I'm a first-time mom hoping some of you experienced mamas can help me.
Although I'm not due until April 30, I had an incident over the weekend (possible amniotic fluid leakage that turned out to be something else) that led my midwife to believe that we needed to induce naturally within 72 hrs or face a hospital birth. I leaked on Friday, had bloody show on Saturday, and experienced irregular contractions throughout the weekend and this week. (Also had bloody show again yesterday.)
Thankfully, the hosptial birth is not an issue right now. Baby and I are healthy, and we have the go-ahead to wait until active labor starts on its own. My question concerns strength of contractions and when to call the midwife.
I've read the books and talked to my midwife and know that the general guideline is to call when contractions are 5 min. apart, lasting 60 sec. or more, and strong enough that you can't walk or talk through them. (My midwife actually wants me to call when they're as far as 15-20 min. apart for the heads-up.)
However, with these irregular contractions, which have been either weak or moderately strong, I think I'm just learning to ignore them! I don't want to face the psychological ups and downs of thinking active labor has started when it hasn't (VERY stressful on me and dh after days of this), but I don't want to be foolish about waiting too long.
I can see from other people's birth stories that contraction length/strength before transition is pretty variable and not a one-size-fits-all type of thing. Any tips on making sure I don't wait too long to call?
I'd welcome any and all descriptions of the contractions you experienced and when you ended up calling.