circumcision - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another NICU RN chiming in here. While we don't circ any of our boys in my unit, they do alot of them over on the well baby side. I have had to go over there occasionally and have watched many circs. If you do circ, which honestly I can't think of one good reason to do, please please please don't let any of the residents in the hospital do it. Every time I have seen them do it (they are learning) it takes super long (one took an hour and a half the other day with the guy clamping cutting, shoving, reclamping, reshoving, pushing, cutting, stretching, and so on ad infinitum). Only let someone REALLY experienced touch your son's penis. A urologist or surgeon or something and with good anesthesia. It is brutal how they do circs and especially brutal when it is a resident trying to figure it out. Blech.

Don't do it.

I had my first son circed. We didn't want to do it but after a solid week of both our parents nagging and nagging and crying over it we gave in. I regret it to this day. My youngest is intact and no problems whatsoever. Everyone has already said all the good arguments against it so I won't repeat. One good reason from my experience to leave intact? Because there is no good reason to do it, plain and simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2005, 08:10 PM

We've decided not to circ for sure this time. I'm very relieved and happy although I still worry about having one son intact and one not. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue. My husband objected far less than I thought he would and I'm happy that we'll be dealing with one less medical procedure after the birth.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:21 PM

my sons (and my daughters for that matter) are all fully intact the way they came out.. this baby will be as well...
although i need to say I am canadian.. i simply don't have the pressure it seems American's do... it is not still the *norm* here, in fact I know two little boys of ALL the little boys i know who are cut, and it was religous for theri family...
I would go on about it.. but to be honest most the arguments I have read or seen *for* doing it have been addressed...
This *is* a cosmetic procedure...there is no medical reson to perform routine genital alterations..if a parent is comforatable changing theri child to better suit theri personal ideals about what looks better it is thier choice.. that is the culture we live in, it is not easy to go against the grain for all people.. but when it comes to my own children...i made em perfect.
i would no sooner circ a boy than give a baby a nose job..and even more so.. The root chakra in my opinion is very vulnerable at birth.. having what i consider a particularily sacred body part painfully altered to me would be detremental to the well being of the child as a whole...

User Tag List