So what are you going to wear? Completely frivilous post! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay - so for mamas planning a water birth this is irrelevant.....

but what are you planning on wearing during your birthing time?

i have given this alot of thought since the last time the hospital gown sucked! especially when it came time to breastfeed.

also, i am a pretty modest person and even though at the end of my gazillion hour long labor i still found myself worrying about a boob falling out here and this or that being exposed. plus i have an ugly tattoo on my butt - and I just HATE when anyone sees it.

i know it seems stupid to have those thoughts in labor, but hey you are who are you i suppose - and i don't want those sort of insecurities interferring or clouding my mind this time around.

i was thinking i wanted to birth in a skirt and thought it was so cool when i found an ad in mothering last one specifically for such a thing. i ordered one last week and can't wait for it to some this week so i can check it out. i haven't really sorted out what i am going to wear in the laboring tub yet (i do plan to use a tub during labor at the birth center provided both rooms with tubs aren't filled!) it seems like so many people i know are having babies in april!!
#2 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM

This might be TMI, but hey-- we're talking birth here!

I was bleeding SO much with DD . . .the whole time I was in labor. I was messy, messy, messy, and the hospital had no tub (I'll have a tub this time, but not for the actual birth).

Anyway, I actually wore NOTHING during pushing. I think the nurse took off my gown since it was so bloody, and the doctors (not my own-- she got there late!) asked me if I wanted to put something on and I said no. I was too busy and concentrating!

I read in some books that birth is very sexual, and that's what makes people uncomfortable (like doctors). Normally, I am extremely modest so I am still surprised that I was naked, but now I just think that it was OTHER people's problem that I was naked, not mine.

I so agree about the hospital gown and breastfeeding . . .ugh! But, I was so bloody afterwards (and even ended up hemmorraging) that I didn't dare put on my own clothes. So, I hesitate to bring my own stuff again! I AM going to bring slings, though, so that will help with the modesty!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#3 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing I plan on wearing during the actual delivery is a sports top with a bra sewn into it. But for the laboring part I will wear something to cover my lower body.

And yes, I do agree my first birth was messy! I brought my own robe last time and not this time! I leaked onto mmy robe hours after giving birth, so I don't want to take a chance this time, even though the last time it did not stain.

Birth is a very sexual event, part of the reason I feel I need to be covered or modest I suppose.
#4 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 05:21 PM

With my 4 hospital births I had the hospital gown on. With my first homebirth I labored in the tub w/o anything, but when I got out I put on a light gown. With my UC I labored in the tub for a while and just never put anything on after that. It was the first time I birth naked it was really amazing. However I don't know if I would have felt as comfortable with an audience. I am the type to wait and see what I feel like and having hb really helps when it comes to what to wear.
#5 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 05:53 PM

wow. i never even considered this- i was stripping my clothes the second i got to the birth center, sort of pannicked the nurse, she said i needed to wait until i got indoors to take my pants off, because she, um, didnt want me to catch a chill :LOL . so i labored and birthed naked, not that i am a big flasher usually, just for laboring, it never occurred to me to leave my clothes on.

i can see, however, in the much less private setting of a hospital, how you might feel more comfy covered, being naked could make one feel quite vulnerable. i hope you find the perfect thing that makes you feel confident and comfy.
#6 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm wearing a sports bra for sure. My pg boobs are just way too big for me have them all hanging out there. I've heard that its a good idea to get some of those shorts style undies so that you can walk around with a pad after your water breaks and not feel like you are peeing all over the floor. I'll probably bring some of my dh's t-shirts too just because they always make me feel comfortable.
#7 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 10:59 PM

hospital gown for sure.

whoever said they don't want to bloody up their own cloths -- i'm in total agreement. some women complain about feeling like the hospital gown makes them a patient or something, but i'd much rather bloody something that doesn't belong to me than my own nightgown or robe!

i am bringing a nightgown to wear afterwards. but with dd i tore 4th degree and was bleeding something awful for days. i didn't even get dressed until the day we left the hospital. it didn't cross my mind. i wanted to leave things open and airy down there and didn't want to leak blood and goop all over my own underpants or clothes.
#8 of 26 Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom
It was the first time I birth naked it was really amazing. However I don't know if I would have felt as comfortable with an audience.
I haven't gotten drunk too many times in my life, but being naked for giving birth (in a hospital with 3 doctors . . .it seemed like people came in just to watch) was a LOT like that. :LOL I was so uninhibited because I was completely into what I was doing (not in pain, just intensely working), but afterwards felt like . . .what did I JUST do??? : That's why I have to tell myself that if anyone felt awkward it shouldn't be my problem so that I'll stop feeling weird!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#9 of 26 Old 03-10-2005, 04:23 PM

I'm planning a waterbirth and although I know I'll prefer to be naked-as-a-jay-bird... I think my DH would be a lot more comfortable if I wear SOMETHING so... I have a tank top and a sports bra both set aside (although I had an amusing temptation to pick up some super cute bikini top today LOL) I have a nice new terry robe (white so I can bleach the heck out of it later if necessary) to wear for out-of the tub laboring if I decide to... but who knows.
#10 of 26 Old 03-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelfqueen
I'm planning a waterbirth and although I know I'll prefer to be naked-as-a-jay-bird... I think my DH would be a lot more comfortable if I wear SOMETHING so... I have a tank top and a sports bra both set aside (although I had an amusing temptation to pick up some super cute bikini top today LOL) I have a nice new terry robe (white so I can bleach the heck out of it later if necessary) to wear for out-of the tub laboring if I decide to... but who knows.

Hmm, I'm waterbirthing too and hadn't considered the "getting out of the tub" portion of labor. I was also planning on a sport bra/ tank w/ shelf bra kind of thing, assuming that my body would allow it. Since it'll probably be just a few people (mom, MW, dh, maybe dd), I'd probably prefer the naked as a jaybird aspect too. (Last time was a hospital birth and the loosenes of my own nightgown was very comforting -- I didn't feel constricted and I could retain some sense of modesty.) I don't know if I want to get a robe, but maybe I could get some kind of sarong type of material to just wrap around... I'll have to think about it.
#11 of 26 Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Well, with my ds I thought I just *had* to have something "cute" to wear for labor & delivery...he came earlier than expected so I never had time to buy anything. Sooo glad because I made a huge mess giving birth & really could have cared less what I had on while trying to get him out.

I didn't have any trouble nursing in my hospital gown - mine actually tied at the shoulders making it very easy to let down one side or the other.

What I did do, however, is buy a super cute pair of pajamas to wear after birth. That way when family & friends came to visit I was in my own clothing & felt much more comfortable getting up to use the bathroom or whatever.

Christina
SAHM to Brendan 6.6.03 and baby boy due 4.23.05
#12 of 26 Old 03-11-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

"i can see, however, in the much less private setting of a hospital, how you might feel more comfy covered, being naked could make one feel quite vulnerable. i hope you find the perfect thing that makes you feel confident and comfy"

last time i birthed in hospital. this time i am in a birthing center in a hospital. birthing naked is something i admire, but i just can't get out of that "holy crap" i am NEKED in front of a whole lotta people headspace!
#13 of 26 Old 03-12-2005, 11:49 AM

I'm not a naked birther either-- I felt a whole lot more comfortable having something on during my dd's birth. I know when she was born I was still wearing the maternity sleeveless top I had worn the day before. I know I was wearing undies up until my water broke (right before I started pushing), but I can't remember what I had on on bottom before then. Some kind of shorts, I think.

This time, I bought another camisole/shelf bra top with the specifc intentions of wearing that. We'll see. I'm pretty sure I'll wear something, since I really am more comfortable in clothes than nekkid.

I do kind-of like the idea of buying a cute bikini for the water part of the labor. I have never ever worn a bikini as an adult (I really shouldn't!), but I don't have any body image issues whilst in labor, so why not grab the opportunity?
#14 of 26 Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 AM

For my first labour I wore a large T-shirt (dark coloured) that covered my butt (I had underwear on until I lost my mucus plug and then ditched them). I used the bath at one stage and just jumped in naked although it still kind of makes me feel a bit weird thinking about it. I put a clean t-shirt on for the rest of the labour and just pulled it up once bub was born.

This time I'm going for a water-birth so better get over the fact that I don't really like the idea of birthing naked although maybe I'll wear a tank top or something.

I've been reading one of Ina May's books and the totally naked pictures in there just aren't me.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#15 of 26 Old 03-13-2005, 05:48 PM

Stream -- that was my thought too... there's no way I'd wear a bikini top at any other time but darn it... they ARE cute and they would be a fun thing to look back on in the pics, IMO and I don't really see a difference btwn a bikini top and a sports bra for that use... I think may just have to get one. Some fun, funky print.
#16 of 26 Old 03-13-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

bikini tops - YEAH! go for it!

i myself was well endowed prior to pg and dd#1. and i defintely think bikinis are hot sexy and cute, but this mama needs some s-u-p-p-o-r-t. therefore birth skirt, sports bra sewn into a ginny-T or sports bra solo for me.
#17 of 26 Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 PM

funny - I bought a cute bikini top at an end of the season sale last year and have never worn it. But it dawned on me the other day that I should wear it in the hospital. But then I can't figure out what to wear to cover my bottom. Ideally I would like a flowing, knee length skirt that is made out of swimsuit material. So then I can hop in the shower when I want to and not worry about getting it wet, plus it will dry quickly too. I have a feeling I'm going to have to make my own
#18 of 26 Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents
i was thinking i wanted to birth in a skirt and thought it was so cool when i found an ad in mothering last one specifically for such a thing. i ordered one last week and can't wait for it to some this week so i can check it out. i haven't really sorted out what i am going to wear in the laboring tub yet (i do plan to use a tub during labor at the birth center provided both rooms with tubs aren't filled!) it seems like so many people i know are having babies in april!!
I was thinking of this too. I saw a picture of a mom in Birthing from Within and it got me thinking of a sarong type of skirt to wear. I just haven't found one yet. Can you show us pics of your skirt? Where did you order it? I don't get mothering magazine so I'm not sure where to go...
#19 of 26 Old 03-17-2005, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

the company is called binsi birth skirts which you can check out here. i got my skirt the other day. it is cozy and soft. i have yet to handwash it, which i want to do to see how quickly it air dries.

i suppose a sarong would work to. i always have to tie and re-tie mine though. also, the ones i have now would never fit around my big belly!
#20 of 26 Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM

i pretty much wear a nursing bra and gown until the babe is born. i have no issues with being naked, but never really gave it much thought while in labor. i will bring my own nursing night gown for after delivery. i have no issues being bottomless, but for some reason i like to have my nipples covered LOL. and nursing bras are just so perfect for after delivery.
#21 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 05:19 PM

Hello,
I'm visiting from the June expecting board looking for some ideas, and just wanted to say thanks to goodcents for that link to the Binsi skirt--just ordered one!
#22 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 06:09 PM

I am having a water birth, but I am choosing to wear a top- a simple black sports bra. Mainly because I want my pictures to be something that I can share if I want to, and I'm a pretty private person. I also found a black sarong in my closet to pull out if I feel the need when out of the pool, but I probably won't. Probably something like I'm wearing in my PG pics below.
#23 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 06:51 PM

This will be my first birth. I'll be in a small stand alone birth center. I'm planning on wearing a tank with a shelf bra. I've also got some boxers that DH bought that didn't fit him. And I plan to get an old robe or two. Stuff I don't care if I mess up. And I'm going to get some nursing nightgowns for afterwards.
#24 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 06:57 PM

when i birthed ds in the hospital i wore a shelf tank and no bottoms. couldn't see being comfy in the gown.

i hadn't thought of this either for homebirth as we are planning a water birth. i am thinking definitely a shelf tank (they are really comfy, and my boobs are too big to be hanging!)

i am also thinking a sarong would work quite well.
#25 of 26 Old 04-13-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi remember me? The one who was worried about being naked?

Well I guess that wasn't the case whilst in labor since I was completely NEKED this time round. I started early labor in the birth skirt - but in the middle and at the end I just kept going in and out of the shower so much. That coupled with the fact that anything on my skin annoyed my like nuts I was bare bones!!

So........
Anyone wanna buy a birth skirt? :LOL
#26 of 26 Old 08-07-2005, 12:08 PM

I had my son at home two months ago. From right after my first contraction to 12 hours after he was born, I wore a white baby shirt and no pants. It felt kind of humiliating, since my parents were there, but trust me, it passes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page