Vitamin K shot: YEs or NO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering about the vitamin K shot for the baby when she's born. Do you think its necessary? I'm up on many issues but not that one.
#2 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM

I went back and forth about this one, but I've decided to not do it. Unless there is some sort of birth trauma, like broken clavicle or extreme bruising. Otherwise, it doesn't really make sense to me that every baby born would be deficient in something, KWIM? There is some evidence that upping your own Vit K before the birth can help. I think alfalfa is good for that.

Oh, there is also the option of doing the oral vit K.
And it depends on where you're birthing. I know some hospitals in some states make a big stink about it.
#3 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
From the march board here- but I am not doing vit. K and we didnt for our DD#1 either. I think unless there is trama it is unneeded.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#4 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM

I'm refusing it unless there's severe trauma. Like the other poster I believe there's a reason that vitamin K production doesn't begin until the baby is about a week old and that BM has only low levels of it. I know there has been some preliminary research linking vitamin K and lukemia so just another reason to pass on it unless there's a good reason to do it.
#5 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 02:30 PM

I'd allow the cord to remain intact until the placenta is birthed. And with breastfeeding I feel pretty confident that its not needed.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 02:35 PM

There has also been links to the vitamin K and jaundice. All 4 of mine born in the hosptial recieved the vitamin K all had jaundice. The 2 I have had at home did not get any vitamin K and neither had jaundice. There is also the study of childhood lukemia

If the birth was tramatic or there was bruising etc then I would opt for the oral dose. Otherwise I am not even going to worry about it.

Kasey
#7 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 05:23 PM

We didn't do the Vit K with our boys....and we are not planning to give one to this baby either.
#8 of 20 Old 03-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Do any of you have any good links about research/info? I'd love to read more about reasons for not giving, etc. thanks
#9 of 20 Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with a lot of the posters, its just going to depend on the delivery. My dd had a pretty traumatic birth that ended in c/s, so she got it.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#10 of 20 Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM

My midwife said I could have oral vitamin K if I wanted it, but I'm not going to do it, especially since my own diet has ample sources of vitamin K.
#11 of 20 Old 03-13-2005, 04:55 AM

My son had the injection - I hadn't really done much reading up on it, although he is fully unvaxed.

This time I have opted to go for the oral doses.

I have this weird thing about needing to do the same for both children and this way it is a compromise.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#12 of 20 Old 03-13-2005, 05:57 AM

hemorrhagic disease affects aprox 1 in every 1,200 breastfed babies and about 1 in every 20,000 formula fed babies (formula has added vitmain k) I tend to feel that the *need* for vit k became wide spread in north america as infant circumcsion became routine.. needing an infant's blood to clot becasue of performing this procedure...
failing some unforseen birth trauma to babies head we wont be doing the shot..
I tend to think with the way humans function if babies are born with less viatmin k and develop it fine in time.. it would be for a reason.
#13 of 20 Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Lurking for info... Still trying to decide on this one as well.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#14 of 20 Old 03-16-2005, 06:26 PM

Does anyone know the effects if I get the shot for myself instead of giving it to the baby?
#15 of 20 Old 03-16-2005, 07:33 PM

There are some very good links posted in this thread.

http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=261527

Tori from some of what Pamela posted I would guess you getting the shot would help. Seems like what we eat shortly before birth and during BFing can make a big difference in the levels in our BM.
#16 of 20 Old 03-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
There are some very good links posted in this thread.

http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=261527

Tori from some of what Pamela posted I would guess you getting the shot would help. Seems like what we eat shortly before birth and during BFing can make a big difference in the levels in our BM.
Thanks!

I think I would definitely prefer to just eat the natural sources myself. Natural Sources of Vitamin K
#17 of 20 Old 03-21-2005, 03:43 PM

We didn't do the Vitamin K shot for dd because she had a very gentle birth and no trauma. The mw gave us the option of doing the shot after the birth and we decided not to b/c it was so gentle (my waters were still intact when she was born). If she had a difficult delivery, we may have opted to do it. When the mw did the pku the next day, dd's blood clotted very well and actually had to be pricked on her heels several times because of it. The mw said it was likely due to my diet of vitamin k rich foods. I don't know the specifics of my diet that contributed to this, but just thought I'd let you know about my experience. Good luck with your decision, and birth!
#18 of 20 Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 AM

If I am breastfeeding and eating lots of vitamin k rich foods wouldn't that be enough? I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My mid-wife just asked me yesterday if I want my baby to have it and I just don't know. I have read a little but still feel clueless. We plan to leave the cord on until the placenta comes out too but I have a feeling I haven't been getting enough vitamin k these past few weeks either.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#19 of 20 Old 03-26-2005, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's unknown how much vitamin k crosses the placenta. I wouldn't count on maternal intake to improve baby's intake prenatally.

To me, it's about how comfortable you are with the risks of the baby getting Vitamin K deficiency bleeding. It's very, very rare - but you should know the numbers as well as the causes and signs before agreeing/disagreeing.
#20 of 20 Old 03-26-2005, 04:33 PM

We've opted no, mainly I feel that humans have evolved the way they have for a reason... I have a hard time accepting that every human baby is born with a deficiency that needs treatment.

we'll change our position if there is some sort of birth trauma or a reason to consider otherwise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page