Made a tough descision last night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2004, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've decied to swith my provider from the midwives at the local birth center to a family practice Dr. This is so hard because I really wated to do a water birth....but one of the MW just isn't working for me and the kicker is that they have an 8 hr limit on pp stays, something I'm 100% not comfortable with in my living situation (too far from hospital for emergencies, big stairs, demands of caring for dd#1, etc).

Anyway, not sure what else to say, just feeling sad that my options are so limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 06:45 PM

i'm sorry your choices are limited. mine are here too. i am extremely grateful that we are moving now because i'm not forced to go from one crappy DR to another crappy DR and i won't have to deliver at our local hospital, that is just a scary place. there is one MW in our area, but she is super expensive and pretty much sticks to home births ( which i'd be ok with if we were near a hospital that i actually trusted). i know how you feel.

i went home 24 hrs after my delivery, i was ready to go, but i needed that time. i can appreciate you not wanting to go home within 8 hrs. hopefully your family practice DR will work for you in a way the MW wasn't. it sounds like you made a decision that will benefit you all.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:44 PM

It sounds like you made the decision that will work best for your family. I hope you have a wonderful experience!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:55 PM

I'm sorry your choices are so limited! But it sounds like you're making the best decision for you & your family. I wouldn't be comfortable knowing I had to leave w/in 8hrs after birth either!!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula
I'm sorry your choices are so limited! But it sounds like you're making the best decision for you & your family. I wouldn't be comfortable knowing I had to leave w/in 8hrs after birth either!!
Whew, glad to know that I'm not being crazy on that one. I feel like such a chicken for not being more optimistic, tons of my friends have used this place and love it. I know in my head that my Birth Center is a safe (debatably safer) birth option and that the hospital is only a few miles away JIC, but a few minutes can be big diference in an emergency situation and after the birth I feel that 8 hrs is too soon for the baby and I to be w/o medical supervision.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 AM

Simone (I love your name, BTW!) . . .I think I've come to the conclusion that, as with most parenting decisions, all we can do is research, reflect, act, and then hope for the best.

My DD was born with an OB in a hospital setting. I got to have the drug-free birth I wanted, but it wasn't all warm and fuzzy. This time, I'll still be in a hospital, but I'm going the MW route. I keep wondering (just because it's a different hospital, different practitioner, different birth!) how things will go and if I made the right decision. No matter how much I wonder, I just won't know until I actually have the birth experience.

It's not easy to have so much trust for something so important, which is one of the reasons I admire the UC mamas. Even though I am not comfortable with that route, I appreciate all the research, education, and trust in themselves. I think if we can all bring that to our birth experience, we will have done our best.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 12-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Leaving 8 hours after you have a water birth? I know that there often might now be any reason to stay longer, BUT, I would be a little apprehensive about leaving so soon, too. No good reason, really.
But- if you are following your gut- I say that you made a good decision, period! I hope you have a great experience.

I am very limited in insurance options. There are no midwives accepted by my insurance unless I am willing to drive about 45+ minutes away. Kind of depressing. I had an unspeakably wonderful midwife for the birth of my first son (in another state), and am sad to be in a blah-doctor-hospital thing this time. I ~could~ pay out of pocket for what I want, or I ~could~ drive 45 minutes for every appt. but with my 16 month old son and without a friend to leave him with b/c I'm new to the area- that is hard. Well, good luck to you and congratulations on following your gut!
allie

User Tag List