Fluff thread: Baby's first diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahhh, the things one obsesses about in the last few weeks

Anyone else over-thinking what your baby's first diaper will be? With my ds, I was more than happy to slap a prefold and Bummis cover on him...but I'm seriously obsessing over it this time. I have a beautiful newborn tie-dyed Sugar Plum Baby fitted that is on the way to me now, but I've also been eyeing some of the smaller-than-usual Sugarpeas sidesnapping dipes that are going around right now. Other than these few and some diapers I've sewn myself, all of our stash is used, so I don't feel too bad splurging a bit.

I don't want to be exclusive here, either, so sorry that I'm assuming everyone will use cloth. Just want something to occupy my mind, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 01:19 AM

I bought a special 'wizard' diaper. One of our few WAHM diapers. It's super cute and really tiny. I'm sure it's not going to last more than a week or 2 but I just couldn't resist! We Harry Potter so thought we'd start our little one out on a literary life by dressing them in a wizard diaper first off (it has wizard hats and wands on it)

I've also just finished dyeing our prefolds so they'll be a bit more fun... We now have red, purple, turquoise, blue, pink and yellow diapers. They'll probably fade since I didn't shell out for the really expensive dye... I just picked up the dylon cold dye that they sell everywhere (thought the cold dye should hold up for a bit) for now though, they look really great and make both of us happy!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:57 AM

I am going to CD but since I'm giving birth in a hospital I had assumed I'd just let them put a sposie on her until we got home. : Now for her trip home I have a lavendar fuzzi bunz that will match her going home outfit. Does that count? I just couldn't see hauling them there and back with us.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm bringing a bunch of WAHM fitteds w/my to the hospital. The first ones she'll wear are Itty Bitty Buns by diaperbabies.com. The reason being is that they are SO TINY. I mean, ITTY BITTY. I can't see them being worn for very long, LOL. She'll come home in a yellow fleece Angel Wraps QD AIO w/bugs on the tabs that I made for her
Old 04-03-2005, 12:11 PM

I've got a Kissaluvs size 0 for the trip home and just a bummis cover. Not fancy but the fact that we'll actually be putting baby in cloth this time makes me so happy that I don't mind!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:55 PM

I've got my bag packed for the hospital with more diapers then anything else!

I think I'm going to put her in a Very Baby Basic AIO (made by me) for the CD challenged nurses for that first clean up, but I just can't think about what color yet. I'm taking all different types like aios, covers, and fitteds about 30 total just in case
Old 04-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cuddlebuns. We have a slew of them and baby and big sister can both wear the one-sizes (8-40 lbs), with covers that I've made over the last 2 years. Keepin' it simple!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:05 AM

Uh . . .a 'sposie! I KNOW my personality and I'll just be too tired to care. I didn't CD my DD as a newborn, so I'll still be learning.

After that, though, it'll be CPFs and wool covers for home and whatever fits under clothes while out (probably nylon pull ons). I went through such a CD craze and then realized that I CPFs. I sold almost everything else, minus some hemp fitteds.

Now if only I can get a grip on my buying baby carriers habit . . .I keep thinking that wraps are the BW equivalent to CPFs, so I should just stick to those! (But of course, I won't!)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM

:LOL

I am totally obsessing about this!

I have about 36 very baby semi fitteds ( they're fitteds but with no closures)
a small diapernbabies diaper in yellow sherpa with an umbilical cut out
2 really awesome NB muttaqins with OV inners
1 FCB 0 in a lime print on its way ...

and way too many others to list ... but I have NO idea which one should be first!!! I guess I should make one for the occassion?

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 AM

I have no clue. I tend to think that in the moment I won't care too much even though I really want it to be one of her kissaluvs dipes. My mid-wife and her assistant insist that the baby's first poos for the first few days won't wash out of cloth and have encouraged me on more than one occasion to get sposies for then. I just happen to have a package from my baby shower that the local Wal-mart wouldn't take back with all the other sposie returns. I opened them yesterday and was like "YUCK!". I looked at it and looked at it and thought "this is a diaper?" After all these weeks of looking at her kissaluvs sitting on the shelf those sposie things don't even seem like they can work to me, LOL.

I barely remember putting sposies on my neices and nephews when they were in them. Looking at them now they are just so papery and thin and rough ..... I'm glad I'm doing cloth!

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 AM

I'm thinking about a lime kissuluv size 0 with a wool nikki newborn wrap. I'm excited becasue I've never used a fitted diaper before and they are just so darn cute. Ds started wearing prefolds and wool at about 4 days old and we never looked back at sposies! Good luck to all the new mamas trying out cloth for the first time, its so fun
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajane
My mid-wife and her assistant insist that the baby's first poos for the first few days won't wash out of cloth and have encouraged me on more than one occasion to get sposies for then.
Why do they care? This is something I just don't get. So what if the diaper stains..... it's not the end of the known universe, ROFL. I'd much rather end up w/a stained diaper than that icky scratchy paper/plastic next to newborn skin.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 PM

Snappied prefold and one of my homemade wool flannel covers (I made 12!).

I was actually a bit worried about this because I'm thinking it will be my dh or one of the WM who puts on baby's first diaper but both of my MW tell me that they've used prefolds on their kids, so I guess they can figure out the snappi thing. My dh does ok with a snappi but can't get as snug a fit as I can.

Hopefully I'll get to do it though Do nb's need to be diapered right away or can they just be wrapped up in a blankie until I'm able to do this myself?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like there will be some nicely diapered babies in the near future

Quote:
Do nb's need to be diapered right away or can they just be wrapped up in a blankie until I'm able to do this myself?
I think it depends on the newborn...but diapering was definately not an immediate concern with my ds . I think we put a diaper on him around an hour old, but he was several hours old before he did anything in it. OTOH, I've heard of newborns peeing/pooping immediately after birth.

Oh, and re: meconium --- I didn't have any issues with staining from it at all. There have been a couple of threads in Diapering recently about it and it sounds like everyone hears horror stories, but nobody actually gets stains...
Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 AM

Two questions . . .
(1) Do I need new Snappis? My friend said she did since her used ones (used for her now-toddler) were stretched out too far for a newborn.
(2) My friend said she's getting tons of stains (never did with her DS, but didn't CD him until 8 months). Why would this be? We thought newborn poo washed right out . . .and she does soak in cold beforehand.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
Two questions . . .
(1) Do I need new Snappis? My friend said she did since her used ones (used for her now-toddler) were stretched out too far for a newborn.
(2) My friend said she's getting tons of stains (never did with her DS, but didn't CD him until 8 months). Why would this be? We thought newborn poo washed right out . . .and she does soak in cold beforehand.
I started dd1 at 2 mo and got tons of bright yellow bf poo stains but they sunned right out or washed out over time. Now that toddler blueberry/avacado poo stains, whole 'nother story!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 PM

I've packed several dipes, since I'm not sure what'll fit. I have a little NB alien print fitted with matching stripe cover (if anyone knows the maker, LMK!). In case he's too big (Ds weighed 9#5oz, DH 10# 8), I have a Texas Bluebonnet AI2 . THey're all here.
I also packed some infant CPFs and some kissaluvs.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
it sounds like everyone hears horror stories, but nobody actually gets stains...
Yeah, I keep hearing that it is fine on here. My mw and assistant don't believe it though. They say they have seen alot of meconium and it is very sticky stuff. They both cloth diapered their kids and one still is. I guess it is just personal preference and every babies meconium must be different. ??

I don't think I will worry about it that night. I need my kissaluvs to keep their resell value. We don't have much and I only bought kissaluvs instead of only prefolds because they seem to resell so well.

Quote:
Why do they care?
I don't know why they care what I put her in. I think they just wanted me to be aware of the possibility of stains.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM

You could buy some cheap fleece at the fabric store, and cut it into liners. It doesn't even need to be sewn. THat would keep any stains off.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 AM

Good idea, thanks.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 PM

i don't recall if we ever had serious stains from meconium, but we had a lot of stains from the runny yellow breast milk poops.

this time around i JUST switched to cloth today. julianna is 2 weeks old tomorrow, and about a week before she was born i started to freak about having two in dipes, and having three kids under the age of 4, and having 2 flights of stairs to go down and up just to do a load of laundry. so, we bought some newborn sposies and some huggies for my almost 2yo, and we used them till they ran out, which was today.

julianna wore preemie prefolds today with a velcro wrap all of our fitteds are still way too big. with both of my other girls we used prefolds for about the first 6 weeks till they got big enough for the small dipes we had.

User Tag List