So, what do I pack for the birth center? & for a water birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-26-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a list of stuff I'm supposed to have packed now but I was wondering what you guys were planning to take with you to the birth center or the hospital? What are you packing it in? My suitcase is not big enough...Any suggestions? How else should I be prepared?
#2 of 13 Old 02-26-2005, 11:36 PM

Sorry I'm not from your group...

It depends on what the birth center supplies. I gave birth in a hospital and all I needed for myself was a good pair of stretchy shorts or pants, shirt, socks, and shoes (for going home in). For the baby, just a going home outfit, a blanket, and a carseat. They supplied everything else I could have needed. Oh, and a good hairbrush as those little combs are a pain!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 02:18 AM

Maybe pack two bags, one with the stuff you'll need/want while in labor. and one with stuff that's for later. Then you could leave the 2nd in the car (or at home if someone will be avail. to bring it to you)?

I'm so impressed that you're already packing! I haven't even read my list yet : .
#4 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Less is more!! You don't want to clutter up your room w/stuff you'll never touch. I'm bringing:
radio/cds
PILLOWs!!! (hospital pillows suck. bright pillow cases. don't forget some for dh)
PJs (honestly, I didn't wear them the 1st time around, stuck to the hospital johneys, but I'm planning to not be such a wreak after this birth )
tooth brush, hair brush, shampoo, contact stuff, glasses, etc.
Camera, film, etc
Loose fitting bra (i'm using a Blue Canoe cross over bra, but a Bravado would be great too, just for a little support for the gals).
Clothes to go home in (comfy stuff).
socks
baby outfit & blanket
car seat (already installed in car).
clothes for dh (in case of vomiting, shower messes, etc )
snacks (so my dh doesn't have to leave me in labor).

HTH
#5 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 06:05 PM

I have only about 5 weeks to go (hopefully this baby stays in that long)! and I haven't started packing yet either...

anyhow, this is my fourth baby and second at birth center so not too hard.

snacks are big
change of clothes for dh, including swimsuit in case of showering/tub
toiletries for both- toothbrushes, etc
music
pillows
change of clothes for mom- stick to maternity, you do still need them. I like to take nursing top with me though too
sling (i had my last in it just a few hours after birth)
baby clothing (2 sets, just in case)
baby hat
blanket or two
car seat of course
phone numbers to call afterwards if desired
maybe money for take out/ delivery as I am always FAMISHED after delivery and have never delivered during a meal time!

Lani
#6 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, good ideas there. My mom took me shopping today and I got most of the stuff you mentioned. We'll have to get dh his stuff soon too, I almost forgot about him...oops! (sorry baby)

I do need to get some pillows.

Hey, does anyone have suggestions for the birthing pool? Should I bring anything for that? I got a t-shirt/nightgown and then some mens t-shirts to wear. I can't find a bra I like and I don't think I need a swim suit. I read somewhere about bringing a bathing pillow....Any ideas there?

Aaaaand....Do I have to have pads? I've seen the Diva Cup and mother pads...will those hold up to the task?
#7 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 08:22 PM

No diva cup postpartum... nothing in the vagina until the cervix closes & the wound where the placenta was attached heals (risk of infection). You'll need lots of pads. Lots But not at the hospital, they'll give you these JUMBO pads there. Might as well use them, since you'll be gushing like no tomorrow & go through them like crazy anyway.
#8 of 13 Old 02-27-2005, 08:54 PM

planning a home birth so i am not really planning on what to take..
but while i do see not wanting to cart stuff about, or clutter the room..
I do think setting up your apsce for birthing as your own as important, if that type of thing IS important to *you*...sometimes the shift from home to centre or hospital can mean a stall in labour.. generally fear even subtle in labor can slow stuff down..so going in with your own energy to fill the space with you can be helpful to some mothers...some hospitals say no to scent as allergies can be a high risk for others.. but comfortaing smells, your own *special* things.. perhaps you wont ever glance once at them.. but owning your space is a powerful thing..
when I had my first somethign that was a must was lip balm...all that breathing my lips dried out fast!!
personally when i had a water birth iw as naked, made for easier nursing afterwards.. but i think what ever your most comfy doing is best.. we all need different things..
#9 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM

Do I need a waterproof MP3 player? I really need to use headphones with my hypbirth CDs to achieve total relaxation. Drat, I've gone through my closets and I can't find anything else to send to ebay.
#10 of 13 Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 PM

Trying to remember from my hospital birth last time...

I was spoiled by my doula. She had a list of recommendations that were perfect. All I had to do was combine it with the hospital recommendations.

I took two bags -- one for labor and one for pp. For labor, we took a couple of extra pillows (so happy we did!), and our CD player for music. In the bag I had a few snack for me, dh and my mom (the nurses weren't too keen on me eating, but I came armed with a doula, an expectant grandmother, and enforcer style husband :LOL); CDs dh and I picked out before hand; objects I wanted to use for focus and have around when dd was born (my mini-alter kit, some crystals and stones, a picture of an egyptian pregnancy goddess, a teddy bear for dd); several copies of our birth plan; and tons of lip balm! In fact, we had quite the entourage to the hospital and I think everyone who came also brought lip balm for me. :LOL

The pp bag had the personal toiletries and clothes for home. I also brought my nursing pjs, some slippers, and items for dd.

You know, now that I think of it, there was one more bag. It was a thank you gift to the L&D staff for their cooperation with helping us try to keep the birth as natural as possible. This was my doula's suggestion. They were really surprised and appreciated it. I had made up a small basket of food goodies -- trail mix, power bars, and starbuck's frappachino's (in a bottle).

Natashaccat: couldn't you maybe forsake the MP3 player and just take a CD player with you? You could have everyone else listen along with you...
#11 of 13 Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket

Natashaccat: couldn't you maybe forsake the MP3 player and just take a CD player with you? You could have everyone else listen along with you...
Yup I definately could, but I really prefer listening to music with headphones because they help me tune out distractions and feel more like I'm in a private space, KWIM. They sell waterproof holers and waterproof headphones that I could get instead but I think I might get frustrated with having to open the bag and change settings or with having to ask my dh to do this. I deserve to spoil myself a bit right?
#12 of 13 Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
Yup I definately could, but I really prefer listening to music with headphones because they help me tune out distractions and feel more like I'm in a private space, KWIM. They sell waterproof holers and waterproof headphones that I could get instead but I think I might get frustrated with having to open the bag and change settings or with having to ask my dh to do this. I deserve to spoil myself a bit right?
Point well taken! Although if it were me, I wouldn't mind making dh work a little bit.
#13 of 13 Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Out of all of the stuff we packed, I ended up using my sarong and a camisole. Oh, and the weleda baby oil for massage. The sarong was great because it tied under the belly, and I didn't feel all nekked in the birthing center. I'd just fling it off, climb in the tub etc. I really loved my clean pajamas after the birth...cozy lounge pants. Um, something to hold your hair back or clip it up. It can get chilly laboring with wet hair. Everything else was pretty much left in the bag, until we dressed the baby & left. So much for candles, tea & soft music like I planned! :LOL Hopefully this homebirth will be a bit more relaxing.

simply being a mama to 5!loving, living and learning at home...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page