breastfeeding thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 05-01-2005, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wan2bemama
I've been wondering if she's been getting enough and probably expending too much energy watching the clock and which breast my little 'boobie monster' is eating from. But she is very healthy, so I should probably just relax!

Yes, please do (relax). It will make your life so much easier & you'll probably feel less overwhelmed (not that you necessarily are). With my first I was a total clock watcher, knew when she fed last, how long, etc. This time, I just stick a boob in his mouth when he seems hungry. I literally never look at the clock, don't know when he fed last, etc. It's so much easier this way!

Sarajane - I wouldn't worry about being lopsided/making more on one side. We all have one that produces more. It may look more clear because the fuller the breast, the more diluted the fat level (meaning in an emptier breast, there is a greater % of fat in the milk). This isn't a good or bad thing, just is. I think sometimes babies prefer one side over the other because the mom is more confident on one side & they probably get more from the higher-producing side. My kids have both liked both side (no preferences), although I was pretty lopsided during my pregnancy because I'd always nurse my dd to sleep w/the right breast, and that one would get 2-3 nursings a day as opposed to the left that only got 1-2 nursings/day.

Julesmiel - I'm sorry to hear about your late night nursings. Late at night is the worst, I know I'm not my most patient in the middle of the night. Have you tried swaddling him & nursing him laying down in bed? I know this has saved me with both of mine! I swaddle Cole before bed, nurse him to sleep, and he sleeps right up against me. Then, when he wakes up to eat, I just turn him on his side & insert boob. When he's done, I just turn him on his back & he's sleeping. I'm a HUGE swaddle fan. Also... another tip. With my daughter, she would wake up if I tried to lay her down after nursing at night. So, for the first few weeks, I'd nurse her, then hand her to my dh. He'd put her on his chest (her ear over his heart) & pat her back. When she was out cold, he'd lay her between us. That helped too.

JoyAnne - no chocolate problems here (yet, LOL). Cole is pretty gassy sometimes, but I can't say it's related to anything special. Babies are so unpredictable & often are gassy, so I try not to stress about it, LOL. My dd wasn't sensitive to anything i ate/drank, so I'm hoping Cole will be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

i would die if my kids didn't leatn to nurse lying down. that is the only way i get enough sleep to get through the next day.

i swaddle and then nurse julianna on one side and we both fall asleep. when she wakes i flip her to the other side and as soon as she latches on i'm back to sleep. it works really well for us.
#33 of 51 Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 AM

For some reason we can't master the nursing laying down thing. She can't seem to keep it in her mouth that way. I don't have a problem with getting up every few hours but it's the nursing every 20 minutes all night that has almost killed me. She did it again 2 nights ago and I even tried to give a bottle. She wouldn't take it. But I kept thinking, I can't live like this.

Last night was much better. I keep telling myself that she is still new and we will get it. But it is frustrating b/c it is all I ever do (nurse) and I feel like my other children are getting the shaft sometimes. Not to mention the fact that my dh barely even gets to hold Leah b/c she is always nursing.

Sorry for the vent.
#34 of 51 Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajane
The milk is just literally pouring out of the left breast by her next feeding.
I've been wondering about this pouring milk thing. My instinct is not to block the flow of milk. I hate bras anyhow, so I just walk around the house in loose cotton shirts, which occasionally get soaked. I think I also read somewhere that blocking the flow of milk from the opposite breast during a feeding could cause a plugged duct during the first couple of weeks, so to just let it flow.

Right now, however, I'm wearing a bra and pads because Dmitri is in the sling and I don't want to get it soaked. :LOL Any mamas out there knowledgable about blocking vs. not blocking?

Jesse, welcome back, and congrats to you, Beth and Annie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan2bemama
sorry I've been missing from the boards, we've had lots of guests and when I have time I tend to sleep, tidy or gaze at our beautiful Annie.
I hear ya. We had family in town for six days and are just decompressing now. Babygazing and sleeping are our new favorite hobbies!

Quote:
I've been using cross-cradle and football holds with my new nursing pillow. But about 50% of the time she fusses & fusses and can't get on and it takes 10-15 min. to get her latched. I worry that this is mostly because I'm not very coordinated & manually dextrous so I don't have her in the right position nor do I squeeze my areola the right way. It seems worse in the middle of the night when I'm very sleepy!
I use those holds, too. The cross-cradle works best on my most comfortable side, and the football is great on my awkward side. I do wonder about only one side of Dmitri's neck getting developed, though. I'm gradually introducing different positions on different sides as I feel more comfortable.

That manual dexterity thing is finally kicking in for me (Dmitri is 11 days old today), and we have far fewer fussy latches, so hang in there! It gets better fast. I find that the advice to squeeze your breast well back of the areola at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock (as if there's a dial on your breast) is very helpful. I also noticed that if my breast is pretty full, I may think I'm squeezing, but I can always squeeze a bit more and that makes the latch better.

Quote:
I've been wondering if she's been getting enough and probably expending too much energy watching the clock and which breast my little 'boobie monster' is eating from. But she is very healthy, so I should probably just relax!
Joe and I went through this phase about day 3 through day 7. We wrote everything down meticulously, just to reassure ourselves and to see if Dmitri had any patterns. It was actually helpful in letting us work through our anxieties. Seeing the number of feedings and wet dipes was reassuring because we tended to underestimate before. By the time we were ready to let it go on Saturday, we were much more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula
Julesmiel - I'm sorry to hear about your late night nursings. Late at night is the worst, I know I'm not my most patient in the middle of the night.
Glad you're on this thread, Amy! You're always so reassuring. We actually doing pretty well, though. Dmitri appears to like to wake twice during the night and feed for a couple of hours straight each time. During one session last night I think he emptied alternating breasts seven times! Each time he fell asleep at the breat and came off, got burped, sat for a minute and decided that he still wanted more. I was getting nervous toward that end that his tummy couldn't hold that much, but no spitting up or tummy problems. I was still able to get 5-6 hours of sleep last night. I'm trying to go to bed early.

Quote:
Have you tried swaddling him & nursing him laying down in bed? I know this has saved me with both of mine!
I think we'll catch on to this pretty soon. We have nursed in the side-lying position twice on the left. Haven't gotten the hang of it on the right yet. Also, I'm watching the latch so I need to have the light on when I do this. Part of what was causing late night anxiety was that I so much wanted my husband Joe to grab a couple of hours of sleep when he can, and I felt upset that I was disturbing his rest. (He's been a very involved papa and missing sleep just as much as I have been.)

The situation improved when I moved the main nursing station from the bed to the futon that we use as a couch in our living room. Something about the angle is good for my back, and Joe can snooze in darkness when I have a long nighttime session now. One of my goals for today is to practice side lying during the day so we can become old hands at it. Wrapping the baby is a good idea, too! One other problem with side-lying -- it's much harder when the breast is full, as it is at the beginning of a nighttime feeding.

Quote:
So, for the first few weeks, I'd nurse her, then hand her to my dh. He'd put her on his chest (her ear over his heart) & pat her back. When she was out cold, he'd lay her between us. That helped too.
Joe has been a saint in this regard. In fact, he has been Dmitri's major sleeping companion. He's also the one who recognized in the early days that Dmitri would sleep much better on him than between us. Now he's secure enough to sleep between us, too. I'm so thankful for his help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3babiesin2years
I don't have a problem with getting up every few hours but it's the nursing every 20 minutes all night that has almost killed me. She did it again 2 nights ago and I even tried to give a bottle. She wouldn't take it. But I kept thinking, I can't live like this.
Just wanted to say that I know the feeling, Audrey! One thing that has helped is that now I'm coordinated enough to take a drink, read and operate the remote control while I'm nursing. This helps me through those late night sessions a little better now. Hope it gets better for you soon!
#35 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 07:19 AM

We've had a hard BF road this time!

With DD1, I had pain from her bad latch (VERY hard to get her to open wide). I had pain for about 2 months but she gained well and all was good.

Now, this little DD is a different story. Her latch was great from the start. My milk came in really fast, and I thought all was fine. But, she wasn't gaining quickly, even with tons of pee/poo dipes. She wasn't losing, but the gain was minimal.

So, I started realizing how quickly she fell asleep-- sometimes after just a few sucks. I nursed her all day though, so she stayed hydrated but wasn't getting hindmilk (I didn't realize this at first). I tried everything to wake her during feedings without success.

In the meantime, w/o realizing it my supply was dwindling. I saw an LC and starting a big pumping routine w/ a Lactina. We fed DD what I pumped in a bottle. She continued to latch on well without doing much else.

Since my supply was low, the EBM wasn't enough. We had to give her some formula a few times a day. I will NEVER criticize formula again!

Since starting to bottlefeed EBM and formula, DD started gaining really well. But, I was at a loss as to how to get her to actually NURSE. I feared she'd never learn-- I don't think I'd know how to parent without being able to BF!

I saw another LC. She didn't give me any new info, but thought DD would learn to nurse soon. I wasn't so sure.

Yesterday, Mother's Day, I was a mess. I was crying off and on, exhausted from the constant pumping and elaborate feeding rituals (nursing for 30-40 min., bottlefeeding for 20, then pumping for 15 minutes). And I kept thinking . . .maybe DD just won't get it.

I started using a Haberman Feeder to encourage her to suck consistently.

Today, by some MIRACLE (a belated Mother's Day present) DD has started nursing well! We still gave her a few bottles of EBM and 1 of formula, but for the 1st time she has been mostly getting her milk direct from the tap. I still feel anxious while nursing (which I need to stop!) because I am listening to intently for the gulping/swallowing, but I feel MUCH BETTER.

I can't even tell you what a feeling of bliss I have. I will never, ever, EVER take BF for granted.

For those of you with BF issues, this is a great group:MOBI Mothers with Breastfeeding Issues
For pumping issues: PumpMoms

This experience has taught me so much . . .and I don't think I will ever judge a FF again.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#36 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Elana, So glad to hear that things are going better! Your'e a strong mama
#37 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 03:47 PM

Elana-

Congratulations- you must be so happy and oh so relieved. This is my first child- and already (six whole weeks in) I am really grateful for so many things- and you are so right, BF is one of them.

I am still really conflicted about using a pacifier. I went so far as to buy one yesterday, but it isn't opened or boiled yet! My DS sucks on my pinky for long periods after nursing, which is great as he isn't choking on my milk, crying in frustration, waking himself back up, or even spitting up very much anymore. So what is really the difference in a paci or my pinky- I am not going to sit him in a bouncy chair with a paci for six hours a day or anything, but then I feel like I shouldn't even open that door, you know? If we never use it, we will survive I am quite sure, and we won't know what we are missing. But it would be great to be able to use that hand, or use it in the car...

Anyone have sage advice
#38 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 04:23 PM

My ds was a huge boob junky and I ende dup using a pacifier for times like in the car or once in a while to keep him asleep a little longer or so I could go to the bathroom! He used it until he was about 4 or 5 months and then we just didn't need it so much anymore. He never got "addicted" to it or anything (he's still addicted to the boob though LOL!)
#39 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

elena, wow! i am so glad that things are better and that your nursing issues seem to have resolved themselves that's great news!!!
#40 of 51 Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks, mamas! We're not out of the woods yet, as DD is still inconsistent. But, any progress is very hopeful to me, and we are not out of options. At least she's healthy now!

Joy, we used a paci with DD1. She'd get mad if milk came out when she just wanted to suck. It was GREAT for the car and such. However, at 6 months she took it out and never went back. I didn't appreciate it before then-- that was the end of my sleep as she'd want to nurse every 20 min. at that age! My friend has a supply like yours and she has to use her pinky since DS won't take the paci. I think that's the kind of situation that the paci was meant for!

#41 of 51 Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Elena, I am so happy things are going better. I know that terror of thinking you might not be able to bf. It WILL get better!!!

Joy, please don't beat yourself up. Use the paci. It's not demon spawn, won't turn your baby into a serial killer..... but you may be able to have a bit of sanity Oh, and I think the inventor of the vibrating bouncy seat should get a Nobel Peace Prize, LOL. That silly seat lets me eat my toast with two hands... and sometimes I can even pee by MYSELF, ROFL. I think as mothers we make ourselves CRAZY trying to do everything the perfect way, the natural way, the best way. But, you know what? We all live in the real world & it's not perfect. We all have to do what is BEST for US. Your baby sucking on a plastic nipple for a few minutes a day is not going to wreck him for life. I didn't use one w/my dd (she didn't bf well at first, then wouldn't take one). But I remember at 5mo trying to get her to take one, LOL. This time, my ds will take one occasionally for a few mintues after nursing. Hey, if it makes him happy & his needs are met, why not?
#42 of 51 Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks, Amy! Things aren't going as well as Monday . . .I ordered the Lact-Aid system today. My friend and I are going to experiment. Her let down is super strong, so we're going to let DD nurse from her and see if she'll get sucking consistently (it's that or be flooded). On the other hand, her son needs to suck all day and spits up tons. We need to switch babies!

#43 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 AM

hey everyone. i'm so glad to be able to come post here about our breastfeeding woes.

lydia is 6 weeks old yesterday. last week our doctor clippled her frenulum (that thing under your tongue) because she was tongue tied (at least she was really close to it). she'd been hurting me when nursing for those first 5 weeks despite seeing and calling a LC several times. well, things have gone from bad to worse. i hurt so bad. i had actually stopped taking advil every day for the pain, but last night started taking it again. i'm so tired of my nipples being this sore. it makes procrastinate feeding her when she's hungry because i just dread the pain so much. also, because i have to expose my whole breast when latching her on and she screams when i latch her on the right way because she doesn't like it i'm stuck either having to stay home or only going places where i'm comfortable getting half undressed to feed my baby!

what if it never gets better? rationally i know it will get better, but it sure doesn't feel that way right now. plus, i think she's hit her 6 week growth spurt and is nursing every hour or so. she did give me a 4 hour break from 11:30pm-3:30am, thankfully. but it wasn't long enough to heal my poor nipples.

my heart goes out to the rest of you with breastfeeding problems. it SUCKS!! (pun intended :LOL )
#44 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 06:43 PM

:

This morning when Julie was latching onto "Lefty Loosey" (as opposed to Righty Tighty) she evidently caught an extra piece of my areola in with the nipple and OH MY GOD did that hurt. I immediately de-latched her but I am still very sore hours later and there is a small bruise in that spot.

There is no way I could nurse her on that side right now, I'm thinking it might be a few feedings before I can go back to the left side without excruciating pain and stress. Is it OK to skip a few feedings on that side? Am I going to end up terribly lopsided? I'm expecting some engorgement on the left but think I can deal with that, I'm just afraid to upset the whole booby balance.

Any ideas??? And suggestions for keeping that from happening again?

TIA ladies,
#45 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 06:54 PM

Aprildawn - I'm sorry things have gotten worse. Have you met w/the LC since it was clipped? Have you tried soothing gel pads? I know Ameda makes some & there is another brand called Soothies. I've heard that they heal sore nipples even faster than Lansioh & air & bm. The Ameda ones (I think they're called Soothing Gel Pads or something like that) come 2 pairs to a package & are good for 6 days a pair. You can put them in the fridge while the baby is feeding & then they're nice & chilly when you put them on.

Susan - ack! I think you're fine skipping a feeding, but if you do more than that, you might want to pump that side because you'll probably be really uncomfortable & full. You'll only be temporarily lopsided unless you continually favor 1 breast. I'd try other positions w/that breast too.... maybe lay down or football.... Or even lay her down on her back on the bed & lean over her w/her bottom lip near your head. The bottom lip/jaw is where they suck the hardest. I'm not sure how to stop it from happening again, since it sounds like a freak breastfeeding accident, ROFL I hope it feels better soon... maybe some ice or a cool cloth would help.
#46 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM

ctdoula, thanks for the advice, yes it was a lower lip thing freak breastfeeding accident (funny) so I think trying football hold next time might work. I'm going to try to put some ice on it for a bit and maybe take some Advil, then give it a go at the next feeding.
#47 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknitter
maybe take some Advil, then give it a go at the next feeding.
advil has been saving my life these days. i wish i could go a day w/o taking it. well, i did a few days after we had lydia's tongue clipped, but then things went downhill and started hurting again. i even have a serious blister on one side.

ctdoula -- thanks for the reminder about the cold packs. i used them the first few weeks but had forgotten about them. think i'll be running back out for more tomorrow.
#48 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Aprildawn, so sorry about the pain! I remember having that with DD for 2 months. It was horrible! I LOVED Soothies back then!

Susan, I agree with Amy-- take a rest on that side but pump!

#49 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM

BFing is going well for me but I went through some major engourgement for the first week. I had to resort to cabage leaves and took a sudafed because I started to feel feaverish and was worried that I might be on the verge of mastitis.

It's better now but my boobs are way obscenely huge and I had to spend $100 on new bra's (34 G). I'm checking the mail daily because I feel like a freak going out in public with a tight fitting shirt (aka any normal sized t shirt)and boobs that are bulging out of my bra. Dh finds this all terribly amusing, lol.

Anyway none of this really is a big deal compared to what many of you are struggling with. I'm sending you good bfing vibes.

One thing that helped during my toddler nursing-sore nipple days is to take some high quality acidophilous.
#50 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Happy to report that the football hold worked GREAT to get her back on the left without any agony. It was a bit messy as she was leaking out the side of her mouth a bit, but hey not complaining!

This is an adventure every day! So glad to have you guys here to "talk" to about all this stuff!
#51 of 51 Old 05-13-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

well, we aren't having any "real" issues. nothing like what some of you are having to figure out. hugs to everyone who is having real nursing issues.

my two biggies were/are: 1. dd is a spitter. my first two never spit up, ever. #3 on the otherhand spits constantly. after every single feeding. sometimes it just a little and sometimes it is a considerable amount that covers everything and never seems to end. sometimes it digested and sometimes it's not. she is growing so i am not too concerned, but it is driving me up the wall because of the mess. i pretty much stick to one boob per nursing session, i don't really know if it's making a difference though cause she is still spitting up, but maybe she's spitting less breastmilk up? who knows. i am definitely NOT going to buy any new clothes until she's a year old though LOL. and

2. i was having a really hard time at night, emotionally, getting her to fall asleep while i was falling asleep. i have been irriatable and sick and after she was done eatting she was sucking very lightly on my nipple and it was driving me nuts and actually causing a feeling of anger. so, this past week i stopped trying to fall asleep while she was nursing to sleep for the night. i have started our nighttime routine earlier and i nurse her to sleep or within seconds of sleep and then i put her down and then i fall asleep next to her. so, this week i am feeling much better and instead of falling asleep angry i am falling asleep peacefully

that's about it for us. i think dd#3 is going to be my fastest growing child. i'm not sure how much she weighs but i'd suspect she's gained at least 2 lbs and it took my other two MONTHS to gain 2 lbs LOL..............

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page