Are you doing the gestational diabetes screen? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula
Melanie, why do you have to fast????????? I ate a plate of scrambled eggs before I chugged the 'drink'. I didn't feel at all terrible from the sugar & passed w/flying colors. Even with my 1st pregnancy I didn't have to fast for the 1hr (I don't remember if I fasted for the 3hr).
My Dr also instructed me to fast (3hrs) prior the 1hr screen but I think that this isn't normally how this test is administered. According to her if you don't fast the glucose in your pretest meals can interfear with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM

Well I didn't pass the 1 hour an now I have to go in for the 3 hr which is a real hassel since I have to bring my 2 year old with me to the hospital. I'm also kind of worried about not passsing this test and then what....?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Can you find the time to do reg exercize for a week prior to 3 hr? Also maybe concentrate on eating a low carb diet during that week, from what I've heard these are the things that are typically the first line of defense in treating GD so perhaps they might be helpful in passing the 3 hr. I've heard the monitoring blood sugar levels at home can be an alternative to the three hr test.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 PM

I'm trying to excercise regularly. They have me on a higher carb diet than I normally eat for threee days prior to the test.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qerratsmom
I'm trying to excercise regularly. They have me on a higher carb diet than I normally eat for threee days prior to the test.
i'm sure you'll pass the three hour screen. and if they let you walk around the hospital. just chase after your son for the three hours. that is bound to make you metabolize the sugar .

i'm not really sure why they'd want you on a HIGH carb diet for three days before hand. i'd think they'd want it the other way around? i'll be sending you 'passing results' vibes!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:40 PM

It's interesting how many permutations of the test there are. I decide whether to do it, but my mw gave me a kit to check my blood sugar before and after a high carb/sugar breakfast (pancakes and syrup). It's not a situation where I'd risk out if my sugar was too high, so I'm going to do it.

Another reason why I'm liking my midwife...

Angie

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
Old 02-03-2005, 03:15 PM

thanks for the good vibes danaalex!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 PM

I had the test done with my first and going to have it done tommorrow. It is a good thing to have done weather you think you have it or not it is not a stupid test. The drink aint that bad either the kind they gave me taste like orange soda.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 PM

I knew I had some info about GD somewhere, and I just found it. Here are some tidbits from Ina May Gaskin's book, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth:
  • "The test, unfortunately, is not very reliable. Between fifty and seventy percent of women, if retested, will have different result than they got from the first test."
  • "The best evidence we have says there is no treatment for GD, either with diet or with insulin, that improves the outcome for mothers or their babies. In short, the anxiety that is often produced by this test simply isn't worth the information gained from it. Sometimes, when the test is positive, you may be urged to undergo further expensive tests and treatments with no proven benefit."

She says that she does routine testing with urine dipsticks in her practice, and if levels vary too widely or moms have symptoms/risk factors they use a glucometer. She says, "We usually find that they have been eating something that they don't tolerate well during pregnancy--sugar and white flour, for instance. In the short term, the best way for the woman to bring down the sugar level in her blood is to get up and exercise if possible. For the rest of her pregnancy, her best bet is to completely eliminate white flour, pasta, other starchy foods, and sugar from her diet."

So I guess this GD thing doesn't have to be such a big deal, even if your sugar tests high.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I guess this GD thing doesn't have to be such a big deal, even if your sugar tests high.
One thing to think about though is that if you have GD, stasistically (at least this is what I'm told by my Dr) you are somewhat more likely to get true diabetes later in life and undiagnosed diabetes can be pretty hard on the body. So knowing that you have GD would presumably give you the knowlage that you need to make sure that you are making diabetes preventive lifestyle choices later in life.

Quote:
They have me on a higher carb diet than I normally eat for threee days prior to the test.
This sounds terribly suspicious, like they are setting the test up to be extremely rigorous in catching a borderline case. I'd suggest researching this further and eating the way you feel would give the most realistic results based on your normal diet.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 PM

tomorrow ive got my three hour test. i was just over the line on my one hour so i think ill be okay passing this one. my midwife wont make me do insulin or anything unless its really uncontrollable (not likely) though.

jenny.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM

Well I took the three hour test. My ds was so wonderful! He was an angel at the hospital for all four hours. Anyway they called yesterday and said I'm in the normal to borderline high range so they just said I should keep to a very low sugar diet. That's what I try to do anyway. I wish we could have just skipped the tests and I would be doing a low sugar diet anyway. : I"m just glad my birthday was last week and I was able to eat my cake without feeling guilty :LOL
Old 02-10-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qerratsmom
Well I took the three hour test. My ds was so wonderful! He was an angel at the hospital for all four hours. Anyway they called yesterday and said I'm in the normal to borderline high range so they just said I should keep to a very low sugar diet. That's what I try to do anyway. I wish we could have just skipped the tests and I would be doing a low sugar diet anyway. : I"m just glad my birthday was last week and I was able to eat my cake without feeling guilty :LOL
that's great that your son was so good. i took my DD#1 to the screening test with me when she was about 18 mo and i had to chase her ALL over the place because she was not at all interested in sitting still LOL. this time i told my DR that there was NO way i was going to go with 2 kids!!!!! i'd probably pass out from exhaustion before the hour was up if i had to chase two of them around. she seemed ok with that.........

i'm glad that your results were on the good side.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Went to my OB today and got the results of my GD test:

"94"

What does that mean, other than it's within an acceptable range? What are the ranges?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknitter

"94"

What does that mean, other than it's within an acceptable range? What are the ranges?
According to the Dr. who ordered my labs, 70-140 is the expected score. Anything higher or lower might be cause for concern. Some Dr's use 135 for cut-off for ordering the 3 hr.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM

I had my test on Monday and did end up fasting because I was able to reschedule for an early morning appointment. I passed, though not by much...but I suspect that's because I wasn't quite as good about abstaining from sweets during the preceeding days as they wanted me to be
Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknitter

"94"

it means that you are very good at breaking down sugar LOL. basically for the gd screen they want you below 140, at or above that they'd order the 3 hr test. if you were to test your blood sugar during the day there are about 2-3 ranges that are acceptable depending on who you are talking to. basically 94 is good and your insulin receptors are working very well
Old 02-21-2005, 01:45 AM

I did have it done. I consider it totally unnecessary. However since I'm over 25 and have had three big babies I'm one who's supposed to get it done. Since I've never been close to failing with my first three I felt fairly safe at passing it and didn't want to have a big fight over something that probably didn't matter considering how much else I'm refusing. I ate a high protein breakfast (didn't have to fast at all) and then went and drank the stuff about 30 minutes later and had the blood draw an hour after that. My level was 71 so yeah I'm like anti-GD woman who just has 10lb babies any way. :LOL If I had failed the one hour however I would have probably refused the three hour. That's after lots of research that indicates that having a GD diagnosis doesn't improve positive outcomes and seems to increase negative outcomes (induction, c-section, shoulder distocias) etc. Even going on a GD diet makes little difference in the size of the baby and again doesn't change negative outcomes like stillbirths. This isn't some fringe group btw that came up with this but a governmental taskforce set to investigate whether or not it was useful to do routine screening for GD. They found there was not sufficient evidence to determine if it was worthwhile to do routine screening and that further research needed to be done to see if there were benefits to offset the negatives. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is or at least here is a link that shows the recommendation. I don't think this is the link I had before because I remember there being more to it about the negatives and positives:
http://www.guideline.gov/summary/sum...oc_id=3493#s23

At one point I had a whole list of links but I can't find them.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 PM

I did this test with my first the standard way- fasting then drink the stuff, etc... it was horrible. I was so unused to that amount of sugar that my body reacted terribly. I was sick for two days! I missed work and everything.

For my second baby the OB convinced me to do the test again but said to eat a normal breakfast first. I also walked around between the test and blood draw. The lab techs didn't like this as it is not standard protocol but I did at least feel fine. Did the same with my third child.

But I refused the test this fourth time. My midwife agreed that since all of my tests came back closer to results for someone with LOW blood sugar and none of my previous babies were over 7.5lbs that I really wasn't at risk.... Thank goodness. I hate that test.

Lani
Old 02-27-2005, 10:14 PM

My MW had discussed doing a finger prick at my last appointment but I think she forgot. We were too busy chatting
Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM

My midwife had me on a special high carb diet for a week before the test. She then pricked my finger for a simple glucose test like you would do at home. I then at a specific breakfast and returned to her office in and hour and she took another glucose test on me. Unfortunately my levels were high. I have been on a no sugar, no white flour diet since. I also test me levels when I wake and an hour after every meal. I only have a few more weeks to go. My main trouble spot comes when we eat out. You just don't know what resturants add to their foods.

Kasey
Old 02-28-2005, 05:16 PM

I had weight loss surgery nearly 3 years ago, so the glucose drink could potentially make me very sick, and my results would be skewed, anyway. So no, I refused. We're doing a couple of fasting blood sugars to make sure everything's okay, but no nasty sugar water for me.

The one OB in the practice was supportive of it. The other one doesn't seem to understand making choices that aren't just what they tell you to do. (Don't get me started on what she said about circ'ing.) There's no reason at all to suggest that I might be at risk for GD, but my mom has diabetes, controlled by diet, that happened after she had chemotherapy in 1996 and it fried her insulin receptors. After hearing that, Dr. tried -really- hard to talk me into doing it. Grrr. I still refused, but man. How about respecting my choices?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:53 PM

against my better judgement LOL i ended up doing the 1 hr test. my mom had the girls so i figured i might as well. well, i found out today that i didn't pass by like 1 pt. the RN started to tell me that i was going to have to schedule the three hr and i cut her off and told her i wasn't going to have that done. i told her i'll talk to the OB on wed. and if she wants to label me as GD and have me see a nutritionist i will. i'm not sitting there for three hours with my kids while i have million other things to do. i am due in 5 weeks, and i went early with my girls. we closed on our house on friday and our stuff is due to show up the end of this week. that gives me exactly 4 weeks to unpack as much as i can before the baby gets here. not to mention, that inorder for me to sit there for 3 hrs i have to ask either my mom or my DH to take a day off of work. which i'm not going to do...........

oh well LOL.

User Tag List