What baby/birth equipt are you tempted to spend big $ on? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are saving up for a new car and being very careful with our $ these days but I'm so tempted by two things:

amby baby hammock....sadly this baby probably won't be able to safely co-sleep with us, because dd#1 is still in our bed and the bed logistics just aren't all that great for co-sleeping with a newborn. I hate cribs though and can see how this would be wonderfull even though it's sooo expensive and can't be used for long.

a water proof MP3 player....I sooo want this for laboring in the birthing tub

Anyone else have any have a wish list too rich for their pocketbook?
#2 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Too fun...

If I were unlimited in $$$, I'd buy...
even more cloth diapers
the best nursing bras
an armoire to store the baby's dipes & clothes
paint & hire painters to paint the guest room/"baby's room"
a massage a week
a brand new Medela pump

Actually, it sounds like kind of a boring list but it's definitely all stuff I would want!
#3 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM

Ooohh I am so wanting a natures sway baby hammock. And also want a double chariot stroller! Oh and just about every baby carrier known to woman! Please oh please let me win the lottery in the next 6 weeks! lolol!

Laura
#4 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM

since this is #2 and it's the same gender, our list of needs and wants is mostly big ticket...

we bought a nice dresser for this one with some of our tax refund. dd#1 got a nice dresser when she was born. we wanted to get something that would last their whole childhood/teenage years, not just infancy. it's unfinished, so dh is going to stain it soon. he has 5 weeks!!

i'm dying for a double jogger. i wouldn't have survived w/o my jogger, esp the first year. it says not to use it until the kid is 6 months, but we used it much sooner. it'll be starting to get hot by the time dd#2 is born (early april), and i can't imagine wearing a baby on a walk -- a walk for exercise, not just an evening stroll.

i also want a sling. i didn't sling the first time around, we had a baby bjorn knock-off that worked nicely though. slings are expensive, imo. esp since there are so many kinds. i feel like i could spend $40-60 bucks on a sling i end up not liking or not using.

oh...finally, i'd really like a night away with dh before dd#2 makes her appearance. if not a night away maybe just a nice dinner out somewhere and a movie. we've never left dd#1 overnight with either set of grandparents. and both live in town, so it's feasible...
#5 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 PM

i want a rocking chair to sit in with baby...
we don't have a buggy yet we had agreat brio buggy but it was about 10 yrs old..lol
#6 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 PM

Simone, we have the Amby hammock, and DD did like it a lot. However, I put it away once she was about 8 months old because that's when she could crawl out of it . . .it didn't leave me feeling too secure! So, consider that it may have a short use period (but the owner says you can put pillows underneath at the mobile stage).

As to what I want to buy . . .I've already added to my sling collection lately . . .maybe went overboard but oh, well (the only last temptation is a Didy, but I may wait to get that in the fall). Diapers-- wer'e set on since I just LOVE CPFs and after spending a lot of $ on CDs with DD, accepted that I'm boring.

So, nothing too big ticket, but I'd like:
-diaper covers for the really early days
-more sheets for the hammock
-some new nursing bras
-nice nursing shirts
-maybe a http://www.snugtuckpillow.com/ I still can't decide if our little full size bed would be too small with one of these

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 04:37 AM

I'm tempted to buy tons and tons and tons of cutesy cloth diapers. I have to be simple though, one big reason we are using them is to save money. They are just so cute though! I want one of every style and color! I've managed to contain myself though.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#8 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 12:41 PM

: my parents just bought us a Chariot Cougar stroller with cross-country ski, bike and stroller attachments and an infant sling so we're really lucky with that :

otherwise, we'd love the nice dresser that everyone keeps talking about, and we don't yet have a sling, and I would like to spend $200-300 on hypnobirthing at-home training between now and April.

fun to dream!
#9 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 PM

We have been spoiled and DH's bosses got us the two Britax Marathon car seats I had to have- I would have returned everything we got to get those! SO- I returned a LOT of stuff from our shower and got us a Quinny Stroller on closeout that should arrive today! Now I have to STOP ordering so many cute dipes off the TP.

So I guess I succumbed to temptation!

What would I get if I won the lottery? My DH home with us for as long as he wants, me forever, every dipe I see that is so cute, a maid every week after the baby is here, or even now!
#10 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 04:48 PM

I have most everything already since this is our 4th baby... the things I might add would be a wool fleece to lay baby on (not that my others ever let me put them down...), more nursing clothes from Motherwear- I've got a list! I don't regret all the slings I have already and will use them all again. Best money ever spend and I now have 3 kinds- have given away two others in past and even have back pack too.... For those worried they wouldn't like one kind or another.. ask for recommendations and try some out at a LLL meeting or conference- most moms slinging are more than happy to let you know what they like or don't and to try one out. Also check out ebay or other places for them for less. Frankly, the $40 most cost is so little in the long run compared to the usage it gets. I wear/wore my babies all day every day for months and still even use it with toddlers on hip or back.... Now if I could just have known to return all the other stupid stuff before baby 1 came- like pack n' play never used, crib and all the linens never used, swing barely used, etc. etc. etc.... Oh, for the one asking about wearing a baby in summer- I like the mayawraps for this as without padding is cooler and the free tail (not sewn together) makes a great cover from sun for baby. I wore all mine for summer months but especially baby #3 as she was April too. She wouldn't stay happy for long in stroller even when exercising. So I would wear baby and still have to push the silly thing.... If you do use jogger with baby under 6 months anyone be sure that you aren't jogging- just walking and on a fairly flat, not bumpy, surface as little ones necks are very unstable. I do love my double jogger though for the rare instances the toddler will actually stay in it- which can be rare... (these can be difficult to push with such different weights too fyi)

Lani

Lani
#11 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only thing I'm really tempted to spend way too much on is diapers! I just got $200 worth in the mail today and I'm counting down the days till Thursday (my pay day) when I can order some more!

Other than that, all I really want is a sling, which I'll probably by at LLL this week, and a rocking chair. I didn't have a rocking chair with dd and I'd really like to have one this time around.
#12 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
Simone, we have the Amby hammock, and DD did like it a lot. However, I put it away once she was about 8 months old because that's when she could crawl out of it . . .it didn't leave me feeling too secure! So, consider that it may have a short use period (but the owner says you can put pillows underneath at the mobile stage).

Yeah that's what's holding me back, my first was a terrible sleeper though, and needed to attached to me or in motion in order to stay asleep, the amby would have likely been perfect if only we'd known that such things exhisted.

Did your dd sleep in the amby at night? Was it a pain (vs having the baby in a basinette beside the bed) to get a sleepy baby into it after night nursings?
#13 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 PM

I feel like we're spending money like water, but it's all stuff that we've been putting off for too long.

Biggest ticket item is a new furnace since we're birthing at home and our super old one won't even give us a bathtub full of water.

We also need to buy both a twin and a queen mattress set; the twin to extend our existing family bed and the queen b/c guests (esp my parents) have complained enough about our guest futon.

We're also hoping to buy a new freezer since our old one is super inefficient and is always packed to the gills with gluten-free food and whole grains and nuts.

What else? I have no idea where to even look for a good quality dresser (have always had hand-me-downs) but dh's parents want to give us that and my parents want to give us a big item either (I'm trying to chose btw a double stroller and a glider (probably not practical since who am I kidding that I'm going to have the luxury of sitting and nursing this 2nd baby in peace).

How many months left until April???

And we probably need a new car, but our Honda is going to have to suffice at least til we try to take a big trip this summer and realize that we can't fit luggage and both kids in it...

I think we're spending more on the 2nd than we did on the 1st

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#14 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM

I feel like I've barely bought anything for the baby, since I have a dd who's not even 3 yet.

I did just buy a Britax marathon for dd. The Roundabout will go to the baby.

I am planning to buy:
- mama baby wrap (stretchy sling by maya wrap)
- changing pad thing to go on top of a dresser for a changing 'station' downstairs (I had one, but gave it away when we weren't using it)
- a few Bravado or Blue Canoe nursing bras

We just bought a new king sized bed which I'm in LOVE with, but that was needed regardless of new baby or not.
#15 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 08:08 PM

There are so many things I want, not to mention the ones I need (see my "not ready thread" :LOL).

But I really want to get a dresser or a changing table with shelves and some lovely wicker baskets.
#16 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 10:42 PM

I would love to buy a labor sling! Like they showed in that Unconventional Births show... That looked HEAVENLY. And a doula, I love my MW and her apprentice and we're having a second assistant but I'd love to hire a doula, ain't no way DH is paying for that after paying for a homebirth! Plus I'd like a cleaning service, once a week for at least the first four months, heck once a month would be loverly.

Still NEED to buy -- a couple of nursing bras, material for my new sling (since I gave all my old ones away)... ummm don't know what else -- we're having a shower on Saturday but I don't really NEED any of the stuff we're likely to get there.
#17 of 25 Old 03-01-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
Yeah that's what's holding me back, my first was a terrible sleeper though, and needed to attached to me or in motion in order to stay asleep, the amby would have likely been perfect if only we'd known that such things exhisted.

Did your dd sleep in the amby at night? Was it a pain (vs having the baby in a basinette beside the bed) to get a sleepy baby into it after night nursings?
My DD was (really, IS) a horrible sleeper, too . . .she actually slept well (briefly) when we got the hammock at NIGHT from 3 months on. It wasn't a pain to get her in and out of it, either . . .but, at that age, she used a pacifier. At 6 months, she promptly spit out the pacifier and never went back, and then for the next 6 months she woke up every 20 minutes-2 hours (2 hours was rare), crying to nurse. When she spit out the pacifier, that's when the hammock no longer worked at night. Still worked well for naps, though.

OT: I really, really, really, really, REALLY wish I could sleep through nursing sessions. My life would've been (and would be when this one is born) infinitely easier . . .ah, to just sleep and nurse, sleep problems wouldn't exist!

Anyway, one thing I liked about the hammock is that when DD was born, she really wanted to be sort of upright--- even co-sleeping didn't work a lot because of this, so we put her in a carseat : Granted, I didn't sleep much worrying about it, so I like that the Amby more or less will have the baby in that position (though the mattress is firm, considering).

If nothing else, you can sell it and get some money back when you're done! It takes up so little space and you can travel pretty easily with it, too, which is a plus. I also just love the image of remembering DD happily sleeping in it . . .especially since she has never needed a lot of sleep!

(Sometimes I wonder if she's a robot . . .she's usually cheery and she gets so little sleep, needs so little food . . .hmm . . .)

Quote:
I would love to buy a labor sling!
Ohh, what is this??? Fill me in!!!

For moms considering getting a sling for the first time . . .if you haven't already seen it, definitely visit http://www.thebabywearer.com/

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#18 of 25 Old 03-03-2005, 09:59 PM

It's so impractical but I would buy a Bugaboo if I had all the money in the world to play with! I don't even plan on using a stroller much, but they are just so darn cute! Maybe someday I'll see one on the street and get to push someone else's kid around it in while wearing my baby :LOL
#19 of 25 Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 PM

a BABY JOGGER TWINNER 2!!!! THANK YOU MIL!!! Such a gift from GOD I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!

oh yeah, and another Britax Marathon. And several more Mayas to coordinate my wardrobe
#20 of 25 Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 AM

Here's a thought!!! Regarding the baby hammocks...
Anyone ever sit in the hammock chairs they make for adults? They sell them with the same types of stands or you can hang them from a beam in the ceiling. What if I get an adult hammock chair and safely put baby in there (up until baby can sit up or whatever, of course). The baby vs. adult hammocks chairs cost about the same, might even be able to find a cheaper one for adults! THEN, once baby is done using it, "I" can use it!!!! What do you think!!?? Does anyone else think this is a good idea???
#21 of 25 Old 03-04-2005, 03:03 AM

The adult hammock chair idea doesn't sound like a good idea IMO. We have a hammock chair and the kids can easily loosen the netting and get a limb stuck. For a baby, I think it would be too hazardous because their head could get stuck. Even if you used a blanket over the netting, I still wouldn't do it. Better safe than sorry.

hang.gif  

#22 of 25 Old 03-04-2005, 03:52 AM

Hmmm... what if I bought some material and sewed a removable cover that could fit over the entire hammock chair? It could fasten to the chair so it wouldn't slip down, etc. :

Just trying to find some safe way to get away with this!
#23 of 25 Old 03-04-2005, 05:20 PM

We're pretty much set on purchases specifically for the babe b/c we kept everything from ds (22mos), but if I had my druthers, I'd splurge on a king size mattress so we could all fit comfortably! That would just snowball into needing to do an addition to the house b/c the queen size bed barely fits in there now...Then we might as well enclose the porch so we can have a dining room and office (the 2nd bdrm is the office/changing table/library/studio). Oh yeah, and I can't resist the adorable clothes they have for babes and kids now. And a new sling (our New Native is fading-we used it all the time!)

We have a person coming once a week to help clean the house, and sometimes it seems like she hasn't been there just two hours after she leaves... And I'd love her help with the laundry, but I'm such a pain when it comes to doing the clothes a certain way. But it is wonderful to have the house cleaned once a week. DEFINITELY worth it, especially with me in the office ft. (OT: yay! That ends next week! I start maternity leave on Thurs )
#24 of 25 Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Mizel-
A labor sling is a device (created by Penny Simkin) for mama during labor. It is basically an enormous sling that is suspended from the ceiling for mama to sit in, kneel across, etc... Like a hammock, sort of but stronger and super neat! I saw one on that unconventional births show on Discovery channel but now I can't seem to find a pic of one.

Another recommendation for mamas looking for their first sling/carrier -- check out peppermint.com they have great info on a variety of types and styles of slings and carriers.
#25 of 25 Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM

I want a mountain buggy double stroller. They are just a mere $600 dollars. But damn if they are the Cadillac of doubles, especially for this urban mama.

We are planning on moving soon so I won't buy anything right now. We really need a new dresser but I am not sure how I will be decorating the new pad. For now I got some more baskets to squezze onto the changing table.

I am going to suffice for a new boppy cover (reminds me to order one), a new diaper bag for the back of my stroller (ordered at a discount from my friend's baby shop) and a new sling but i haven't decided which kind yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page