either week 14 or 16-- but in any case earlier than this! I demand a recount!

Oh, there is good news, though-- I'm wearing new maternity jeans and they are awesome! They are full panel, which might not be pretty, but is sooooo much more comfy than my demi panel. And they're Gap, so they are super-cute and long enough. Yippee!
#62 of 99 Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM

stream -- out on the porch is always cheesy! but sometimes interesting. which one are you???? i was looking for a pregnant tummy and didn't see one! sorry about the vomit. that's no fun. i've resigned myself to dirty teeth to avoid the tooth brush gag funtimes and i just chew a lot of gum. i am brushing my teeth. just not as thoroughly as i should be.

i read Misconceptions back when dd was born. i could see Wolf's points about a lot of things, but i also thought she came across as bitter and angry. i think a lot of it depends on who you have caring for you -- which doctor or midwife and/or nurse. my l&d nurse was brand new. she said and did some stupid things - like rolling an IV in and threatening to hook me up to it w/o my midwife's approval. and after dd was born i couldn't pee, but my bladder was so full it was keeping my uterus from clamping down to stop the bleeding. she looked at me and exclaimed, "oh my God! i've never seen that much blood. are you dizzy? let me get another nurse!" my midwife was off with another woman who was in labor at the same time i was, so i was left alone with this nurse. this time i'm getting a doula to avoid such events.

so, on a personal note, i'm still freaking out a little about the placenta previa thing. i know the placenta will probably be far, far away from my cervix at the next u/s. but i've really been enjoying this pregnancy so far, and the worry i have now puts quite a damper on things. i'm trying not to worry. but i can't help myself! you know, i have the "what ifs" going on. what if i start bleeding? what if i get put on bed rest? what if i have to be sectioned? what if...what if...what if...

somebody slap me back to sanity!
#63 of 99 Old 11-12-2004, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, whatever. We know you're not really brushing your teeth. :LOL

I am barely in the Out on the Porch segment. I am wearing a pink button down shirt and a long khaki skirt. Shortish brown hair, and lovely pregnancy complexion. Nobody bothered to tell us there would be cameras at rehearsal, so I look rather ghastly-- I don't normally wear makeup, but I would have for that! I'm not expecting any calls from Hollywood.

So many placentas start out kind-of low. I know your rational self is telling you it will be fine, and I really think it will be too. I know previa happens, but I have known *so* many people who had a low-lying placenta early on and not one who ended up with previa (I'm including in my little sample group all of the people I have "known" through message boards over the last four years or so-- a bigger group than IRL!). I hope your later u/s is reassuring.
#64 of 99 Old 11-12-2004, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
she told me that I just have to suffer right now. I almost cried. I couldn't believe she said it like that. She said it was too early to take anything, even zoloft (which I know is not true because the other midwife gave it to me a lot earleir with ds) and it would hurt the baby's organs. SInce we aren't 100% sure of my due date we have to wait. Of course I don't want to do anything to hurt my baby, I want to protect this child, but it's very hard for me to *just suffer* The migraines have been gettin so out of hand that it's affecting my ability to be a good mom to my other children. SO for now I'm stuck with the Tylenol and caffiene thing.
I've always taken Imitrex for my migraines, but not during pregnancy since it's risk category C (adverse effects on fetus in animal studies). Something dh came up with during my pregnancy with ds was to hold an alcohol swab right under my nose for a couple of minutes. It makes you feel a little weird, but apparently causes vasoconstriction (which is the action of Imitrex) and definitely made me feel better. We used regular rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball after the alcohol swabs from the first aid kit were gone.

Nikki
#65 of 99 Old 11-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn
i've resigned myself to dirty teeth to avoid the tooth brush gag funtimes and i just chew a lot of gum. i am brushing my teeth. just not as thoroughly as i should be.
My dentist gave me "permission" just to use mouth wash and wait to brush until a time in the day when I felt better. It's SO much easier than suffering through the gagging OR the dirty teeth...

Nikki
#66 of 99 Old 11-13-2004, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccarroll
I've always taken Imitrex for my migraines, but not during pregnancy since it's risk category C (adverse effects on fetus in animal studies). Something dh came up with during my pregnancy with ds was to hold an alcohol swab right under my nose for a couple of minutes. It makes you feel a little weird, but apparently causes vasoconstriction (which is the action of Imitrex) and definitely made me feel better. We used regular rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball after the alcohol swabs from the first aid kit were gone.

Nikki
Thanks, I will definitely try that.

Stream, was it oyu that said I need a break? I agree and am so ready for one. I love being a mom, but does the worry ever lessen a bit? Is there ever a time when there isn't SOMETHING going on with one of our kids?

Here is an update on Sam. He's okay.
Ok, I'm calm now. Sam has never before had a seizure, he does stop breathing when he gets hurt and i'm pretty sure it's only when he hurts his head. I did a lot of praying and I went to the dr's determined that he would not brush me off. I was all set to stand up for my son. Bryan did go with me. The dr was so very nice. He sat down with us, examined Sam and took his time explaining to us what was going on. He said that basically Sam is just a breath holder. He did not have a seizure, if it was a siezure it would not have stopped as soon as he started breathing. He would have continued to sieze. He said that sometimes when they hold their breathes it can cause them to have jerking in their arms and legs. He said it could be because after his first fall he's subconsiously afraid of passing out again, so he's holding his breath in reaction and therefore, making himself almost pass out. He said if it were something serious there would be other symptoms. He did tell us what else to watch for that would be warning signs. He said it is scary when it happens, even when you know what it is. He had a dd who did the same thing, only she did it all the time, when she was mad, hurt, etc. He did say we are lucky that he doesn't do it when he's mad. He said just to hold him and comfort him and he will come out of it on his own. And he should outgrow it anywhere between 3 and 5. After the appointment I felt very peaceful. My mommy gut was saying this was right. I am still keeping my journal of when this happens and it I see it getting worse or things that are unusual I won't hesitate to get him seen again. I'm just grateful that he's okay.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#67 of 99 Old 11-13-2004, 01:21 AM

serenity, you sound better now . i'm glad you took sam in and that they think it is just a reaction/ phase type thing and not a real seizure disorder. i know that kind of thing is SOO scary!

my friend's DD was the one who did it when she was angry and she started right around sam's age. she would scream, then hold her breath till she passed out and turned blue. as soon as she passed out and turned blue, she'd start breathing again. i think now, at 3.5 she has outgrown it super scary stuff !
#68 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 02:22 PM

had my 20 week appointment today. first, i've gained 10 lbs since my last appt. yikes!!! :

otherwise, it was a good appt. had a reassuring conversation with the doc about hospital policies and procedures. she doesn't require heplock or iv or anything icky like that. and i can labor in the lovely jacuzzi tub which is in every l&d room in the hospital. when dh and i had asked to see the rooms when we were there for the u/s the nurse had kinda freaked me out talking about how i'd be monitored and not being allowed in the tub during labor, etc.

the doc also assured me not to worry about the previa. that if it doesn't move we'll make plans about a c/s or bedrest if necessary. but until that day comes there's no need to worry about it. whew! for some reason i needed to hear that from her. she also explained how it's only because of the routine use of u/s that we know about previas as early as we do and when docs first started using them routinely they put every woman on bedrest as soon as they saw it no matter how early it was. some docs who are still in that old model still do that. thus, i was reading some scary stuff on the internet. bad me! bad!! :
#69 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Guess what!? I proud to introduce the newest addition to our family... a king-sized mattress! Yee-ha! 16 extra inches of space is headed my way. Our plan had been to buy one in March or so, but since my ILs are coming for Christmas, we decided to move up the timeline so they would have a bed to sleep in (oh no, not the coveted KING- I'm not giving that up without a fight! they'll get our current bed). We ordered a brand new $3000-something mattress set (Simmons) off of eBay for $700. Woohoo! And, since who would want a naked bed, I ordered a waterproof mattress pad, sheet set, blanket, comforter set, and some extra pillows on Overstock. Yippee! Internet shopping at its finest.

We'd already agreed not to spend much on Christmas this year, but that seals the deal. All I want for Christmas is my king-sized bed (and matching accessories)! Eeeeeee! I am *so* excited! I cannot wait for it all to get delivered!!!!
#70 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 07:09 PM

Stream! A new mattress...I am soooo jealous. That's all Beth & I really want for Christmas but are having a hard time convincing my folks that it would be a fun gift. But your ebay idea! Brilliant! will look into that....
(and congrats on the musical!)

Sorry for my long absence from the boards I was off visiting friends & family in Toronto for a 4day weekend and had a crazy week at work last week. I'm happy to say that I have updated my belly photos! I'm getting BIG.

I met up with two other MDC mamas I know from the Feb. boards (we were TTCing together, they are Shannon & Heveasoul for those who know them). We had a blast comparing pg bellies & chatting etc. And I have the biggest belly of them all, even at only 18 weeks! (I'll try and post that photo to my babiesonline site).

Feeling okay, other than super dry eyes, a very snotty nose and a weird rash/dry skin on my cheeks, forehead & hands! but overall I love being pg and getting fussed over.

my current issues:
-hormonal mood swings...mostly I feel okay, but then I have a major meltdown out of nowhere (last night over an unintentionally hurtful comment from my m-i-l she really didn't mean anything but it totally threw me for a loop, bawling for an hour)
-looking for a winter coat! This is getting more urgent as winter is on it's way up here! I hear old navy has some good stuff and I will check out ebay too!
-not as hungry as I think I should be to be able to eat all the food I think I should be eating... if that makes sense...

aprildawn on the previa, I hope it corrects itself soon! I hear you on the weight gain, as someone who once had an eating disorder, it's really important to me to just enjoy this pg and my growing belly and not focus too much on the numbers on the scale, yk?

seren -so glad your little Sam is okay, mama!

time for me to go home from the office!
#71 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Look at that belly! Color me jealous! Our computer has decided to stop talking to our digicam, so I don't have any decent belly shots to share. What I do have is a poor substitute from the official pics that were taken at our show on Friday. This is a picture that the other subjects would be p.o.'ed if they knew I was spreading it around, but it's the only thing I have of myself in profile... and they'll never know. That's me in the lime green shirt, looking hopeful or something-- I think I was just hoping the show would be over soon so I could go to bed. :LOL

Button-down shirts (like that one) minimize the belly pretty well, so it's not a fabulous representation of what I'm looking like. Maybe if you use your imagination you can get there. I'm not huge, but I'm certainly bigger than I was at this point with dd. I wanna be huge!
#72 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 PM

I'm sooo excited to be here with all you other preggo mommas! I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and I'm going for an ultrasound on Thursday! We want to know what the sex is and I'm pretty sure it's a girl I'm praying!

My last pregnancy wasn't fun. I was sick for 5 months and had sugar problems. After being 8 days late I went into labor for 26 hours, pushed for 2 1/2 hours, and still ended up with a c-section! 9lbs 12 oz baby boy! The best thing about it all was I only gained 26 lbs and took it off fast breastfeeding

What scares me the most this time around is having a huge baby and not being able to give birth vaginally! I don't want a c-section again!

My belly is really beginning to show now. I'm already getting the, "Gosh you look awfully big! Are you sure it's just one?" All I can say is my doc is measuring me with just one

I'm not hugging the toilet this time around. Thank God! I've already had a sinus infection with antibiotics. That wasn't fun. My sugar seems to be ok so far. This prenancy is totally different!
#73 of 99 Old 11-15-2004, 11:50 PM

welcome Deana!!

Stream-you look great on there! I can definitely see a belly, though!!
#74 of 99 Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Hi Seren

Just wanted to say that what your doc said about Sam's convulsion sounds right to me. My 3+ yo has epilepsy and the shaking and convulsion is accompanied by breathholding sometimes, which starts back up after the rigid phase of the seizure stops. Sounds like the convulsion was just his body's way of letting out that intense energy.

But do let me know if you have any questions about seizures. I seem to be the queen of all things epileptic these days (though Finn has been seizure free for over a week which is a huge deal over here)...

As for me, my belly is finally popping out. My heartburn is more mild after I started drinking baking soda in water (yuck, but it works so well). The weird thing is that I'm not really all that hungry and I can't talk myself into drinking water for the world.

I'm also thinking about quitting my Ph.D, which has been languishing since Finn was born 3 years ago, but that's kind of throwing my whole life's identity into a bit of a tailspin.

Feeling little baby kicks and have a midwife appointment here tonight (she's picking dh up at work so he doesn't have to take the bus

Angie

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#75 of 99 Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Liminalone, thanks for the reassurance, it always helps.

Aprildawn., I hope the previa corrects itself. A friend of mine had it, bed rest for 5 months, but it changed (not sure if it corrected itself or not) and she was able to have her ds vaginally.

Stream, I'm so jealous of your new matress. We have a king, but it's already getting tight. Our kids only spend half the night in our bed, but it will be tight if they do that with the baby, too.

I'm so beyond tired. This pregnancy has been worse than all my others for tiredness. But that's really the only symptom I've been having, so I guess I can't complain too much. Sav had a cold that wasn't going away. THe dr said it looked like it was starting to turn into something else (sorry if I already posted this) so gave her preventative antibiotics. THey gave her liquid zithromax, which is way nasty tasting, so she spit it out. So the dr told me not to worry about it, if she didn't get better he would give her amoxicillan because it tastes better. She was getting a bit worse, but instead of calling Friday, I decided to call Monday. Stupid me, we were up all night Saturday and Sunday with an ear ache. And now she has a horrible ear infection. No sleep since Friday night. WInter with all it's sicknesses is almost over, right? *sigh*

#76 of 99 Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 PM

I had the stuffy nose and head feels like a brick thing last month- it went away eventually thank goodness.

Not having the easiest time eating 100 g of protein a day- getting close though...I was NOT a big eater before pregnancy, pretty much dinner only, so all this eating is hard. I am gaining away, 20 lbs at 20 weeks, so I guess I am managing!

This week I dealt with sciatica. I would have gone to the ER yesterday if I wasn't pregnant, the pain was so bad. I almost passed out. Went to the chiropractor instead, and again today, and I am feeling much better actually, as well as (gasp) taking some tylenol. I keep telling myself I am not smoking crack, I am taking tylenol for extreme pain, but it still sucks.

Ah well...I knew I would pay for being so blase about not having morning sickness!

We share our king mattress with two cats- what do you all think about cats and babies, old wives tale, or should I worry about them sleeping on the baby's head?
#77 of 99 Old 11-17-2004, 12:13 AM

My cats couldn't stay far enough away from our babies :LOL They were scared of ds1 because all he did was scream. They don't go in the bedroom at all anymore. Maybe some cats would be more cause for concern, but mine are all big scaredy cats. It took them 3.5 years to get use to ds1 (who is just over 3.5 yrs now) and they only like him because he loves to pet them and give them treats. I say judge by how things are when the baby is born and decide then

#78 of 99 Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I agree that there's probably not much to worry about with your cats. Our cat did his best to ignore the fact that there was another being in the house-- I'm pretty sure he thought if he didn't acknowledge her, she would go away (and he was a curious old thing normally). The only time he would get near her is when I was nursing. He would crawl up in my lap and "nurse" on my neck (knead on me and mush his face and little teeth into my neck while purring as loud as he could). One of the other mamas on MDC tells a story about her own mom, whose cat would nurse (literally) on a button she had on a particular sweater-- so much that she had to resew it a bunch of times. :LOL So, aside from some good old-fashioned booby envy, I think your kitties will be just fine.
#79 of 99 Old 11-17-2004, 06:43 PM

I went for my WIC appointment yesterday and I've lost 4 1/2 lbs since the previous Monday. I am so excited. That means I've lost 7 lbs in a month. This is good for me, since I'm so overweight. I really hope it keeps up. With ds I lost a total of 16 then gained some back. When I went into labor I was still 5 lbs under my pre preg weight.

#80 of 99 Old 11-17-2004, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
I went for my WIC appointment yesterday and I've lost 4 1/2 lbs since the previous Monday. I am so excited. That means I've lost 7 lbs in a month. This is good for me, since I'm so overweight. I really hope it keeps up. With ds I lost a total of 16 then gained some back. When I went into labor I was still 5 lbs under my pre preg weight.
YEY!!! since you're so happy, i'm so happy for you . now that evil mw can keep her trap shut!!!!! LOL

all i have right now is stress. stress for selling this house too fast and from having to find a new house too fast LOL
#81 of 99 Old 11-17-2004, 09:03 PM

Seren: Congrats on your progress!!

danaalex: Wishing you good luck on the house shuffling and that it will all go as stress-free (ok, least stress possible... )

JoyAnne: Lucky you for that King size mattress!! And for your loving kitties too! I hope your sciatica feels better soon. Tylenol is much better than taking crack! lol!

And here's to everyone for wonderful mamma vibes!!

Can't believe we're half way through! Monday, they measured me at just over 18 weeks, and the ultrasound today measured me at 20w6d. I figure the little girl (yeah! it's a GIRL!) is right in between, right where she's supposed to be!
#82 of 99 Old 11-23-2004, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! We're back up! Slooooow as all get out, but up! Woohoo!
#83 of 99 Old 11-24-2004, 02:08 AM

were the boards down? we just got back from 4 days in disney world. one last trip before we move out of the state. fl residents get kick ass discounts and since we're giving up our residency we thought we'd go one last time, plus i got to see my dad.

i am really weirded out by this pregnancy. we left on saturday morning and i seriously haven't felt this baby move since before we left. i have a doppler so i listened tonight after we got home and found a heartbeat, but still no movement, nothing, nada. i am 20 weeks and by 20 weeks with both of my girls they were doing the jig all day and night long. this time, hardly anything. it's scary and strange and has me totally wierded out. plus, i am seriously HUGE. so, i don't think that it's the baby making me so big, otherwise wouldn't i feel more?

i'm glad i'm going in for the u/s next mon. hopefully it will give me some explanations. me being the paranoid freak that i am, i am now even more convinced that this baby has no legs, or worse................. uggh. why couldn't this one have been like the others? or have this one been my first because then i'd have nothing to compare it too!! grrrrr

how are the united states mommas spending thanksgiving? my DH and i are spending our thurs and fri packing up our house LOL. we'll probably order pizza for dinner. what a traditional thanksgiving, huh? LOL!!!!
#84 of 99 Old 11-24-2004, 03:28 AM

Quote:
i am 20 weeks and by 20 weeks with both of my girls they were doing the jig all day and night long. this time, hardly anything. it's scary and strange and has me totally wierded out. plus, i am seriously HUGE. so, i don't think that it's the baby making me so big, otherwise wouldn't i feel more?
My 2nd pg was like that. I was quite big (though not as HUGE as this time) and I think it must have been all baby, but I never felt him move much for my entire pg. I didn't start really feeling movement (other than the rare flutter) until about 22 weeks. From about 22 weeks till after 30 weeks I would go several days (once a whole week!) without feeling movement. Right up till 41 weeks I could still go a whole DAY or more without feeling him. Rest assured he had all his limbs and is an insanely healthy and incredibly active 14 month old. He was a very mellow baby, and apparently a very mellow fetus. I just thought maybe my placenta was in the front and that was why, but had no u/s or anything, so that is just a guess. Either way it all worked out great

#85 of 99 Old 11-25-2004, 10:30 PM

thanks. i hope you're right.

anyone have their linea negra show up yet? that thread on the main "i'm pregnant" board got me thinking about this. i had mine show up around 16-18 weeks with my other two pregnancies, but i still don't have it with this one. i'm wondering if maybe i won't get it this time?

anyone ever NOT get the line?
#86 of 99 Old 11-26-2004, 04:35 AM

This is my 3rd pg and I have never had it. Strange how different pregnancies can be

#87 of 99 Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
anyone have their linea negra show up yet?
didn't get one with the first baby. i'm 21 weeks and nothing so far this time either.

Quote:
i am 20 weeks and by 20 weeks with both of my girls they were doing the jig all day and night long. this time, hardly anything. it's scary and strange and has me totally wierded out.
dd was so still before she was born. she's quite a squirmer these days, though! i realized it was normal for me to not feel her an entire day, though i usually felt her at least one time each day. this one is doing jumping jacks day and night. it's totally different!
#88 of 99 Old 11-26-2004, 04:32 PM

No LN for me with dd or this time either. Hugs Dana!!!! I'm sure that u/s will make you feel so much better. To see that little one with your own eyes is so nice.
#89 of 99 Old 11-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to pop in and encourage everyone to visit Tracy and Gemini's annual "Helping Mommas in Need Extravaganza".

For those of you who missed it last year, or who are new this year, many mommas came together last year and helped needy MDC mommas for the holiday season. It was truly beautiful, and touched many many people across these boards.

If you are able to give, or are in need yourself, please visit the thread in my signature. Tis the season........

Hugs,
Justine

P.S. It's a boy!
#90 of 99 Old 11-29-2004, 01:47 AM

well i just got back from my high school reunion, and everyone wanted to pat my belly. :LOL there were many mommies and mommies to be, but no one looked like me ( not yet at least ).

this little bugger finally starting moving some . and i go for the u/s tomorrow so i am hoping to get some answers or at least some relief. we have about 50 boxes packed, and 11 days till we move. phew!!!

hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page