water retention! Where did my ankles go? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ugh, this is the worst part of pregnancy. It's not just my ankles, my fingers and legs are all swollen too! I drink lots of water and watch my salt. It seems as though the warm weather is affecting me too. Anyone have suggestions?

deanna
#2 of 6 Old 03-19-2005, 12:50 AM

Well, first off I don't believe in "watching your salt". Read what it says about it here: www.blueribbonbaby.org

That site and other articles and books I have read convinced me and I have not had a problem with swelling at all until just about a week or so ago and it isn't bad. I only swell when I work TOO much other than that I don't swell at all. So I really am not buying the whole salt causes swelling bit and feel good about my decision to make sure and keep salt in my diet every day.

And when I do too much and swell a bit making sure my feet are cool (well, and the rest of me for that matter, cool wash cloths are nice) and elevated for a good while makes it go down for me. That is all the advice I have, I hope it helps you some!

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#3 of 6 Old 03-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Dd was born in early August. I was swollen in hands and feet for a good 3 weeks at the end of that pregnancy and I think it was mostly heat related (maybe salt was an issue, but I didn't become aware of that until I started talking to my MW about this pregnancy). Anyway, the only things that helped are exactly what sarajane suggested: staying cool and keeping my feet elevated. With dd I was working full time, so I had to make good use of all my breaks for putting my feet up and having small snacks -- this came out about every 2-3 hours.

Now that I'm approaching week 36, I've begun to notice my feet swelling at work. So up they've been going when I can. I work part time, but I'm still here at least 6 hours, plus I have an hour commute each way so it's still a long day.
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2005, 11:05 PM

you know the bones on the inside of your ankles? i can barely see mine anymore. today is the worst. the weather is warmer and i've been busy the last few days. i think it's resulted in some swollen ankles. it's not attractive.
#5 of 6 Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 AM

Can you get your feet way up while you're sleeping? I've found it helps so much!
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 05:20 PM

i can officially join the " NO ANKLES ALLOWED" club now. as of this weekend mine are a thing of the past. i have horrible pitting edema from my feet to the middle of my calves. some of my shoes refuse to fit too, how rude!!!!! this always happens to me at the end of my pregnancies. i was really hoping it wouldn't happen this time because i'm eatting more protein, drinking tons of water, and living in a cooler climate this time around. oh well, no such luck.

hang in there!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page