Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the explanation!
#62 of 80 Old 02-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
it looks like we're going to be taking the baby in much sooner than I hoped.
The contract we signed with our midwife (waiving any liability for her for a homebirth, since lay midwives here can't get insured, etc.) specifically stated that we agreed to bring the baby to a pediatrician within 72 hours of birth for a complete physical exam. We have gotten a recommendation for a ped. at Kaiser (where our coverage is) who is meant to be very homebirth-friendly, and are meeting with her for a consult a few weeks before my EDD. Anyone else's midwives ask/not ask them to do this? Any thoughts/ideas on what the visit will entail/what we should watch for? I am going to start the vaccine research soon (not yet) but other than that...?
#63 of 80 Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsexton
The contract we signed with our midwife (waiving any liability for her for a homebirth, since lay midwives here can't get insured, etc.) specifically stated that we agreed to bring the baby to a pediatrician within 72 hours of birth for a complete physical exam. We have gotten a recommendation for a ped. at Kaiser (where our coverage is) who is meant to be very homebirth-friendly, and are meeting with her for a consult a few weeks before my EDD. Anyone else's midwives ask/not ask them to do this? Any thoughts/ideas on what the visit will entail/what we should watch for? I am going to start the vaccine research soon (not yet) but other than that...?

We don't have to. Our midwife is a CNM. Before she became a midwife she was the head nurse in a nursery. So she does all the care for both me and the baby for six weeks.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#64 of 80 Old 02-23-2005, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsexton
Our midwife's contract stated that we were informed to do this, but that ultimately the decision (and any consequences thereof) was our own. Since we're not planning on vaxing this dc, I wasn't really going to worried about the wellbaby visits til 6 weeks or so. (I think they wanted dd at 2, 4, and 6 weeks, but I may be wrong). Even then it was only to make sure that things were progressing fine. But now, I am more inclined to take the baby in within the first few days just to be certain that this is a minor problem (if any at all). I feel better knowing, especially if we can do something about it.
#65 of 80 Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Our midwife's contract stated that we were informed to do this, but that ultimately the decision (and any consequences thereof) was our own.
I'm sure ours is probably worded similarly, actually. Are vaccines and a general checkup what the 2-day visit routinely entails? Which vacs do they do right away? Really must start that research, argh, my head can't handle more info right now on the slim amount of sleep I'm getting these days!
#66 of 80 Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM

(Pulling out dd vax card...)

Hmm, let's see. When dd was born, she got Engerix (HepB). I'm certain she got the standard newborn eye ointment and Vit. K shot, too. They did the PKU screening then too (not a vax, but something else I'm certain they would do at a newborn visit, unless you request your MW to do it or waive it).

At 2, 4, & 6 months she got: Pediarix (Dtap), HIB, and Prevanar (pneumococcal - I think this is for whooping cough). Actually, she was 7 or 8 months because I kept stalling the last visit. We did it anyway, but I had begun researching by then. That was her last well baby visit. I remember the doc saying "At the next one (12 mon.), we'll start MMR," and me thinking "Oh no we won't!" I've asked dh if he wants to have her examined since it's been a year, but last he told me is that "he'll think about it." She's happy and progressing well, so we don't really see the need if all they are going to do is lecture us about the necessities of herd immunity in our society. We both believe there's certain childhood diseases one should become immune to naturally rather than through an injection. Others should be delayed.

Not to mention it's the same office as my OB. Last time she came with me to a visit, she caught the croup from another sick child there. :

I can go on, but check out the vax forum -- that really helped me. There are some really good book recommendations that can help. But if your brain is as swimmy as I'm certain it is right now, I highly recommend Neil ******'s, Vaccines: Are they really safe and effective?, because it's a quick read with tons of references. Another one many people read (I haven't yet) is Stephanie Cave's, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations.

Feel free to PM too if you wanna chat about it.
#67 of 80 Old 02-23-2005, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the great resources! My midwife & our local homebirth community have a lot of good info. too...will definitely put it on the to-do list and might well be in touch directly
#68 of 80 Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

we'll my house is sickness free once again . yesterday and today the girls woke up fever free, and have very minor runny noses and coughes. not enough to worry about at all. i'm very happy because tomorrow we close and my mom is going to stay with them. all last week they didn't even want her to look at them or talk to them, so if they had still been sick tomorrow i had no clue what i was going to do. i'm glad that i don't need to worry about it now . we did find out that the homeowners have the FLU, which i'm not worried about but of course my DH is. he said to me last night, "we'll need to go in and disinfect the place." HUH? first off, airborne germs can't live that long on a surface. they'll move out and it will be like 24 hrs before we can move it. so, the germs that were there will be dead by the time our kids get into the house, which will be like 72 hrs after we get posession (sp). my MIL wants to come over sunday to the new house to de germify it LOL. she is a HUGE hypochondriac (sp).

on the baby front, i feel like this child is going to fall out, anyone else? he/she is SOO low i keep thinking i'll find a hand hanging out some time after i pee LOL. today i'm getting hit in the HIP, by a hand or something ( not a foot, they are up by my belly button LOL).

not much else to say. i've been on the computer enough this morning. have a great weekend!!!!
#69 of 80 Old 02-24-2005, 01:32 PM

danaalex, I'm so glad you guys are closing on the house. THat will be such a relief to you. btdt. And I'm glad no one is sick anymore.

I am really starting to get worried. I'm now 28 1/2 weeks. I feel WAY more pregnant than that. When I had my level 2 u/s the baby was measuring 27 weeks 6 days, I was 25 weeks. She weighed twice what most 25 week babies weight. I can tell she's getting bigger. It's already starting to get very uncomfortable for her to be moving around. And I have 12 weeks left. Last night I cried. I am so very thankful for this baby, I jsut don't know how I can last 3 more months. BUt i know I have to so she will be healthy. I'm terrified of a c-section, not just for the surgery, but that means all c-sections from now on. And we want 3 more kids at least. My midwife only does low risk births, so no VBAC and around here it's very hard to find an OB that willl et oyu VBAC. I do have a better chance than some of being able to VBAC, since I have had to vaginal deliveries already. I'm trying to keep my sugars down, but my morning sugars are still a bit high. Everytime they are high it causes my baby to think she is getting growth hormone, so she grows bigger. I just feel so scared.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#70 of 80 Old 02-24-2005, 02:14 PM

danaalex -- so glad everyone is better! i read your posts over the weekend, but just didn't have time to respond. and congrats on your house.

seren -- do you have gd? try not to worry too much about the baby's size. one thing my doc told me is to watch carbs the last trimester. my first was 9 lbs 1 oz. i'm not terribly afraid of a bigger baby, but one who is smaller would be nice. i had a 4th degree tear with dd#1, so i'm wanting a smaller baby, too.

to everyone else -- keep hanging in there.

oh, and i DO also feel like this baby is about to fall out sometimes. though, i also feel like she's really high. hard to tell. sometimes her movements are quite painful. i can also feel hands down by my hips, danaalex. and what are feet up by my belly button. i guess it's the pressure of the baby on my pelvic floor that feels like a bowling ball bulging out of my crotch! weird.

i found a doula who i think is going to be great! i'm so happy. we couldn't afford most of the doulas in town, but through some message boarding i found one who is working toward certification and only charges the cost to cover childcare for her kids while she's at your labor. we really click on a lot of beliefs about birth and about faith, so i'm so happy. we'll meet in person on monday. this brings me so much peace because of the blood pressure problem and my doctor wanting to monitor the baby in labor more than intermittently. that was bumming me out. havinig a doula makes me more confident i'll be able to handle labor strapped to machines if i have to.
#71 of 80 Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 PM

Hi everyone!

dana--glad that you & your little ones are feeling better...and SO glad you get to move into your new house!!

Seren I'm sorry your little baby is growing so fast, I hope she slows down in a healthy way & you feel healthy too.

Nissa --thanks for reminding me about the vax issue, I think we've been in denial about that one. With our mw practice, they do all the postpartum care for the first 6 weeks and then we can see our doc, I guess, if we want....

April & Dana - I can totally relate to that falling out feeling sometimes, especially when I sit on my birth ball & my cervix feels like it is being painfully stretched. And sometimes my butt hurts! It feels like I've been biking when I haven't

April-so glad you found that good doula, I hope your meeting with her goes really well too.

I have sooooooooo much work to do right now I'm off to do some more.

My dad & stepmom come this weekend with the pool, a cradle & a rocking chair. And we are going shopping for a stroller (the kind with ski and bike trailer attachments) we anticipate slinging a lot, but this is the kind that is good for big snowbanks and outdoor sports.

We have some showers coming up too that I'm getting excited about.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone
#72 of 80 Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan2bemama
And sometimes my butt hurts! It feels like I've been biking when I haven't
OMG, me too! That's the perfect way to describe it. I was at a loss for words when DH asked me what was wrong :LOL .
#73 of 80 Old 02-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Serenity, sorry you're having concerns about the baby's size. I'm thinking of you and hoping everything works out okay.

aprildawn, so glad you found a doula! I kind of abandoned my doula training halfway through because I decided I wanted to have the experience of birth first before becoming a doula. I just found out from my midwife last night, though, that doulas are very scarce in our area. I'm starting to feel a calling to pick it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
I have sooooooooo much work to do right now I'm off to do some more.
Sorry you've got so much work to do. Hope the load lightens up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
My dad & stepmom come this weekend with the pool, a cradle & a rocking chair. And we are going shopping for a stroller (the kind with ski and bike trailer attachments) we anticipate slinging a lot, but this is the kind that is good for big snowbanks and outdoor sports.
Just got our fishie pool last weekend! It's offgassing in our cold, drafty attic right now, but we'll take it for a test drive soon.

My midwife will be in Hawaii next month during what will be my 34th-36th weeks. We've got back-up people lined up and I can still reach her by mobile phone, but I'm getting nervous...
#74 of 80 Old 02-25-2005, 10:50 AM

Julie - I understand about the midwife being away, mine is off to Cuba & then Northern Quebec for all of March, we won't even do our home visit until week 39! But I like the backup midwife that I've met so far. to you I'm sure all will be good & you won't need her until she gets back.

I want to check out your crunchy mom link...

Lia -glad I could be of help :LOL
#75 of 80 Old 02-25-2005, 06:39 PM

So yesterday I was at my mom's who has a bathtub (we only have a shower stall : ) and dd actually took a nap -----> so it was all about de-hairing the legs! :LOL It's been months and I'm so much happier now. Think I'll wear a skirt to work tomorrow...

Dh started a new job this week (*YAY!*), which was such a welcomed surprise and relief. He does warehouse work and is now officially a manager which is something he's been longing to do. I'm very proud and happy for him -- but to be greedy, I'm really happy about the pay raise. Originally we were projecting that I might be able to only take a 6 week leave because of all of the bills. Now I might be able to stretch it to 8 or 10 weeks -- not a big increase, I know, but everyday home with the new babe counts.

julesmiel & wan2bemama: I can understand your worry about the MW being out of town. I haven't met my backups yet - there's a luncheon to do so next week, but I'm at work and can't afford any more time off. But at least I know I have some!

liawbh: just joined the Crunchy Mamas. Peer pressure from wan2bemama.

seren: I know it's the last thing you want to hear, but relaxing and not stressing too much over the problem will make a world of difference. And you know you can always come here to talk about it.

dana: Because I didn't say it before Congrats on the house and the kids getting better!

I have to say, I haven't had the falling out feeling yet. The closest I've come is dreaming that I went into labor and was having dh call the MW. Just as I'm about to sit down and check on the status, I discover a small head already crowning! : I want a fast labor, but I don't think I want it that fast! My mom has also dreamed twice that the baby would come at the end of March/ beginning of April instead of mid-April...

The most I've started to get are the lovely jabs in the ribs and karate chops to my hips. Oh yeah, and an occasional tickle (dd tickled me all the time!) This baby is lower than dd, but feels much longer to me.
#76 of 80 Old 02-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Dh started a new job this week (*YAY!*), which was such a welcomed surprise and relief. He does warehouse work and is now officially a manager which is something he's been longing to do. I'm very proud and happy for him -- but to be greedy, I'm really happy about the pay raise. Originally we were projecting that I might be able to only take a 6 week leave because of all of the bills. Now I might be able to stretch it to 8 or 10 weeks -- not a big increase, I know, but everyday home with the new babe counts.
Great news! I'm glad to hear that you might be able to stay home just a bit more. :
#77 of 80 Old 02-26-2005, 02:39 PM

I kept meaning to subscribe to these threads, but life has been SO crazy around here. I scanned along though, and I wanted to send lots of good thoughts to the mamas having a rough time. I can't believe we are so far along on this journey!! I feel so unprepared!!

An update on us: We had the Norovirus a while back, first I was insanely sick, then one by one the rest of the family fell victim. Nothing like a week without sleep while one child or another vomits every 10-15 minutes for days!! Thankfully we are all doing better!! My oldest is having some health issues in relation to his food allergies though, as well as some anxiety problems so he isn't doing so well, but after almost 4 years we FINALLY found a doctor who knows how to treat him and we are just waiting to get into the allergest (it'll take till november!!). My younger ds is quite a handfull these days as well. He is a high energy 17 month old and I think he can sense all the changes that are going on so he is kind of acting out. Normal toddler stuff

As for the pregnancy.....it certainly has been an adventure. After my U/S with the "extra limb" and finding 2 heartbeats on a nightly basis for over a week now (not to mention a ton of other stuff) I figured maybe it was time to rule out the possibility of twins. I am doing a UP/UC, but I went in to see my doc to get a referral for another U/S in case I decided to go that route. She spent the whole time lying to me to try to scare me out of homebirth so she is no longer our family doctor. I am very impressed with our new doc so far though and will see him to discuss it further. He understands we are homebirthing and respects that it is our decision to make, so I really feel comfortable dealing with him. All this hassle has made me SO glad that we opt out of the typical prenatal stuff though, yikes!!

I feel a little more ready for this new baby these days. I finished sewing a whole bunch of diapers, longies, and bumsweaters and I even knitted a few soakers. I have a lot more to do yet, but I think I will be over prepared if I actually get it all done......unless it REALLY is twins :LOL I am feeling more like its a singleton though, so I am not to worried!

I haven't even thought about what to do about the carseat. I think our infant seat is too old now (its been through 2 kids already) as it is 7 years old and you are only supposed to use them for 5 or 6 years. I am not sure if I will even bother getting another one as my last 2 outgrew it by 3 months or less (my boys are big). I think I will just go for the infant/toddler/booster combo that I have for ds2 though I will miss the convenience of not having to wake a sleeping baby to get them inside! Out in public we use the sling exclusively until the baby is old enough to sit in a shopping cart (if they want) or a backpack. Strollers just seem like such a hassle (though they are great when you walk a lot, we have a jogger and a double jogger so we can get through snowbanks when we do our errands on foot).

Enough about me.......

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and I hope to actually keep caught up for a change!!

#78 of 80 Old 02-27-2005, 01:47 PM

just popping to say hi

Free Range--so sorry about the virus, we had something similar at a summer camp I worked at and it was awful (think 80 kids and 30 staff sick!)
Sorry that your doc was so bad about homebirth too, glad your new one is better. I've been following your extra limb thing too good luck either way! Your soakers sound like fun, my MIL is making some lovely ones for us, and our diaper stash is starting to build. Like you, I think we've settled on the infant/toddler/booster combo and we have a jogging stroller too now, so good to hear that that combo works!

Heket-glad to hear that you might get more leave that's great! and fun quick labour dreams! glad you got some 'personal time'

'talk' to you all soon!
#79 of 80 Old 02-28-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

tomorrow is MARCH!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!

it sounds like everyone is well, for the most part .

seren- i bet you'll birth this baby JUST FINE. even if they end up being 11 lbs LOL. which i'm sure they won't be. my biggest was 9.4 and i am fearing an 11 lbs babe this time, but i'm just going to go with the flow and see what happens. we want one more child i think so.....we'll see

freerangemama- sorry to hear about being sick. the throw ups must SUCK. we haven't had them ever, knock on wood. after 10 days of high fever i don't think i ever want the throw up ickies LOL!!!! i was convinced i was having twins, we heard 2 HB a lot, but i ended up getting a very detalied US and there is only one . i had been measuring 6 weeks ahead, but now i'm only 3 weeks ahead. good luck with what ever the end outcome ends up being

everyone else. i can't believe tomorrow is MARCH 4-8 weeks left!!!!!!! good luck with all of your searches for doulas and what not, and making sure those babies wait until all of your MWs get back into town.
#80 of 80 Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 AM

Well, I went in to the doc. today to talk about the twin thing and he found 2 heartbeats too. They are distinctly different (about 20 beats a minute seperate them and they just sound different). We have decided to get an ultrasound to rule it out so on Friday I will know one way or another I have heard of people hearing 2, but that usually it was the baby plus their own, the placenta, or an echo. This seems to be none of the above as we also could hear mine and it was MUCH slower (obviously), it was not the placenta (which would have sounded different), and it was too different of timing to be an echo. I am off to do more research as to what ELSE might cause this as I really can't wait till Friday. I am kind of panicking. One special needs 4 year old, one high energy toddler and twins I don't know that I am up for THAT challenge right now.

We will see what happens I guess!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page