is there such thing as too many baby carriers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went a little crazy and now I have five different baby carriers, 2 WHAM slings, a kelty kangaroo, snugli front and back pack, and an Amazing Baby water carrier.

I need all these right? I definately need the water carrier for the shower because baby will need to shower with me and DD at the gym. The kelty was a thrift store score that I couldn't turn down, I want the snugli for that stage when baby is too big for front pack but not quite strong enough to sit comfortably in a frame pack, and I don't really like slings but want to have a few JIC this baby loves them.
#2 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 PM

OOH OOOH OOOH! Tell me more about the Amazing Baby Water carrier!!! Sounds like something we will need as we don't have a tub or very large sink to give the baby baths in.

TIA,
Susan
#3 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too many? I think not.
#4 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 01:30 PM

LOL :LOL

I have the same problem. I've got a maya wrap, two pouches (one for me and one for my husband), and now a mesh sling for the shower (from Kangaroo Korner).

And I still don't think I have enough! I've got my eye on a fleece pouch from Kangaroo Korner...
#5 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Can you tell us more about the water carrier. I honestly don't understand the concept (of course maybe I don't know the concept, ROFL). But, if I'm in the shower.... w/a baby in a sling.... how can I not get shampoo/soap all over the baby? I'd be afraid of getting that stuff in their eyes, etc. Also, I personally love the shower (of course, I haven't had one alone in a few years, LOL) and would feel constricted having to sling a baby while showering. My dd sat in a bouncy outside the tub when she was tiny... then I think I moved her to the saucer. Then she started showering with me (playing on the floor) and we've been doing that for the past 2 years.

Sorry to go OT.... I'm just curious....
#6 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 02:58 PM

First off, is there such a thing as too much chocolate...? I think the same answer applies. :LOL

Second, I'd like to also know more about the water sling. We don't have a tub and eventually I will probably have to shower with this baby and dd. (Will we all fit? ) Not to mention, I plan on spending sometime at my mom's pool and the beach. So I'm really interested in learning about ease of use because all I've ever had are wraps and pouches.

As for physically washing your hair, I imagine you'd just have to be more conscious about which way you're rinsing and such --like keeping the water flow more toward your back and having the water rinse down rather than over your shoulders (if that makes sense).

I was only able to get a new stretchy wrap from Mama Kangaroo, but I'm getting eager to try it out! Wraps worked very well for dd. If not, I still have my new native pouch.
#7 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM

LOL, doesn't sound like too many to me either! You never know what will work best for you and the babe...and this way, you can try them all and weed through them if some of them don't work so well.

I have a embarrasingly large collection too...three ring slings, a homemade ABC, a podeagi, an onbuhimo, two adjustable pouches...geez! And I'm lusting after more. Just keep telling yourself that the nicer ones hold their value well
#8 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you tell us more about the water carrier. I honestly don't understand the concept (of course maybe I don't know the concept, ROFL). But, if I'm in the shower.... w/a baby in a sling.... how can I not get shampoo/soap all over the baby? I'd be afraid of getting that stuff in their eyes, etc. Also, I personally love the shower (of course, I haven't had one alone in a few years, LOL) and would feel constricted having to sling a baby while showering. My dd sat in a bouncy outside the tub when she was tiny... then I think I moved her to the saucer. Then she started showering with me (playing on the floor) and we've been doing that for the past 2 years.
http://www.amazingbaby.com/index.cfm...&category_id=3

Here's link to the Amazing baby water carrier. I live in a log cabin w/o running water (it's an Alaska thing, lol) so we do all our showering at the gym. I've gotta have some way to keep baby happy while dd and I shower and this seemed like it might work. Not sure about the shampoo, I'll just have to be creative about how I rinse it out I guess
#9 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
I live in a log cabin w/o running water (it's an Alaska thing, lol) so we do all our showering at the gym.
WOW! Talk about a pioneer woman! :LOL
#10 of 14 Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
WOW! Talk about a pioneer woman! :LOL
Funny :LOL, actually I'm far from being a pioneer woman, I work as a computer geek and spoil myself shamelessly with wireless internet and silly electronic gadgets like waterproof mp3 players.

No running is pretty common up here, no water makes life simpler when the temp is -40 F. One of my neighbors has twice paid $5000-$1000 to have their plumbing overhauled after their pipes have frozen mid winter.
#11 of 14 Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Simone that sounds amazing, I'd love to see photos of where you live some day...

Now I'm drooling ...we haven't yet purchased any of our slings : I guess we'd better get on to that! We were planning on getting a maya wrap and a mesh water sling like you describe... not sure what else though....

Looking forward to looking like this : or this soon!
#12 of 14 Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Carriers are soooo addictive, aren't they?

I *just* got our Kangaroo Korner AFP and already have my sights set on a Kozy Karrier for carrier #2. We also plan to do a wrap-style of some sort once our little guy is less floppy! His due date was yesterday but he's five weeks old today (wow!!!) and given the amount he's eating these past few days I think we're in for a major growth spurt.
#13 of 14 Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
Second, I'd like to also know more about the water sling. We don't have a tub and eventually I will probably have to shower with this baby and dd. (Will we all fit? ) Not to mention, I plan on spending sometime at my mom's pool and the beach. So I'm really interested in learning about ease of use because all I've ever had are wraps and pouches.
This is the water sling that I bought: http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop...ded_mesh.shtml

I don't know anything about how well it will work yet because this is my first child, but I'll let you know once I try it! The picture on the webpage shows the baby worn facing the mom with the sling pulled up over the back of the head. My directions say that this is a good position for minimizing shower splash.
#14 of 14 Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 PM

:LOL Uh, NO. You can NEVER have too many carriers.

I have:

Pouches
New Native (going to donate)
Hotslings
Homemade by a friend (going to donate)
Mom and Me
KKAFP (sold this one)

Ring Slings
Maya Wrap (going to donate)
Tentoes (might donate)
EllaRoo LP (might donate)
Wise Woman hybrid sling/pouch
Sachi (on the way)

Wraps
EllaRoo
HaB

Mei Tais
Homemade by a friend (going to donate)
pack-pack
Sachi
Kozy (<--- my favorite for a toddler, we'll see about an infant)
Freehand

Other
Lovewrap podeigi
Baby Trekker

There. Doesn't everyone feel better? :LOL And believe me, my collection is NOTHING compared to some people, so shop away! If anyone needs any enabling, you've come to the right place.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page