Who else is nursing now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 15 month old son name Caleb J., and I nurse him now. It seems like he's increased his clinginess and nursing since I got (or maybe found out that I was) pregnant. I was just wondering who else is doing this? I am attributing this, in combination with being PG and active, that I am SO FRIGGIN HUNGRY! ALL THE TIME! But, on the good side, it seems like I already can't eat that much at one sitting! YAY!

ANyway, can I ask all you mamas with a kid or so already a few more questions.

Did your belly "pop" sooner? How soon?

I am trying to figure out how much time I have to break out maternity clothes from the basement!

How in the world do you tandem nurse?

I am excited for the bond between my children while they tandem (if DS decides to nurse that long), but I don't understand how the positioning is going to work!!??

Also, was your pregnancy rockier, as smooth, or smoother (as far as symptoms and complications in PG and labor.

Thanks so much for taking the time (if you did) in advance.
#2 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM

This is my second pregnancy so I can't answer your questions -- I haven't popped yet and can still fit into my regular clothes although I expect that to last a couple more weeks and then I'll have to transition to one size up in pants before full out maternity pants (I'm 5 weeks today).

Don't know how to tandem nurse and honestly, I kind of hope to easily wean dd before this one is due. Dd is 20 months and will be almost 2.5 yrs when the new babe comes. My water broke early last time (pre-term) and there's a chance that will happen again. I don't really want to have to worry about nursing two kids in the beginning (although, at 2.5 yrs, dd wouldn't be nursing much). I seriously considered night weaning last night because she kept me up from 3-4:15 and I have to get up at 4:45 for work. But, I know dd loves her "more" (that's what she calls it, not sure why although dh is trying to get her to say boobies - nice, huh?) so any weaning will be done gently.

Ok, I've rambled enough and didn't even answer your questions. Just happy to be here talking about having another baby!
#3 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, thanks for your reply! I am half-way considering trying to push Caleb J. into weaning. I want him to do it naturally, but, I don't want to overtax my body. I am wondering if there are any opinions about this. I don't know what to do...
#4 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Hi...I ahven't gotten up the guts to test yet..but i am fairly certain that i will be here i nacouple days. i will be nursing ds through this pregnancy and taneming..i am in exactly the opposite boat actually..lol i am taking herbs to help increase my milk supply so he doens't wean prematurely. the reason i am doing this is that if i wasn't pregnant he never would wean so early... so i'd like him to continue nursing until he is ready to wean.

(((hugs))) ladies
#5 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 01:00 PM

My ds is 14.5 months old and I'm still nursing him as well. I've never tandem nursed or nursed through a pregnancy so this is all a new experience to me...a scary and frustrating one at that. Last night my ds absolutely refused to fall asleep. I don't know what was up with him, probably teething, but all I wanted was to sleep and I just kept thinking "if I wasn't nursing and co-sleeping this would be much easier". I don't plan on weaning him though. I would not have weaned him before his second birthday under normal circumstances so I'm not going to do it simply because I'm pregnant.

I would love to hear from other moms who have tandem and nursed through a pregnancy though. How did you do it? How did you just not give up. How did you keep your energy up and make sure that yourself along with both babies were getting enough nutrients?

As for popping, I always popped around the same time, but that's different for everyone. Some people pop right away with their second.

My first 3 pregnancies were all super easy, so were the births. The 4th one I had a crazy pregnancy, but that was because I had a fibroid that grew to be the size of an ostrich egg, otherwise it would have been just as easy I think.
#6 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 PM

my dd was 18 months when i found i was pg with # 2, and we nursed throughout the pg. I believe my milk stopped around the 7th or 8th month but she still suckled for comfort, mostly when she got an ouchie or to sleep. I coslept with her through the pg too. tandem nursing is fun! it enhances the bond between the kids, imo and diminishes jealousy. at first i would nurse them both at the same time, every tim her new brother wanted milk she had to have some too!! but she grew more secure after a few days and she really didnt need to nurse that much, ya know. with my first my lactational amennhorea lasted until 18 months, but somehow, even tho im tandem nursing, i got my pd when rowan was 9 months and im now pg again! so ill be tandem nursing through this pg as well, and I hope my 3yr old dd doesnt self wean for a while!!

my pg was smoother, i did not 'pop' sooner. i was REALLY hungry too, and i am again. for tandem nursing - stacking the 2 works only till the little one gets big! little one in big ones lap. soon after, the little one grew uncomfortablle with nursing together so we nurse one at a time now. for nutrition - I am an unlicensed midwife and i have pee testing strips to monitor nutrition. even if you dont want an unassisted birth you can use these.. midwives use the same at appts. if you want more info let me know.

hope this helps. if you have any questions id be happy to answer!
#7 of 32 Old 09-10-2004, 07:47 PM
nym

I have found that the boy wants to nurse more now that I am preg. I don't think I have any less milk, maybe it just tastes better! I really really do not want to lose any milk while pregnant, I am not planning on weaning, and would like to tandem nurse.
What should I do to keep my milk supply up during pregnancy?
#8 of 32 Old 09-11-2004, 01:36 AM

Yep...Im nursing my 12.5 month old. He is very attached and nurses for nourishment too at this point so I surely hope he continues to nurse the whole pg and if not, I hope Im not the reason he quits. i am very nervous about this. I plan for him to self-wean and to tandem nurse but its all up to him.
#9 of 32 Old 09-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Len

I have a 5 yo nursling..... I'd really rather him to unplug before the new baby arrives, but I won't push it at all... Strange thing it's my nipples hurt when I shower but they don't hurt too much when ds nurses. Of course he only nurses for a few moments every day, but he has already told me that he can have the right boob and the baby can have the left

About your other questions, I don't know as this is my 2nd pgcy as well!
#10 of 32 Old 09-11-2004, 01:57 AM

I'm still nursing Margie who was 2 in April. ALL THE TIME... LOL She has really been nursing more since I've been pg (even before I knew) but I'm not sure if it's related or just coincidental.

b
#11 of 32 Old 09-11-2004, 01:22 PM

This is my second pregnancy and I'm still nursing my 28 month old son. I just started reading "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"--which I highly recommend. It's not only about tandem, but nursing through a pregnancy and what to expect. Sometimes I think it would be so cool to tandem. My son nurses a lot still (though he is pretty much night weaned from 10-5 am, with a very occasional middle of the night nurse), and doesn't seem ready to wean to me. He will have just barely turned three when the baby is born. Some days, it hurts so much to nurse that I don't know how I'll even make it through the first trimester.

One thing I noticed--for me, it actually hurts less if he nurses more frequently. It is actually that first nurse of the morning that is really sore, and the less time between nursings, the less sore I am. Weird. I just read the same thing in the tandem nursing book this morning.

As far as when do women pop with subsequent pregnancies. It seems like the ones I have heard, are about half and half. In my family, women don't seem to pop much earlier with the second--needing maternity clothes around 18 or 20 weeks. I have to admit, though, this past week I already bought a couple of pants in one size larger for the fall. I think I'm going to need them to be comfortable before I'm ready for maternity.
#12 of 32 Old 09-11-2004, 08:14 PM

every womans body is different of course. i tried what i knew to keep my milk supply going - excellent nutrition and diet, herbs etc, but my milk still stopped during my preg, but it didnt cause my little one who was over 2 to stop nursing at all and im now tandem nursing her and her brother. he had a low birth weight too, 5 lbs 1 oz. i think i needed my nutrients to go to my baby and not my milk. am a little woman, 5' 1" so maybe that had an influence as well.

blessed thistle, stinging nettle and rose hips {herbs} are known to keep up your milk supply, traditional medicinals {brand} makes a tasty "mother's milk" tea that works great.
#13 of 32 Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies, ladies!

Len, that is SO cute about what your 5 yo said about sharing!

Slightlycrunchy - thanks for the book recommendation. I'm heading over to amazon.com right now to see if they have any used ones!

That's really interesting that the nursers still nurse although they aren't getting any milk. It's very motivating.

After talking to MIL, who nursed most all of her 5 kids for 3 or 4 years, and did a lot of tandem nursing, and reading your posts, I am def. not going to try to wean my boy. I agree with what some of you ladies said, if I wasn't planning on weaning before now, why am I just cause I"m PG. I was worried, but now I know that you all are in the same boat, and women have been doing this for ages and have had strong, healthy babies. And I'm so going to get that book!
thanks again!
Also, MIL said that one of hers threw up more when nursing while PG. mine has thrown up twice in the past week and hardly EVER throws up. anyone else experience this? any theories?? maybe its because there's a change in the milk consistency. Is there a change at this stage?
#14 of 32 Old 09-13-2004, 09:25 PM

baby loo is 19 months now. i am almost 7 weeks and she seems to be cutting back a bit now but she did nurse lots when i was first pg. she slept through the night and i mean 9 pm to 6 am last night and the night before which is a first for her. she also told me a couple of nights ago that one breast was empty and the other one was yukky!! ha ha. i read adventures in tandem nursing and it said your milk actually gets saltier like they are weaning and this taste causes some kdis to wean. i doubt loo will. in some ways i wish she would b/c after reading the book and having lots of time to think about it (i miscarried in june at 8 weeks) i am not sure i am up to tandem nursing but i dont know how to wean either. sometimes it hurts so much and i know there isnt much there so i offer a bottle of milk instead. sometimes she takes and sometimes she insists on noo-noos so then i know she needs comfort not so much sustenance. nice to know we can be a support to each other!
#15 of 32 Old 09-14-2004, 01:39 PM

I am still nursing Noah - he is 9 months. I am freaking out about my supply dropping...
#16 of 32 Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM

I dont really belong in this post, just looking for thoughts, ideas and knowledge. My husband and I were just talking about this whole EBF'ing and Tandum nursing the other night. Our question was when your are pregnant and soon after birth you have... "colerstrum" (cant spell). Is this enough nutrients for an older child? We really don't know much on this subject, just trying to learn. So any answers would be cool... TIA
#17 of 32 Old 09-14-2004, 02:31 PM

I'm still nursing my 3 yo boy. But it's cut back a lot, and really I would like to wean him. I sort of hope he'll just do it himself, because he hasn't been very willing to wean. I really don't feel like tandem would be the thing for me, especially since he's old enough, in my opinion.

I don't think I ever "popped" but just slowly outgrew my clothes. Either it's started earlier this time, or I was chunkier to begin with. I feel like the PMS bloat never went away and got worse. I'm already thinking about bigger clothes.
#18 of 32 Old 09-15-2004, 01:37 AM

Hi,
I nursed ds until I was 5 months pregnant w/ dd. I don't think your milk turns to colostrum until sometime in the second trimester. I did wean ds slowly and gently. I had to nightwean to get pregnant so I started weaning before I got pregnant and it took 6 months. I knew that I didn't have the temperment to tandem nurse so wanted to stop early enough that ds didn't feel displaced. He did ask about nursing right before and after dd was born and I let him try to latch on and then unlatched him in a few moments. The funny thing was that after 3 months he really didn't remember how to latch on--after nursing 21 months you'd think he'd remember.

DD is still nursing at 20 months but only one time a day and the past 2 days she's been upset that there is no milk. I'm not sure why but I guess I'll let her wean.

RE: popping I think I did pop a little earlier the second time. My pregnancy was different--I was sicker but for less time, I was anemic at the end. I carried the same, though. I think the biggest thing was knowing what the aches andpains meant.
Anne
#19 of 32 Old 09-21-2004, 05:28 PM

Yes, am nursing Sam who is 17 months...he is a bit confused and squeezes my breasts and switches sides frequently saying "meh meh:???

Hoping to tandem nurse...milk supply comes back throughout preganncy yes?
#20 of 32 Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 PM

I can't answer your questions since this is my second, too ... but, I'm still nursing my 15month old, too. She slowed down the month before I got pregnant (enough to get my lp back up, lol), and then got right back to business nursing all day & night long. Tandem will certainly be interesting!!

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#21 of 32 Old 09-21-2004, 11:57 PM

I am still nursing my dd who is 3 3/4 yo, so I am not worried about supply and actually hope that this will wean her. I haven't read through the whole thread but is anyone feeling pain while nursing? Wowee am I in pain. It happened with my other pg this year too. It feels like it could be thrush (burning pain, but doesn't hurt to touch), but I know I had the same sypmtoms last time that just mysteriously went away when I m/c. Anyone? Help?
#22 of 32 Old 09-22-2004, 12:16 AM

I am nursing my 33 month old DD. She seems to nurse more fervently now that I'm pregnant, but still only really nurses before bed. She's only moved to this once a day pattern in the last couple of months. She'll still ask to nurse during the day occasionally, but not that often. I got pregnant with DD when DS was around 17 months old, he continued to nurse until he was 23 months and then weaned (2 months before DD's birth) so I never tandem nursed. I'll continue to nurse DD until she weans herself. I too, have really tender nipples. They seem a little better this time around, so we'll see. I would like to try tandem nursing but DD will be 3 and a half by the time the new bean arrives.
I popped really early with pregnancy #2, I was in mat. clothes at 9 weeks. But I tend to have a bit of a belly on me even when I'm not pregnant. I went to Cotton Ginny today and bought 3 tops in their Plus size small so I can wear them over pants with the tops button undone and folded under. They are cut a lot longer than the regular line and are way cheaper than regular maternity clothes!

Re. the question on colustrum, it is super rich in nutrients and antibodies, therefore perfect for a newborn. It certainly won't harm your older child though!
#23 of 32 Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_lily_mama

Did your belly "pop" sooner? How soon?

How in the world do you tandem nurse?

Also, was your pregnancy rockier, as smooth, or smoother (as far as symptoms and complications in PG and labor.
You mean my belly pooch was supposed to go away between pregnancies?? Seriously though, I haven't popped yet, only 6+ wks. but when I do start showing -- BAM I am showing. No transition. Normal clothes and then BIG ol' maternity dud.

As for tandeming... Don't know personally. I have mixed feelings. I would like to night wean Gabriel by the time arrives. I really don't think i will be able to handle BFing them both through the night.

All my pg's have been different, just like all their looks and personalities.
#24 of 32 Old 09-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

i'm nursing my twelve month old. she's still pretty much exclusively nursing but she's learning how to eat solids. i was worried about her starving and i really really don't want her to wean so i'm working to keep up my supply. she seemed frustrated a few weeks ago but is happy again. it really hurt about three weeks ago but it doesn't anymore.
#25 of 32 Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 PM

plum, i'm glad to hear it doesnt hurt as much right now. i noticed that too and had an irrational fear that i was going to miscarry again b/c the pain went away!! when i miscarried i had no pain while nursing and didnt realise til afterwards why. well i mean when i hurt like hell this time i figured it out!!

my 19 month old is nursing what seems like lots but maybe i just had less patience.

desdamona, night weaning is going well for us this time. i did try once before and it was awful so i figure she must be ready. i cannot imagine nursing two at night!! cassia did not sleep much at all (she woke 8-10 times a night) until she was 15 months so i am enjoying my sleep way too much now that it has returned. if the next one wakes the same way, i cant possibly do 2!! she has allergies and i think that was a factor.
#26 of 32 Old 09-27-2004, 02:26 PM

I am - sort of. My 26 month old told me yesterday afternoon after nursing of a minute or so, "Mama, milk all gone. Go play now." Ahhh! I have such mixed feelings. I have loved our nursing relationship and he has been slowing down on his nursing in the last few weeks, sometimes going a day or two without asking to nurse. But how sad if that was truly our last nursing. We will see. I did want him to self wean - wonder if this is what that looks like.

I love it that you are all still nursing!
#27 of 32 Old 09-27-2004, 10:09 PM

my dd 2.5 is in the process of self weaning... actually, I think she may have weaned, but everytime I say that, she asks to nurse again LOL..... So she is only "nursing" every 3 to 4 weeks right now... for 1 minute at a time

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#28 of 32 Old 09-29-2004, 04:24 PM

I am nursing my 15 month old ds. I have noticed a drop in my milk supply but it is still there and Lucas is happily nursing away. I get chronic mastitis (about once a month) and I am kind of worried about how that will work now that I am pregnant. Not sure what I can take for it. I don't know if I want to tandem nurse but I am not making any decisions yet. I have never nursed during a pregnancy so this is a bit new to me. I figure I will just take it as it comes, I am not ready to wean yet and neither is ds.. so I guess we will just trudge along

funny thing is I have no discomfort or pain when nursing my nipples were so sensitve with the other three pregnancies it is kind of surprising to me
crystal
#29 of 32 Old 09-30-2004, 01:16 PM

my 2 and 1/2 year old nurses somewhere between 0 and 3 times per day. Right now it is the about only way I can get him to take a much needed afternoon nap.
#30 of 32 Old 10-06-2004, 04:40 PM

I'm nursing my 13.5 month old. He's no where near ready to wean and I'd never push it on him... I hope my supply doesn't decrease for a long long time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page