Which baby carriers are you using? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 favorites at this point . . .my stretchy wraps (I have a Hug a Bub and a Moby-- I prefer the cheaper Moby!) and my beloved Sachi ring sling . The fanned shoulder on the sling is just HEAVEN. I prefer the comfort of the wrap but since I want DD to nurse often and for long periods I tend to use the ring sling.

Poor DD1, though . . .she keeps asking me when I'm going to carry her again in the sling (well, we only use MTs for her). I think I feel healed enough to start again!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#2 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM

I am a dedicated Maya Wrap user. Really, I have tried other kinds, but I just like it better. Maybe because I am darn good at it and I don't like having to start from scratch with a new carrier :LOL I am just not up for learning something new even though I love the idea of a wrap. My oldest lived in my first one (he even slept in it still attached to me) until he started walking. I used it to carry him when he was tired till my 2nd ds was 4 or 5 months old and I couldn't physically carry them both for very long (they are big boys) anymore. I need to get my extra one back from my friend so that I can wear ds2 and dd at the same time. Ds2 is somewhat jealous of "his" sling being used for his sister.

#3 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM

I have a beautiful ABC sling that doesn't seem cozy yet- I like it for a bigger baby.

I have a hotsling that I like, but isn't as easy to nurse in as...

A maya wrap sling I'm using pretty much exclusively right now.
#4 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 PM

my favorite is an OLD (one of her first models i think) black fleece hotsling, which i am going to have to stop using soon - it's in the 70s here today!

i have been using my maya, which i am having a harder time with than the pouch-style. i can't quite get o. where he needs to be to nurse in the sling. with my daughter, i didn't get a sling until after she stopped nursing and was sitting in the hip carry almost exclusively, so i have no experience with adjustable slings and little tiny ones!
#5 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
I have a hotsling that I like, but isn't as easy to nurse in as...

A maya wrap sling I'm using pretty much exclusively right now.
isn't it funny how we are having completely oppposite experiences! what are you doing to get the maya to work for you?
#6 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 09:49 PM

i use a kissasling and a kozy carrier ( i have 2). i used the kissasling exclusively with my middle dd. my oldest used the baby bjorn till i was too big (preggo wise) to carry her on my front, then we switched to the kissasling.

i didn't get the kozy carrier until my middle dd was several months old, so i had no experience with a nb in it. dd doesn't seem to LOVE it as much as the kissasling, but she does ok in it. i've been wanting to try a pouch, perhaps i still will...............
#7 of 30 Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I loved the Maya. I have one and I tried it again yesterday, but it was so uncomfortable compared to the fanned shoulder of the Sachi.

danaalex, I keep trying my MTs with DD, too but she is just too wobbly for them IMO. I think when she's 2 months old they'll work better.

FreeRange, I think a mei tai would work well for you! That way you get most of the benefits of a wrap with a VERY LOW learning curve. But maybe I'm weak . . .I just get tired with one shoulder carriers for the most part.

#8 of 30 Old 05-11-2005, 10:36 AM

Moby wrap... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9 of 30 Old 05-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~emmasmom
isn't it funny how we are having completely oppposite experiences! what are you doing to get the maya to work for you?
It is funny! I'm sure maternal size and shape plays a role as well.

I put the Maya's hoop as far up on my shoulder as is comfortable. Make sure it is fanned and cupping my shoulder. Then I put the baby in so her head is just a few inches below the hoop and tighten it until her head is right at breast level. I also pull the inner fabric down so her inner arm can go out of the sling (under my arm) a little like it would if I were holding her in the cradle hold w/o the sling.

How are you situating the pouch?
#10 of 30 Old 05-11-2005, 11:23 AM

LOVING the ergo baby carrier. Great for long walks (25lb baby), doing dishes with fussy baby, etc. Looks great on mom and dad, and really easy to adjust back and forth from our different sizes.
#11 of 30 Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 PM

We were given the "Infantino" carrier (from Target I think) as a gift and it is working great, super for shopping and walking with baby and dog(s). I also have two slings hand-me-down from a friend that I have not tried yet.
#12 of 30 Old 05-11-2005, 02:32 PM

We three (Annie, dw and I) are enjoying our Maya wrap very much. She falls asleep in it almost instantly & enjoys it as long as we're moving (although with the hot days we've had recently we're a bit concerned about overheating her in there!). Keeping the shoulder strap wide seems to be key to comfort--though after a 20-30 min. walk, it does get a bit uncomfortable. We'll probably also try a mesh sling for swimming this summer....
#13 of 30 Old 05-12-2005, 05:59 PM

None of them, my baby just wants to sleep in her bucket
#14 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM

we have a bjorn that gets used every day. usually for walks or when we're out and about.

i sewed a ring sling before dd2 was born. i can't figure the derned thing out. don't like it one bit. it's uncomfortable and dd2 seems to despise being in it anyway. maybe it's because it's homemade or something. i used maya wrap's patter from their site.

i'm waiting (impatiently i might add) for the sachi mei tai i ordered two weeks ago. i think we'll really enjoy that. the bjorn isn't as comfortable as i thought it would be.

kind off topic, but, honestly, i don't really like to wear dd2 all day. i'm one of those people who needs a lot of personal space. between dd2 nursing, sleeping next to me, and needing to be held/worn a lot and dd1 climbing all over me all day like i'm some sort of jungle gym i just really want dd2 to sleep on her own sometimes. not having to be held/rocked/walked. i'd like to be able to put her down in her crib, our bed, her car seat -- wherever -- i don't really care as long as it's not on me! we could do this with dd1. we'd get her to sleep then move her to her bed or the basinette or something. at 6 weeks i'm beginning to wonder if dd2 will ever sleep by herself.
#15 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 01:01 PM

We've got a new native and a simply attached (formerly made by MOE) from dd, and I bought a wrap from mama kangaroo off eBay. The last one is the only one I've used with ds since he was about 1 1/2-2 weeks old. I got it because it looked pretty close to a hug-a-bub (which we couldn't afford).

I haven't mastered nursing in the wrap yet, but we've only tried out one carrying position. :LOL I guess I'll have to branch out now that he's getting bigger. Slings never really appealed to me because I need the weight more evenly distributed, but I can see how it would be easier to use them for bf.

I'm curious as to how many here actually bf from their carrier?
#16 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 PM

my girls all nursed while being worn. when dd#3 was 3 weeks old i went to the zoo with all three of them and she nursed twice in the sling while we were there. we went out today and she nursed again. i don't need to use it so much at home because she pretty much sleeps and nurses, sleeps and nurses. i have put her in the kozy on occassion when i am preparing food or something and she doesn't want to be set down.

nursing in the kozy, i haven't tried that one yet. i think once she is bigger that's work. i don't remember if i ever nursed dd#2 in the kozy or not? and with dd#1 i used a baby bjorn early on and i know i nursed in that quite a bit
#17 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Maya Wrap for little babies/newborns--ERGO carrier for BIGGER Babes!

Sar
#18 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn
i sewed a ring sling before dd2 was born. i can't figure the derned thing out. don't like it one bit. it's uncomfortable and dd2 seems to despise being in it anyway. maybe it's because it's homemade or something. i used maya wrap's patter from their site.

i'm waiting (impatiently i might add) for the sachi mei tai i ordered two weeks ago. i think we'll really enjoy that. the bjorn isn't as comfortable as i thought it would be.
As for the ring sling . . .I can't get a Maya to be comfortable either. Truly, the fanned shoulder (Maya has an accordian style) is far more comfortable and easy to use. As for the Sachi . . .DD is very tiny still so maybe that's it, but I can't see it (or any MT) working really well until 4+ months. DD feels too wobbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn
kind off topic, but, honestly, i don't really like to wear dd2 all day.
I hear ya . . .with DD1 I'd get frustrated because I could rarely put her down so I HAD to find convenient ways of wearing her. Same is true with DD2. I've learned to just go with it because I'd rather no frustration/crying. Plus, she's fine with being held by others so that gives me some time alone, too.

#19 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Don't feel bad Aprildawn, I don't wear my DD all day. I carry her at home. I *rarely* use the sling at home yet- just if I need to do something and she is awake, but I still sit and hold her most of the time when she is awake or nursing. When she is asleep I put her in bed (if we're upstairs our bed, if we're downstairs the amby). But I couldn't possibly hold her all day and still play actively with my older two. And it is more comfortable to hold her with my arms if I don't need my arms for something else.

We mostly use slings for going out- the park, the store, walks, etc... at home she is usually in arms or asleep.
#20 of 30 Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Faeriepants.com Maya-style ring slings.
#21 of 30 Old 05-14-2005, 08:21 PM

I am using two right now. One is a front style carrier for long walking sessions where I need the support of both shoulders. The other is a pouch style sling that I sewed myself. The pouch is working well and I've been able to nurse dd while wearing her. It's really great when we've been in resturants or if I've been in and out of the car a few times in a day. I love that it's so easy to pop her into and go.

Both are making me hate my the car seat! :LOL

proudmama - I just realized we have "twins"
#22 of 30 Old 05-15-2005, 01:02 AM

I just tried out my sling. I had a ring sling with dd and ds that I have used less than 10 times. It hurts my back and shoulders. I bought a wrap sling (ultimate baby wrap) from a mama on here. I love it!!! I can't wait to use it on a regular basis.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#23 of 30 Old 05-22-2005, 07:29 PM

OK I finally figured out the sling thing and I'm loving my mom and me creations pea in pod pouch. I need a better shower solution though. I have an amazing baby water carrier but it's bulky and heavy, way too big for my gym/diaper bag.
#24 of 30 Old 05-22-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
I need a better shower solution though. I have an amazing baby water carrier but it's bulky and heavy, way too big for my gym/diaper bag.
You might consider the Water wrap

#25 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstarmama
LOVING the ergo baby carrier.
I'd love to hear more about the Ergo!

We have used a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch since our little guy was about a month old (he was 5 weeks preemie so kinda small), and he adores it but it hurts my neck. Still, it's often the only way we can get him to fall asleep if he's fussy or overstimulated -- I just make my DH wear it instead of me

Just got a Moby, and the weight distribution (i.e. off the neck/shoulder) ROCKS my world, but I would also love a no-wrap alternative front-carrier that doesn't put pressure on the sacrum in the way the Baby Bjorn does, just so I can pop him in and out without wrapping/unwrapping. So I'm looking into the Ergo, and wonder if anyone has other suggestions as well? Can anyone tell me more about the weight distribution & comfort of a Sachi or Kozy?

TIA!
#26 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsexton
Just got a Moby, and the weight distribution (i.e. off the neck/shoulder) ROCKS my world, but I would also love a no-wrap alternative front-carrier that doesn't put pressure on the sacrum in the way the Baby Bjorn does, just so I can pop him in and out without wrapping/unwrapping. So I'm looking into the Ergo, and wonder if anyone has other suggestions as well? Can anyone tell me more about the weight distribution & comfort of a Sachi or Kozy?

TIA!
I have no experience with an Ergo, but here's my opinion on mei tais (Sachi, Kozy, etc.) . . .love 'em! Now, in general wraps are always going to be more comfortable then anything else (for most people) but MTs are a close second. As far as which one . . .that's tough. There are SO many out there but I do happen to like my Kozy. I have a Sachi, too, but for my taste it is too padded, but I will be getting some of it removed and I think it will work well. One of the main things to consider with a MT is the body size-- Kozys are pretty long while Freehands are a lot shorter. (Some are wider, some are narrower, too.)

I would HIGHLY recommend finding someone IRL that you could try these on. It will save you a lot of time and money to try these carriers on in person before buying! Check for people here, on www.thebabywearer.com or http://www.nineinnineout.org/localgroups.htm

#27 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 05:24 PM

i bought an ergo after hearing so many positive things about it, and personally i didn't care for it. i thought it was hard to get my kids in and out of on my back, and i didn't like all of the buckles. i have owned 3 kozy carriers and i would chose the kozy over the ergo everytime. however, i didn't have the kozy with either of my other two as newborns. we are using it now with #3, but she doesn't love being in there yet. my older two still love riding on my back in the kozy. i think if you have neck or back issues the ergo is probably more comfortable, but i don't have either and i can carry my 30 lbs 3.5 yrs old for hours in that thing . i think once the babe has better head control and doesn't mind her legs being squished or separated she'll like it much better in there. that said, she will sleep in the kozy

i use my ring sling a lot still, but recently got a KKAFP and a KKACP, that way i can just throw it and the baby on and go. faster than the ring sling.
#28 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
I would HIGHLY recommend finding someone IRL that you could try these on.
Yes, soooo smart. I always forget this possibilty -- thank you!
#29 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex
i can carry my 30 lbs 3.5 yrs old for hours in that thing . i think once the babe has better head control and doesn't mind her legs being squished or separated she'll like it much better in there. that said, she will sleep in the kozy

i use my ring sling a lot still, but recently got a KKAFP and a KKACP, that way i can just throw it and the baby on and go. faster than the ring sling.
danaalex - when you say 'that thing' and 'in there' are you talking about the ergo or the kozy?
do you have a sense of whether the kozy puts strain on your neck, even if it doesn't bother you personally?

i love that we can get our guy to sleep in his KKAFP and then set him down, still asleep, in the pouch. i can't do that with the moby and that's one of the things i'm trying to find in a more structured front/back carrier.

i guess i really don't understand the differences between the different carriers i'd asked about...for example, i didn't even know the ergo had buckles!
#30 of 30 Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
I'm loving my mom and me creations pea in pod pouch. .
I love my PIAP too! So comfy!
Suzy

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page